Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night on the interstate after work there are 2 cars, side by side barley doing the speed limit for about 15 miles, both guys on the cell, line of cars building up. I could not take it anymore, I checked my blind spot, then went to the center and hit it. I shot right up the middle, cleared both cars and then moved to the right lane. Maybe not the smartest thing to do but I just could'nt take it.

Eric

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think it's ok to do if A) it's within your riding ability and B) if it's legal in your state.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Too risky in my opinion, legal or not. I will (have) pass(ed) in the bike lane if there is one, on occasion. I'm sure that's not legal, however, it seems somewhat safer than trying to squeeze through 2 cages.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't trust two guys on their cell phones to maintain a straight course...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wouldn't trust two guys on their cell phones to maintain a straight course...

This, I have done it at intersections where someone is making a left and I'm going straight, or they're turning off the street but the other lane is packed.

Also when someone has been gong slow as sin and hits a red light I'll jump ahead, however the only state that I know of that lane splitting is legal is Cali and that's only under 15mph IIRC.

I wouldn't do it on the highway unless there was a nice shoulder to utilize and most certainly not at night, lots of rubbish ends up on the shoulders that can toss you to the ground!

·
Registered
228 Posts
it's a fairly dangerous game---russian roulette on wheels

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they were doing the speed limit why did you pass them?
They were barley doing the limit, after about 15 miles it just drove me crazy, they were slowing down, speeding up, but always maintained the same speed with each other.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They were barley doing the limit, after about 15 miles it just drove me crazy, they were slowing down, speeding up, but always maintained the same speed with each other.

You spotted a not so rare anymore breed. The cellphone wielding lemming, otherwise known as a CWL. While they used to be pretty rare, you see them more and more on the highway. They can easily be spotted, just look for the guy in the left lane doing the speed limit with his arm up at his ear!

I would probably not have passed like you did, rather I would have pulled off the to side and flashed my brights at the drivers and hoped they saw me. If not, I would have just hung back, because sooner or later the two morons may collide with each other, and you do NOT want to be close to behind them what that happens.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I guess I'm the camp of not splitting to pass them like many others here. It's dangerous, legal or not, at any speed. I probably would have flashed lights and/or horn to get their attention or increased the distance I was following behind as to not be so annoyed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
When I was a young whipper-snapper, I used to do that stupid stuff on my Sportster..they would actually move away from the bike, it was so loud...Thank God I now have more sense.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did it when I owned a sport bike. I was pretty reckless on that thing. That was 20 years ago. I look back at that time of my life and wonder how I made it out alive. With that being said, I wouldnt do it on my shadow. If I had to get around a car I probably would use the paved shoulder if there was one. If not I would just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
723 Posts
lane splitting is legal is Cali and that's only under 15mph IIRC.
It isn't illegal in California. There is nothing written into our code that says it is legal so there are no laws expressly defining what can or can't be done.
It is up to the determination of law enforcement as to whether or not you are riding in a " safe and prudent manner."

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Which sound better???
1. Having several Cages anoid at you, for splitting lanes and passing them, or moving to head of the line at a stop...
OR
2. Being between 2 of them, when somebody up ahead slams on there brakes, or someone back in the line doesn't stop.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It isn't illegal in California. There is nothing written into our code that says it is legal so there are no laws expressly defining what can or can't be done.
It is up to the determination of law enforcement as to whether or not you are riding in a " safe and prudent manner."

I stand educated, thank you!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Part right. It is LEGAL, provided you are going no more than 15MPH over the flow of traffic and are NOT speeding.
CORRECTLY splitting lanes on the Freeway is actually MUCH safer than, being between cars in Stop & Go traffic. You can see the bike that is between 2 cars. You do see the one that passes you.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Part right. It is LEGAL, provided you are going no more than 15MPH over the flow of traffic and are NOT speeding.
OK, please show me where in the CA code it says lane splitting is legal or any other law referring to specifics about how it is to be done.

Most states have laws some how prohibiting it. We do not, but there is nothing written to expressly say it is legal either. The CHP simply says it is "permissible" not the same as having a law making it "legal."

·
Registered
205 Posts
OK, please show me where in the CA code it says lane splitting is legal or any other law referring to specifics about how it is to be done.

Most states have laws some how prohibiting it. We do not, but there is nothing written to expressly say it is legal either. The CHP simply says it is "permissible" not the same as having a law making it "legal."
I don't know if it is simply permissible or legal. I do know that it is not against the law, which I have never understood. My opinion is that it is really dangerous - more so than simply moving along with traffic. Even though I ride a bike and therefore am particularly cognizant of people on bikes, I still sometimes fail to see the guys splitting lanes beside me until they are already past my front fender. IF I see them coming, I move over to give them more room, but a lot of times I don't see them, simply because I don't have my eyes glued on the rear view or side mirrors.

I've never done it and never plan to.

·
Registered
207 Posts
D a m n fogeys....it was only proper if you have a throttle lock so you can shoot 'em the bird with both hands as you blow by....f'n cagers. ;-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts