Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing the forums, one of the ads caught my eye so I decided to check it out for curiosity. It was the ad for Scooter Depot. They offer scooters from around $700 to a couple grand. Based on the price I can only assume that they are very low quality and not meant to be there for the long haul. Has anyone seen or ridden one of these? They seemed priced to be a disposable toy but I was just curious as to their quality and performance. I'm not interested and purchasing one...just wondering.

Anyone think they might be of some use as a basic learning tool, for say a young rider or timid female (or timid male for that matter)? Along with the MSF course obviously. :D

ScooterDepot - Moped Scooter - Wholesale|Retail|Distributor|Importer|Trader

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ya get what ya pay for...might be OK for just foolin' around and the size might be good for learning, but I sure wouldn't expect any durability.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Rebel 250 would be a good bet - used for well under 2k - as a starter bike. They are bullet proof, light and easy to ride and very plentiful.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A coworker is into scootrs and a forum he goes todoes nothing but list things wrong with the Chinese scooters they sell, no durability and cheaply made, as the price shows.

Dauntae

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There is a place here in town that rents the 50cc scooters out. They are a lot of fun to bop around town on. Too slow for anything but in town driving though. In a crowded urban environment they would be awesome. Durability is certainly an issue. The owner of the rental place said he only gets a couple of months out of a scooter. Of course being a rental they get abused but that's still not a very good track record. He also said in parts availability is a big issue and in most cases it's cheaper and quicker to just replace the scooter when it breaks down and keep the old one for parts.

For a new rider starting out, a cheap used bike is the best thing IMO. Rebels, Ninja 250's and a whole slew of 80's UJM's are usually found dirt cheap on craigslist. Buy one, learn to ride on it, don't have to cry when it gets dropped, and the best part, when you're done with it sell it on craigslist for what you paid for it to begin with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts