Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the look of the stock pipes, and the "custom" ones from places like Cobra and V&H are very similar. I really want shorter pipes.

So, while removing my engine, I examined my pipes. I believe I can remove the muffler part and just have the pipes. Then put on a (short) slip-on muffler system.

Is this a good idea? I'm not necessarily looking for louder (I get migraines, and want to limit that), just shorter.

Also, if I do this, I know I need to adjust the carbs. Do I also need to re-jet the carbs?

Thanks!

Registered
yea you definitely can remove the muffler and clamp on new tips. If you do I recommend lollipop baffles to give a little back pressure. The intake if far more picky about modifications than the exhaust so it should run alright but will be loud. I did something similar to my exhaust except that I welded mine up and made it 2 into 1. Interesting side note I learned when I did that, the exhaust is double walled. there's a thin outer wall that is chromed for appearance and then a thicker steel pipe inside. I removed the inner wall to save weight but it will likely rot fast. When it does Ill just make a new one.

Attachments

Registered
I have individual pipes on my 1983 750, not sure if yours are 2 in one or 2 in 2. But you can put on aftermarket mufflers with no carb jetting required many times, if it is running fine now. I found Harley sportster/Dyna mufflers cheap since there are so many take off parts available.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! It is a 2 into 2 system (that I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep). Thanks for the heads up on the Sportster/Dyna mufflers, swifty!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up question - is there an easier way to remove the muffler from the pipes? I have the heat shields off, but the mufflers won't budge. I'm worried about banging on them, but my search-foo is horrible and I can't find anything to give me an idea on how to remove the mufflers without banging on them.

Any thoughts would be awesome!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Kris Carr
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing