Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just bought a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with 8k. Very clean. 1 owner. When the bike is cold it shifts beautifully. But when the bike/engine is warm and running it's hard to get the tranny to engage in neutral and shifting becomes very notchy. But as soon as I turn off the bike, it shifts fine into neutral. I just changed oil with Honda GN4 10w30. No differences. Please help.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Check your clutch freeplay adjustment and make sure it is to spec.

Remember, you can do the fine tuning up at the clutch handle, but do the bulk of it down where the cable connects to the tranny, specially if your cable is really slacked out.

·
Banned
821 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch cable is ok. Could it be a warped clutch?

·
Banned
821 Posts
these service manuals have a troubleshooter towards the end....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Clutch cable is ok. Could it be a warped clutch?

Clutch cable may be ok but is the adjustment right? If you are not completely disengaging the clutch when you pull the lever in it will cause shifting to be hard.

How far can you pull the lever before you feel resistance?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have only heard about this with my Suzuki but will throw this out there, I know with some clutch baskets they can get notches worn into them from the metal disk plates playing back and for and it can cause clutch problems like this

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
OK, just bought a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with 8k. Very clean. 1 owner. When the bike is cold it shifts beautifully. But when the bike/engine is warm and running it's hard to get the tranny to engage in neutral and shifting becomes very notchy. But as soon as I turn off the bike, it shifts fine into neutral. I just changed oil with Honda GN4 10w30. No differences. Please help.
Did this bike sit for an extended time? I just read an article with some interesting info.....if a used bike sits long enough, the metal particulate in the oil that is squeezed between the clutch plates essentially goops up and the particles become imbedded in the clutch plates and gives them enough grip to drag the clutch when cold. Once everything heats up the problem goes away, only to come back on the next cold start.

Plus....what tc862011 said about the notches. You can file them out once.....just once.

Running like this can overheat and warp a plate or two.....it only takes .003" and that plate is useless. Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I would Keep It Simple, .. start with the clutch cable adjustment and go from there.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I would Keep It Simple, .. start with the clutch cable adjustment and go from there.
I agree I had only threw out what I knew about clutches, I have never had any real issues with clutchs

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did this bike sit for an extended time? I just read an article with some interesting info.....if a used bike sits long enough, the metal particulate in the oil that is squeezed between the clutch plates essentially goops up and the particles become imbedded in the clutch plates and gives them enough grip to drag the clutch when cold. Once everything heats up the problem goes away, only to come back on the next cold start.

Plus....what tc862011 said about the notches. You can file them out once.....just once.

Running like this can overheat and warp a plate or two.....it only takes .003" and that plate is useless. Something to consider.
Yes, I believe the bike did sit for a period of time. How long, I dont know.

Yeah, just checked the specs. Clutch cable is within spec.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How easy is it to change out the clutch? I was looking into a Barnett Clutch kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts