Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a v-twin before, and my inner upper leg keeps getting burned (at least 2nd degree) on the exhaust for rear cylinder. :cry:

Anyone come up with a solution to this (commercial product or otherwise)?

I tried a pot holder as shown (stuffed between the tool box cover and exhaust shield) , but it apparently was touching the actual pipe and started to smoke, so I had to remove it.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Jeans cut leather pants for me, lets plenty of breeze up and saves the legs from bugs n burns

My bike has 2 pipes there and the front pipe runs there too

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Well, you might just have to learn how to keep off it. I thought maybe a custom piece of sheet metal bolted somewhere around there and routed around to the outside - won't need to be that big. I noticed recently that my leg started getting warm on my Sabre, not on the pipes because mine are lower than your Spirit's, but on the engine head. I've been hanging my heels on the passenger pegs for a more sporty riding position :D.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Too hot/warm for them most of the time.
Deal with it.

You should be wearing long pants anytime you ride. either deal with hot legs in pants or burned legs in shorts..... I'll take only uncomfortable pants over a burn.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Deal with it.

You should be wearing long pants anytime you ride. either deal with hot legs in pants or burned legs in shorts..... I'll take only uncomfortable pants over a burn.
I was gonna say ... Being an English dude with, like, no tolerance for heat - now living in Arizona.. If I can ride in the AZ summer in shorts and armored over-pants.. :lol:

But .. I didn't, and if you think I did, it was all a figment of youse-guy's imaginations ;)

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,933 Posts
Don`t wear shorts!!!
Might try chaps for more protection???
I think I`m glad I got the VT750:D
Good Luck,
D

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well since you don't want to wear pants to protect your legs enjoy the burn. I'd rather be a little uncomfortable sitting at a stop light on a tarred road wearing pants than getting burned by my exhaust pipe. I learned my lesson after getting bit twice by the hot exhaust pipes on my Kawi when at a younger age. I got smart really fast after that.

· Registered
5,978 Posts
One thing I do not do is ride in shorts....:roll: I always wear my jeans and my chaps, as you mention that area is very hot even when just wearing jeans, now with wearing my chaps my leg never feels the exhaust heat even in 100 + days and hours of riding.

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
now with wearing my chaps my leg never feels the exhaust heat even in 100 + days and hours of riding.
Like I said, I NEVER get burned while actually riding down the road, so for me too, my leg would never feels the exhaust heat even in 100 + days and hours of riding.

It is getting on & getting off the bike when the bugaboo occurs (i.e with direct contact with exhaust shield. :-(

· Premium Member
560 Posts
Me too...

It only took me one time to learn. Ok.... three times.
Living and working outside in Florida I wear shorts while riding quite frequently and like SOMOS, it only took me one time to learn, one time to learn, one time to learn, one time to learn and one time to learn. Oh and P.S.... continual exposure to burning flesh will NOT damage the chrome. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.