Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow riders. This is probably a dumb question, but I don't know much about engines. I purchased a relatively new 2005 spirit 1100 late last year. It had about 700 miles on it and it had it's 600 mile maintenance and oil change (according to the dealer). We had a 45 degree day so I moved it away from the garage wall charged the battery and started it up. Which I try to do a few times through the winter. I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes to warm up then brought up the rpm's a bit and ran it for a few minutes this way. Nothing too hard on it. However, when I tucked it back into winter position by duck walking it back against the wall, it reminded me of just how hot the stock pipe covers get. Hotter than any other bike I rode. At times during the summer, I could actually smell my jeans like they were being scorched by a hot iron. If I came into a hard and direct contact with the pipe covers, I'm fairly sure it could and would burn my leg. Is this normal for an 1100 Honda Shadow? Or do I just notice it more because of the location of the pipes in relationship to my leg. What has me thinking there might be a heat problem is that the bike started running poorly at about 1500 miles, and just changing the oil brought it back to normal. This tells me that maybe the engine is running too hot and broke down the oil. The plugs don't look bad. I've inspected them several times and they're a nice light to medium brown. But the bike actually feels cooler when I'm stopped waiting at a light than my Harley. Sitting still on a running Harley, I could just feel the heat radiating up from the engine which I don't feel on the Honda. I've never got any engine light, and the radiator fan hardly ever runs. Do I need to worry? ARE THERE ANY PROBLEMS THAT WOULD MAKE THE EXHAUST PIPES EXCESSIVELY HOT? Thanks for any input... Bocco

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bocco, your exhaust temp is ok. I have gotten burned on mine, leaning across them at the gas pump. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have an 1100 but i do have two different shadows and they both are hot enough to burn a little at normal running tempature. I have been told by many that it's normal.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If I run my 750 Shadow a couple of minutes in a dimly lit area, I can see the pipes glowing red hot under the heat shields. Everyone on here told me that it is normal and I tend to agree. The bike runs just fine and the fan seldom comes on if I'm moving very fast at all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmmm...
I could light my smoke on my pipes!
But, I quit going on 3 years now.
Great thing to do, yet a bummer some late nights...
Ok, cleaning the burnt rubber from my shoes off of the exhaust is not one of my favorite detailing jobs.
But Mothers Polish works great!
Yep, them pipes get hot.
All in a days ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts