Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not all of them were Ugly 4 drs

Google Image Result for http://www.maverick.to/pics/shaw_simpson_72_grabber.jpg
very nice. certainly were very few though that you'd see decked out that nicely. in dental school, i bought a friend's maverick and drove it for a couple years. it was inexpensive, reliable, plenty of room and fit the bill for that time in my life.

in 1974, i was in college and during the summer worked for a shoney's. one of the managers there had worked for shoney's a couple years while in high school, had just graduated and asked to be promoted to manager. which they did.

first thing he did was run out and buy a brand new maverick grabber. it was one of the patriotic additions...red, white and blue. nice car.

one night, he come in and does not have the car. he explains that the night before he was riding home and hit a cow. we had a rather good laugh at his expense, because we asked him how in the world did the cow run out in front of him. he never lived that one down.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The first Vegas had aluminum engines , without sleeves or hardened cylinders. You were lucky if they lasted 2000 miles. Friend had one. That's why business cannot be unregulated.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My Sister had a 72 Blue Maverick with a 200 6 in it and my BIL had a 72 Baby Blue Grabber with the 302 in it that would Fly as it became really light above 120 and the ft wheels would actually come off the ground.Scarry at that speed

·
Registered
964 Posts
A freind had a Spirit of America Impala, white with red, and blue pin striping if I remember right. This was about 20 years ago and then it was pretty much just a rusty(mostly surface rust)daily driver, but today it would be considered restorable. I once looked at a used cosworth Vega, guy turned it over and it jost popped(out of time), I made a hasty retreat and didn't make an offer. Almost bought a Vega wagon with a aluminum buick v8(250 cid, I think)had an adaptar and corvette 4 speed, $100 went home to think it over and called him back the next day to say I would take it and he decided not to change.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
In '73, my Uncle Jim was the business manager for a Chevy dealer and had a '74 Chevy Nova SOA for his demo - looked exactly like this:

In '76, I went out with a girl whose parents were filthy rich and bought her a brand new '77 Monza Spyder (a car I still like to this day):

I got lucky in that car...;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
I actually restored a '70 Maverick 2 door once. Ugly tan/yellowish color. Had a 250 inline six. I swapped the drum front brakes for disks, the rear end for a 5-lug version with a 2.70 ratio. I was going to put an Aussie head and intake on it with a two-barrel carb and 6-into-1 header, but a guy offered me $100 over what I had in it, so I sold the car. I still have the head, manifold, intake, header and the carb in the garage. I probably ought to Ebay it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I cant see Daves original pic but it seems like its a Vega????
My first car was a 72 Vega GT. Definately a rust bucket but what early 70s vehicle wasnt. That was a very good handling car. It came with 60 series tires, larger front and rear swaybars, posi rearend, power assist steering and brakes. Not much power from the engine *I think around 100HP) but in tight corners, probably one of the faster vehicles of its day.
I got rid of the Vega and got a 70 Camaro (girls dont like Vegas). The Vega could out handle the Camaro hands down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts