Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Think 91 may be unnecessary, the stock compression ratio does not require it. Unless they changed pistons, regular is fine. Exception being, if it pings, maybe due to advanced ignition timing, then use 91

I would use ethanol-free any octane rating over the ethanol blend if it's available. Ethanol is not carb-friendly.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Turns out it was the carbs dirty. I was trying to find every excuse to not pull the carbs off but had to since the bike didnt run right. I pulled the lower portion off both carbs to find all jets were clogged with black stuff guessing old gas. So i cleaned all that out and put everything back together. I took it for a test ride and sure enough all good now. Feels good since it was the first time i felt the bike run correctly.

Now my issue is even if the bike is warmed up it will idle on its own for 10-15 seconds then die but fires right back up. When riding and coming up to a light i pull the clutch in and the bike dies. So now to figure that out.

You might adjust the throttle stop to bring the idle speed up a tadd, to get to stop shutting off like that...
OR that May only be of no help IF things are still clogged,
D

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I can tune a efi engine no problem. i built my first engine when i was 13. Yet, i have no damn clue where the idle adjustment screws are on the carbs. I cant remember the carb when i had them off.

At the carb end of the throttle cables you`ll see the thumbscrew to adjust the throttle stop/idle speed...
Clockwise will speed it up a tad, (IF I remember correctly)...
Some folks like to turn the idle WAAY Down, BUT ???

This MAY NOT cure your stalling problem though, IF it`s still got trash internally...

Good Luck,
D

It being 29 degrees this morning, I`ll wait for our "high" of 45 before I straddle the saddle, for my trip to town...

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I guess we're lucky in Phoenix. I leave to work around noon and go home around 10. The low is 45ishand high is 55ish. Thank you ill try and see if it fixes the issue. Is it possible the screws can come out of adjustment over time? I cant see how considering its a 99 and only has 7,776 on the clock.

I`m thinking there might be a spring on the thumbscrew to keep tension on it, BUT???
Mine`ll stay where I adjust it to, if I don`t bump it...
It ain`t loose by any means...

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Im at work and the bike is with me. When i get home i will adjust it to see if it fixes my issue. Thank you for your help alot. I appreciate it. I took it on the freeway today and got on it to see if it possibly could clean out the carb and the min i got off the freeway and came to a stop it died(clutch in first gear in case i need to move out of the way.). Now that i know the ignition has been tuned, pipes, rejet and hypercharger would it be expected to have pops out the exhaust under deceleration?

The clutch IS adjusted correctly, ain`t it??
Meaning > it`s not the issue?
Afterthought > You might wanna run a couple shots of Seafoam (or equivalent) through a couple tanks of gas to help clean the crud from those passages too...
Just thinking outloud,
D

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Im on my second tank of gas wince i have owned it(3weeks). I put seafoam in the first tank to see if it could clear it up. It rained today so i just took the truck i havent had time to work on the bike. From riding it i cant tell or feel the clutch out of wack. My buddy that had a 2006 R6 rode my bike when the idea was "FLOOR IT!" to see if it would clear out the carbs.... failed. He said it felt good he liked the clutch better than his. Im just wondering if it is the idle adjustment. it does seem to idle normal but then again i cant find a video of someone just letting the bike idle normally without red lining the darn thing. When riding i have to very slightly keep on the throttle to keep the bike idling otherwise it will shut off on me at the light or even in a turn. I turned right at a light at about 3000-4000 rpm(no tach so no clue) and the bike died mid turn. I either clutch in and start it again or drop a gear and dump the clutch to get it started again.

How about the air filter?, Has it been changed or does it need to be???
Mine has been sitting TOO LONG!
Unable to ride due to Drs. orders, BUT I`m back in the saddle and adding miles to the 164,000 already on it ;)
However this morning`s 24 degrees kinda puts a damper on my riding,
Dennis

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Just past sunday i cleaned the filter has a hypercharger on it. I had the k&n cleaning kit since all my cars have k&ns. My neighbor had a 99 600 he thinks its the choke. He says that its possible that i push it back in to turn it off its closing off the carb to much to idle.

I'd have to question your neighbor's knowledge of this bike. These don't have a choke butterfly etc to close it off. The "choke" knob opens an enrichment port in each carb, enriches the mixture and speeds up the idle. if it dies when pushing the knob in you probably need to remove the caps over the pilot screws if you haven't yet, then remove the pilot screws and blow some carb cleaner through the passages. idle speed knob on left side could be way off also. pay attention to the parts diagram, don't lose anything and put them back in the correct order.

Hey yall, i need some help with my foot controls. I am new here but couldnt find a post with what i need. So i just bought a 1999 Shadow ACE(VT750CD) and the prior owner was over 6ft tall. The issue im having is the foot controls have been extended due to his height. I need to go back to the orginal linkages but cant find them or the part numbers. I need to know what it looks like orginally, part numbers, a stock pic and if i can use the existing foot rests with oem linkage. I dont have anything to compare it to. To give a little background he was over 6ft and i am 5ft 5 at 120 lbs. Another issue is my right foot has a limited range of motion due to a disability so i need to bring the brake pedal up and rearward so i can push it down easier. In order for me to ride the bike i have to basically sit on the tank. Yes i can ride it but not to comfortable have the chrome covers that covers the power distribution and tool kit area press in the back of my thighs. I appreciate any and all help from y'all. I have included a pic of the bike(one in the back is my dads).

Thank you!
B
Hey yall, i need some help with my foot controls. I am new here but couldnt find a post with what i need. So i just bought a 1999 Shadow ACE(VT750CD) and the prior owner was over 6ft tall. The issue im having is the foot controls have been extended due to his height. I need to go back to the orginal linkages but cant find them or the part numbers. I need to know what it looks like orginally, part numbers, a stock pic and if i can use the existing foot rests with oem linkage. I dont have anything to compare it to. To give a little background he was over 6ft and i am 5ft 5 at 120 lbs. Another issue is my right foot has a limited range of motion due to a disability so i need to bring the brake pedal up and rearward so i can push it down easier. In order for me to ride the bike i have to basically sit on the tank. Yes i can ride it but not to comfortable have the chrome covers that covers the power distribution and tool kit area press in the back of my thighs. I appreciate any and all help from y'all. I have included a pic of the bike(one in the back is my dads).

Thank you!
Did you ask the prior owner if he saved the parts he took off? I used scoot mods to extend mine and know you will need the stock brake rod for sure. Assuming it's similar to my 2006 spirit.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.