Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor that the RS was discontinued. When i checked the honda moto website they had no 2014 RS listed, only the 13. what a shame !

I ride a 13 and really like it, this isn't going to make it easy to get parts!

speaking of im looking to upgrade my exhaust and im hitting a wall.
so far I've only found 3 Cobra options.
I haven't even check Jardine as i blew through 2 exhausts from them in 2 months on my rebel due to shoddy welding.

Vance and Hines have some suppppppppper nice pipes that i love, but i can't seem to get an answer as to if they will fit the RS or not. They are marketed to fit the shadow spirit which has the same CC as mine. im wondering if i could make it work. anybody ever tried?

heres a link to the v & H pipes:

SHORTSHOTS STAGGERED BLACK | VANCE & HINES PRODUCTS

· Premium Member
7,692 Posts
One way to find out. Go to a site with oem parts and look up the part number of your RS exhaust and do the same with a spirit. That should tell the tale. Looking at your pics in another thread, they look identical to my spirit exhaust.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't find !

yea I've been searching online and i can't seem to find OEM exhaust sold on any oem site. im wondering if they don't sell oem exhaust since you can buy pretty much the same one from cobra??

· Registered
1,696 Posts
I do not think you can legally upgrade your exhaust any more in CA on bikes model year 2013 and newer, unless it is stamped as an EPA compliant exhaust, and I'm not sure if any aftermarket mfg is marketing one.

And no non-compliant exhausts mfg after 1/1/2013 allowed on any bike.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not concerned with legality. If I get a ticket I can always switch back . Aside from that I'm not sure that's true,
I upgraded the exhaust on my last bike and sold it to a dealer no problem about 6 months ago.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
We should all rebel. It's a silly and frustrating non-solution to a relatively benign problem - and all it accomplishes is to generate some extra revenue.

CVC 27202.1. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person shall not park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of California, that does not bear the required applicable federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system label....
(d) (1) This section is applicable to a person operating a motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'm not sure how they could ever get in trouble for that, since they aren't illegal for sale in california just seem to be some restrictions on use.
V and h don't sell direct anyways, you have to find a distributor.

· Registered
4,079 Posts
While not directly related, they may be a bit gun shy...or still working on it.

What's New List Serve Post Display
Apparently, V&H didn't bother to comply to a required 'engineering evaluation.' True, they knowingly
might not have passed the said 'engineering evaluation,' thusly, instead invoked the 5th, lol.
Personally, I don't know of many older bikes that have a catalytic converters, or equivalents, in their
stock pipes. Are these earlier bikes exempt? Don't know the cut-off year. Excerpts from your link, below.

California anti-tampering laws prohibit the sale, distribution and installation of parts
that modify the emissions control systems of vehicles
  • unless the modifications (*omitted thingies*) are proven to neither
    reduce the effectiveness of those systems nor cause excess emissions.
At the time of the investigation, ARB found that Vance & Hines had not taken *advantage*
of an industry-requested regulation adopted in early 2009.

The regulation allows aftermarket motorcycle exhaust manufacturers to legally sell
their products once they undergo an engineering evaluation to ensure they are
durable and meet applicable emission standards.

Parts successfully completing this process receive an Executive Order exemption that
[legally?] allows their sale and installation on pollution-controlled motorcycles.

"Vance & Hines fully cooperated with ARB in the investigation and has implemented a
compliance plan for its aftermarket exhaust systems."
"Compliance plan" aside, does it mean that V&H, et al., is liable for the cost of a recall? It's not a
safety recall but the same gist. In this situation, did V&H delay the engineering evaluation to sell
their old stock? Or is the onus wholly on the unaware buyer? For example, the rider fails to pass
the safety check, and the aftermarket pipes are just the latest souvenirs.

There's a gray area here and possibly to the advantage of V&H, in that, the 'engineering
evaluation' is a requested compliance, at least worded that way, rather than a strict requirement.
*Btw, just for conversation.*

At the time of the investigation, ARB found that Vance & Hines had not taken *advantage*
of an industry-requested regulation adopted in early 2009.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
A regulation is a regulation. I am not entirely familiar with the particular V&H case, but the judgement was just last year and I don't know if their exhaust has yet been certified legal for sale.

V&H are fined. I do not know if they will just pay or if they will challenge, and I do not know if that has already been hashed out. It kinda reads like they will or have already paid the fine. There would likely be no recall, and yes the onus is on the owner of the bike to have their bike in compliance. The whole thing sounds kind of wanky to me. What about strictly racing bikes? Two Brothers says on their site that no aftermarket exhaust is legal in the US and that their exhausts are strictly for racing. I do not know what statute V&H actually violated, and it is disappointing not to see it reference in the article, but it probably had something to do with them marketing exclusively to street bikes.

My whole intent here is to just offer an explanation as to why an exhaust system might be hard to find. I thought the OP's bike was a 2013 model and was impacted by the latest vehicle code, but also, Kim is not concerned about this aspect anyway...

I hope someone can help her find a nice exhaust system.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bike is a 2013 model, but was manufactured in 10/2012 according to the Vin. So not sure what applies and what doesn't. Anyway it seems all a moot point now as my mechanic confirmed the v and h"s won't work on the rs :( much to my dismay!!! He says the only exhaust that will fit the RS are the Cobras, which are so similar to the stock pipes I don't think its worth the cost of rejetting + new pipes. I think I'm just going to black powder coat my heat guards for now and if I like it I will coat the whole thing.
Does anyone have aftermarket pipes on their RS to share?

Have a good night everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.