Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, this is my first attempt at thread so , here goes.

I came into possession of an '04 750 aero with aftermarket vance and hines . I don't know if re-jetting was done. how important is that. by the way , this is my first Honda far more than 30 years. the last one I owned was a new gl 1100. so, to check the plugs can I just pull one and look to see the color ? the bike only has 4,000 miles in the ten years since new or at least that is what the odometer says. if that is accurate it has a significant number of storage dings and possibly a clutch problem.

i'm going to try to post a picture but don't remember what has been instructed for doing that so I will go by the old saying "if all else fails--read the instructions"

Attachments

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Congrats! If it runs good and doesn't pop on deceleration then it should be good. Look for a blue discoloration on the pipes which could indicate a lean situation. If not then ride it! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
howdy thanks for the quick response, it seems to run great but is a little louder than I want with the aftermarket pipes. they must be pretty much straight pipes. there is no bluing of the pipes. now I just need to spend about what I already have in it for all that special gear---

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
ken

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the forum man! You'll probably want some fresh plugs anyhow. If it were me I'd put some in and check them every hundred miles or so. As was mentioned you can watch for overheating pipes. Your tires are probably pretty old. How is the bike running after all the storage?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
The Aero has a single 34mm CV carb. If it's been sitting up for a bit with fuel in it, I'd pull the carb for cleaning anyway and pull the main jet to check for size. That way you can answer your own question about jetting. My opinion is that you should always rejet with aftermarket pipes. It is important for fuel economy and power in middle to top end. The clutch problem is probably sticking friction discs due to lack of use. No way is a clutch bad after 4k miles. A proper oil change and just plain use will usually fix that issue. Make sure you use oil that is not extended life and does not contain friction inhibitors. If you want a recommendation, I use this ... "]Amazon.com: Valvoline (VV740-6PK) SAE 10W-40 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Case of 6): Automotive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
howdy, thanks for the reply , beezer . the bike was running a bit rough after all the storage. the first ride from the seller was about 30 miles freeway. it was idling way high and burbling a little at 60 mph steady. I figured they were trying to cover plugged idle jet. I filled when I got home and put a couple ounces of seafoam in and turned the idle down to probably 1500 and ran the tank through and it seemed to run very much better so I turned the idle down to somewhere near normal and it is running great. it blips great and sounds nice with the aftermarket exhaust. hopefully i'll not find more storage problems. i'm seriously considering taking it in to the local Honda shop and getting oil change, valve adjust, plugs and a clutch adjust. they can then let me know any problems they find. it will cost, but should be a little peace of mind. I followed it with someone else riding and notice what sounds like a little flat spot when getting into the throttle and that could be signs of jetting problem. the guy riding it adjusted the clutch lever and thinks the clutch needs internal adjustment. I found no problem originally except the engagement started immediately.

ken

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Don't waste your money having valves adjusted just yet. Manual says 8000 miles, but many don't touch them until 10-12000.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Would give serious consideration to replacing any tires that sat for 10 yrs., even if tread looks perfect and bike only has 4K miles.

Just my opinion. The key phrase being: 'sat for 10 years.'

Being a tightwad in my younger years, I still somehow managed to survive 3 motorcycle blowouts....two rear tires; one front tire.
In only 47 years of riding.

Also rode broncs and a few bulls.
A blowout is much more intense....pucker factor off the charts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts