Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home from my lunch time ride yesterday when I decided to stop and get some fixins for lunch. My wanderings had taken me past a weathy subdivision south of town and there was a grocery store conviently located next to it. I go into the store and quickly find most of what I wanted so I'm wandering up and down the condiments section looking for hot sauce when who should appear but the store manager. He says to me, "May I help you find something, Sir?" A quick glance the other way confirms that yes, he's talking to me. So I'm thinking, here I am, an older fellow pushing the higher side of 50, long gray beard, black leather jacket, jeans, chaps and boots. The roads are still a bit sloppy with all the snow melting so I have a bit or road grime on me as well. How nice that the store manager would take the time out from a busy lunch crowd to help little old me. So I says, "Yea, where can I find the Mexican hot sauce?" He says, "That would be on isle 12. May I take you over there and show you where it is, Sir?" I says, "Naw, I think I can find it ok myself". But you know he was kind enough to follow me over there and make sure I found it ok. Then he made sure I didn't have any trouble finding the check out counter as well. Such a nice biker friendly place. I'll have to make a habit of stopping there more often. :D

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Hindsight being 20/20 next time you go into the store, step in some dog poo just before entering and see if you can get the manager to run over to aisle 12 and bring you the hot sauce and maybe a few more items and meet you up at the check-out. :wink:

Also introduce yourself, eventually (if you keep with the program) I am sure all you would have to do is call in your order......have it brought right out to your bike. :wink:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Did you get his name so you can ask him for help as soon as you get in the store next time?

[sarcasm]
It is nice to get preferential treatment. Now you know how the movie stars feel. I bet he was also protecting you from the paparazzies that frequent the store looking for all the wealthy people who normally shop there. See...he was just looking out for your well being.
[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Don't forget to stop there everyday after a ride, just for a bottle of water. Don't forget to bring friends.

·
Registered
236 Posts
LOL, now that is funny. You have a great sense of humor San. I probably could not have bitten my tounge as well as you did.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Every once in awhile, I stop at a beverage store on my way home to pick up some beer or booze. It's always a quick stop - so when I'm on the bike, I keep my full-face helmet on. The first couple times I did so, the owner was really wary of me - until I spoke up about the pneumonia he had overcome a few months back. Then he realized I was one of his 'regulars' and calmed down quite a bit. I imagine the scenario of a biker coming in with full face helmet on to obscure my identity ran through his mind.

And rightly so - when you think about it. These places - beverage stores, convenience type stores, etc. - are the ones that typically get 'hit' for a quick armed robbery.

But your situation, sanoke, sounds completely different. He could see your face. Obviously he was worried about a little shoplifting going on. Given the sad times in which we live - I'd cut him a break. He's just trying to earn a living and inventory shrinkage (losses due to shoplifting) are the fastest way for a store's profits to get cut. Was he sterotyping you? Obviously. But maybe next time you can talk to him a little on small talk - establish a friendly relationship - and you two might even win each other's friendship for life. You might even help the 'biker rep' cause quite a bit by converting him..... :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aeromark99 said:
But your situation, sanoke, sounds completely different. He could see your face. Obviously he was worried about a little shoplifting going on. Given the sad times in which we live - I'd cut him a break. He's just trying to earn a living and inventory shrinkage (losses due to shoplifting) are the fastest way for a store's profits to get cut. Was he sterotyping you? Obviously. But maybe next time you can talk to him a little on small talk - establish a friendly relationship - and you two might even win each other's friendship for life. You might even help the 'biker rep' cause quite a bit by converting him..... :)
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of the shoplifting perspective. I just figured I was making the socially conscious clientele nervous.

·
Registered
658 Posts
sanoke said:
I just figured I was making the socially conscious clientele nervous.
Maybe. But I'll give HD credit where credit is due. Their success in brand marketing has made the biker 'image' acceptable - if not downright trendy. I'd have to guess he's seen a LOT of Drs., lawyers, and other professional-types in that upscale subdivision dress up and play biker on the weekends. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think it's important to remember that if you step outside yourself and look in-- some of us are not "conventional" in any manner of the word.

My husband until recently had let his hair grow out below his shoulders, lots of facial (foo-man-choo) hair and he was weighing in at 277, 6 foot tall (pretty big). We had people following us around the grocery stores, retail stores and anywhere else we went.

My husband is a hair dresser, who cries everytime he watches Armagedden. However, as we all know, looks are very deceiving.

I agree-- I would make it my new goal to make friends with this guy to show him that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sanoke said:
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of the shoplifting perspective. I just figured I was making the socially conscious clientele nervous.
That was my thought.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I get it all the time...

My mother was in town visting and wanted to go to Walmart... she went off to do her thing and I wandered into electronics. i was there about 4 minutes when I noticed this cute young thing always just at the edge of the aisle I happened to be in. She wandered past me about a dozen times, always stopping to rearrange items on the shelves around me (ever been to Walmart? Noone organizes that place.)

After several more minutes of this, I looked directly at her and said "You seem really interested in me, is there something you'd like to ask?"

She turned about 8 shades of red, and stammered something along the lines of "Umm no, I'm not following you on purpose", and quickly walked away.

I got the same thing in Radio Shack, I went in to get a three postion switch... I got asked what I was looking for, he took it off the shelf and, carrying it, ushered me to the counter, and rang it in. I pulled out my cash, counted it out, looked at him and said... "actually, you treated me like a thief, I'm gonna go buy this at The Source, thanks."

I'm used to it, I got followed when I was young and Mohawk'd, I got followed when my head was shaved, I got followed when I was a starving university student, I get followed as an adult. So be it, funny thing is, I absolutely hate thieves. Always have.

I get a kick out of it now, simply because I call them on it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
rat said:
After several more minutes of this, I looked directly at her and said "You seem really interested in me, is there something you'd like to ask?"

She turned about 8 shades of red, and stammered.......
She wanted you. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like some of the Oklahoma hospitality we got last summer.
No one else on the ride knew about Boiling Springs State Park, so I lead the group of about 15 bikes from Alabaster Caverns to Boiling Springs. The parking lot was empty when we stopped. When we came back up the trail from the springs, there were two patrol cars there with our bikes. They admired our bikes; ask us questions about where we were from, and where we were staying in Woodward. It’s nice to know that the cops had a genuine interest in our enjoyment of the area.

·
Registered
327 Posts
rat said:
I got the same thing in Radio Shack, I went in to get a three postion switch... I got asked what I was looking for, he took it off the shelf and, carrying it, ushered me to the counter, and rang it in. I pulled out my cash, counted it out, looked at him and said... "actually, you treated me like a thief, I'm gonna go buy this at The Source, thanks."
Actually, that sounds like standard at RS. I go in there dressed for work and get the same thing. I think thier belief is that thier customers are too stupid to know what they need. They always ask me questions as if I don't know what I'm buying and they don't understand the answers I give them since they don't really know much themselves.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aeromark99 said:
sanoke said:
I just figured I was making the socially conscious clientele nervous.
Maybe. But I'll give HD credit where credit is due. Their success in brand marketing has made the biker 'image' acceptable - if not downright trendy. I'd have to guess he's seen a LOT of Drs., lawyers, and other professional-types in that upscale subdivision dress up and play biker on the weekends. Just a guess though.
I hear what you are saying, it's just that this wasn't the first time I've ever gone into a store with my riding gear on. The grocery store near my home (I don't live in a wealthy section) has never treated me any different than anyone else. That's where I was coming from on this. By the way, my gear is too worn to qualify as proper Harley biker gear. I guess that would support the shoplifting idea. Oh well, he was very polite. :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So Sanoke, just how many steaks can you stuff under your leather jacket.... :D

It amazes me how people consistantly make the mistake of judging people by appearance. Can be a very bad mistake.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Buddy and I were visiting his family in N. Texas and were "ASKED" to come to a local church that his Grandfather preached at to speak about prison ministry.

We pull up to this church in well worn leathers and two deacons came out and proceeded to ask us how our morning was going. "Do ya'll need directions?" one man asked. Taken back by the question...I respond saying, "Yeah, which way to the church?"

Instead of talking about prison ministry we talked about how a sign out front doesn't make you a church, and leathers on your back don't make you a crook.

Was good times :wink:

--BB

·
Registered
259 Posts
Damn motorcycle hoodlums. Gotta watch 'em. :lol:

My boss doesn't like my riding gear. Told me not to wear it to work. I asked why, and he said I look like I'm gonna pull out a *machine* gun and open up on everyone.

The most dangerous weapon I carry is a Master Card. It's always getting me into trouble! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts