Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a set of hardkrome american classics put on. these pipes are realy loud. maybe I was just use to the no sounding stock. but they are almost to loud to enjoy or will I just get use to them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
:p

What? You didn't like sounding like a News Helicopter anymore? :)

I am thinking of doing the holesaw mod to my stockers

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey shrek, the wife hasnt even heard them yet. might make you a offer you cant refuse. :D will they fit the sabre.

·
Registered
949 Posts
couldn't see why they wouldn't, 'cept maybe some bracketry issues.

I'm out peoples...heading to the war at home.

have fun everyone

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
TR,

The sound will definitely grow on you. I did the hole saw mod on my stockers, and was very disappointed. I love the HK sound, and they're not too annoying unless I really get into the throttle. Of course, all the sound is behind me, hehehe!

Are you planning to rejet? (Not trying to open wormcans here)

CB

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
trjam said:
just had a set of hardkrome american classics put on. these pipes are realy loud. maybe I was just use to the no sounding stock. but they are almost to loud to enjoy or will I just get use to them.
I tried the drag pipes and ended up going back to stock. You might try different baffles to lower the volume if you can't "get used to them" or find that you really don't like them. Or hell, they might just grow on you and you end up loving them, different strokes. Go on a semi long ride with them and see how you like them, that's what settled it for me.

Sam

·
Registered
198 Posts
Once the hearing in your right ear kind of deadens you will get used to the sound of those HK's... :lol:

There are some companies out there that make baffles that will fit most pipes.

www.bigcitythunder.com

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Linemech said:
...You might try different baffles to lower the volume...
There are no baffle options on the American Classic Straights like there are on some other HK models and other brands. The ACS are double-wall straight pipes with a welded non-removable core.

Here is a link to the HardKrome FAQ page that discusses baffles as well as rejetting recommendations.

CB

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
CleoBen said:
There are no baffle options on the American Classic Straights like there are on some other HK models and other brands. The ACS are double-wall straight pipes with a welded non-removable core.

CB
That is amazing, non removable baffles. I like how you say "not too annoying", not to start any loud pipe debates. TR, definately go on a long ride and see how you like them. Some people love the loud pipes and some don't. Your choice.

Sam

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did rejet. On the open road they sound great, creeping through the neighborhood is a different story and I leave for work at 4:30am each day. I wonder if some of the sound is resonating off of the windshield.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have them and I like them. You can idle around pretty good when you don't want to offend anyone but they sure sound sweet running down the road. I love listening to my motor work and when you have the HK's its all there for ya.
Jeff

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
TRJAM

If you have seen some of my posts lately, you will see one on my pipes. I had an accident and had to replace my cobra drags. I liked the ay they sounded at all rpms so I had the insurance company replace them with the very same model. When I took the bike back, I was very surprised to hear that there was a huge difference in sound. I checked for leaks around the gaskets and compared the old one vs. the new ones to see if there were any holes in the old or new ones that weren’t in the other set. Well, the folks on this forum whom I trust and respect very much generally told me to wait until I had some mileage on it because the baffles have to start to coke up. I went and spoke with Cobra and the dealership and tey both backed p the general opinion I got on this forum. I wish the originals would be a little deeper in sound and so was disappointed that these new ones sounded so tinny. I have now put on 400 miles since I got them back and I clearly hea a difference already. I trust they will return to the sound I had before. I think, as mentioned in this thread by other, you should put some mileage behind you before deciding to do anything.

Just my .02c

·
Registered
943 Posts
yeah....after you put the mileage on, if you dont like them,we could always talk, I'm only a little ways away from getting new pipes....lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well the dealer put the stock back on today and gave me a full refund. They are just going to put them on a new bike to sell and pass the cost along. Maybe I am a old fart but the HK gave me a frigging headache after riding an hour. The stock, maybe not the best for performance or sound, suit me fine for what I now know I wanted. I may get bashed for this, but quite isnt always bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, Hardkrome makes some of the loudest pipes around. I had them on my '96 Ace 1100 (they came on the bike) and I hated them. Made my ears ring after a long ride. I ended up trading the bike because I really couldn't quiet it down, and didn't want to spend 1k on a bike that was already 10 years old.

·
Registered
76 Posts
pipes

No bashing here....what i want to know is if the dealer charge you a 20% "Restocking Fee". My honda dealer in Raleigh, NC does. It kills me to know they charge 20% to walk in the back and put something back on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey TR...

I am really sorry that you didn't like the pipes. I understand about the noise though. Leslie is on me quite a bit about the noise when I start the bike at 6:30...I could imagine what she would say if it was 4:30. But then again, I live in an apartment complex.

I am glad though that the dealership made it all good. I would have to say that it isn't the norm.

Just curious though...did you leave the rejet in place? if so, how is that working out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts