Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Spirit 750 and am about to put some Cobra pipes on it. When I make the change will I need to jet out my carb or do any other work on the bike?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If your just adding pipes, you may just get by with adjusting the air screws. These bikes are jetted lean from the factory so any mods done will make them run even leaner (not good) so if you go with an after market air filter, you will definetely have to rejet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just ordered my pipes this morning

just to make sure i don't screw this up ... as long as i keep my air filter stock ... i'll be ok without jetting it out?? i will probably eventually jet it out, but not sure when that'll be

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It varies from bike to bike. Most bikes are okay as long as the air/fuel mixture is adjusted, but for some bikes that's not enough. You'll know once you get the pipes on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you aren't adding any aftermarket baffles and you don't live at high altitude, chance are you will need to re-jet. Check your spark plugs now, if they are light brown than you are running where you should be. If they are really light brown or almost white, you are already running lean and any new pipes wil make it run even leaner. If you are lucky, they will be dark brown to black which means you are running rich and new pipes will put you right where you need to be. You'll know if you start popping on decel or backfiring after you put your new pipes in. Means you are running too lean or you didn't put in new crush gaskets and you have an exhaust leak at the header.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Did you order crush gaskets? They're usually sold separately from the order. Be sure to order the right size or I'll pay you to take my mis-ordered crush gaskets for souvenirs. Also, installation deserves it's own separate post. For example, the Cobra flanges (pic below) tend to bend when you tighten down the acorn nuts to the exhaust studs. Very difficult to get the proper torque value if not in the extreme, strip the threads in the aluminum engine with a steel bolt. The nut actually locks on to the stud and turns together (you'll see). Pics below are from my photo library of a '07 Shadow 600, but I presume about the same situation with a Shadow 750. Again, if you like, post a new thread about the installation nuances. Your bike.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
FYI, If you don't want to wait for crush gaskets (if you end up having to order them) you can just take the old ones to an auto parts store and match them up with ones made for some Toyota, Nissan or Honda autos, which use the same identical size as our Shadows do and they're a alot cheaper. I get mine at a Fleet Farm store here for $2.99/each.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So im new to the do-it yourself motorcycle work ... what is a crush gasket?

Dummy it down for me haha

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Cack5,
Your not dumb. All of us had to ask questions from time to time if we are not familiar with a certain part of our bike, and that's what makes this forum priceless for new owners. Eventually after finding your answers, you will find you will no longer need to take your bike to a shop and pay exorbited prices to get work done on it!! A plus for sure.

The "crush gasket" is the ring of round metal (copper or aluminum) which is inside the opening where your header pipe goes into the head on your engine. So when you tighten the head bolts, the gasket forms to seal the space between the pipe and the head, getting "crushed" in the process. It recommended to use new ones when installing new pipes, because the old ones are already crushed and are not effective in re-sealing the opening, which is important to keeping the bike running properly. I have re-used old crush gaskets with good results, but most don't get that lucky. Just get new ones and save yourself a possible headache.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah makes sense now. Thanks

A co-working and i are going to install these tomorrow (hopefully on our lunch break) and have an advanced auto 5 minutes away ... and i work for an automotive distribution company so i shoulhave everything i need haha

Is this going to be as simple as it seems? Just a few bolts and gone? I know some stock pipes are welded on. Will i need to weld the new pipes or do anything else?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is this going to be as simple as it seems? Just a few bolts and gone? I know some stock pipes are welded on. Will i need to weld the new pipes or do anything else?
In theory, yes... you won't have to weld anything. A metric socket set and metric box wrenches should take care of it. Still waiting for MY crush gaskets to get here (geez, i orderd these on the first!) so i can't tell you form personal experience yet. I did make sure all my exhaust bolts weren't super torqued or rusted on. Looks like I will have to remove the outer muffler to be able to get to the bolts on the cylinder but it looks pretty simple so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i took my pipes off last night ... besides getting the "bracket" bolts the bolts connected to the cylinders were fairly easy to get off with an extension ... the others took a little more elbow grease but not too bad

·
Registered
340 Posts
How's the performance? Did you find you needed to adjust your mixture screw or are you not experiencing any popping on decel?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts