Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Friday I passed my permit test, woohoo! Anyway, come Sunday I decided to take a quick ride around my court and down the deadend street. I figured I would get the engine up to running temperature and then change the engine and final drive oil.

With my little brother by my side, I disconnect the battery maintainer, insert the key and start her up. No problems. I let her idle while talking to my brother, then i decide to back out of my garage. In the process of backing out, she dies. Started her up again, noticed a low idle so i open the throttle...dies.

this continued a couple times until i got frustrated enough to give up. "maybe it was too cold," i thought to myself.

anyway, im sitting at my desk at work when it just hits me out of nowhere: :shock::shock: I NEVER TURNED THE PETCOCK TO THE 'ON' POSITION!!!!! :shock::shock:

kind of hard to keep a bike running without gas, am i right? well, aside from feeling like an idiot, i was relieved.

so, i ask you all, what are some of your facepalm moments?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have done the same thing a couple of times.

The other ones that come to mind is forgetting to secure the tops of the saddlebags, and once forgetting to fasten the strap on my helmet.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Well, let's see, not putting the kickstand down and getting off the bike, not putting foot/feet down when coming to a full stop, stalling bike at a busy traffic light, as it turned green, and being so flustered that I couldn't get it re-started right away, and the list goes on and on and on...

If that's all that you do this year, consider yourself fortunate. Good luck and have a blast riding.

·
Registered
515 Posts
On my previous bike VT500C, I took off all the time without raising the kick stand. So embarrassing in the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: What are these..."facepalm" moments you speak of. I'm not at all familiar with...personal circumstances involving...stupid. But then...why would I? 8)8):cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Outside of crapping my pants after stopping a mini-van with my body ('course, I was unconscious when it happened, or so I was told...), the only other time was getting on the bike with the temp at 30°F for a quick cruise 'round the block and forgetting my eye wear...

Frozen tears really hurt the skin...

·
Registered
587 Posts
We all do dumb stuff from time-to-time. How about forgetting to take the cable lock off before riding away? Been there, done that... :oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
758 Posts
My blinker. ****, if I will EVER remember to reliably and regularly turn it off after turns. It is my biggest geek factor issue.

Second, leaving the key either on, or at least in the ignition... I lose track futzing will helmet and eyewear and all. JUST today a co-worker brought my keys in and said I had left them sitting on the seat. Major facepalm.

·
Banned
956 Posts
Woke up one morning, and felt something odd on my finger. Looked down, saw a wedding ring...... facepalm.

Pulled up to the store one day and stopped the bike. Sat on it for a bit talking to the service manager. Went to get off and layed it over on the kickstand, that wasn't down. Caught it before I dropped it, but looked like an idiot..... facepalm.

Got back in to town late one nite from a trip and went to my parents to pick up the runts. Tossed all their gear in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover and drove home. Got out of the truck and went to unload the stuff only to realize I left the tailgate down, you can't see it because of the cover. Well, the kids stuff wasn't there, when I pulled out of my parents place, it stayed behind..... facepalm.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
My blinker. ****, if I will EVER remember to reliably and regularly turn it off after turns. It is my biggest geek factor issue.

Second, leaving the key either on, or at least in the ignition... I lose track futzing will helmet and eyewear and all. JUST today a co-worker brought my keys in and said I had left them sitting on the seat. Major facepalm.
Keep your thumb on it during your turns; it reminds you to kill it....;)

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Woke up one morning, and felt something odd on my finger. Looked down, saw a wedding ring...... facepalm.

Pulled up to the store one day and stopped the bike. Sat on it for a bit talking to the service manager. Went to get off and layed it over on the kickstand, that wasn't down. Caught it before I dropped it, but looked like an idiot..... facepalm.

Got back in to town late one nite from a trip and went to my parents to pick up the runts. Tossed all their gear in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover and drove home. Got out of the truck and went to unload the stuff only to realize I left the tailgate down, you can't see it because of the cover. Well, the kids stuff wasn't there, when I pulled out of my parents place, it stayed behind..... facepalm.
Man, that's happened to me TWICE now, which is why I layed off the Jack Daniels...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Oh did that with a girl on the back. DOH! Thank god for highway bars! Still got some action that night though........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts