Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received delivery of my new, leftover 2006 Shadow last week. It is a beauty. I opened the stock tool kit pouch and inside was to be found (1) 10 mm boxend wrench and nothing else. Does that sound right? If that's the only specific tool required for maintenance, that's great, but...

·
Registered
303 Posts
This question comes up alot.
And lots of laughs.
What? You got a wrench? All I got was a screwdriver.
Buy some tools. They are cheap these days.
Do a search on this site on what to carry with you.
Not much.
It is a Honda.
Congrats on new bike.
You did not mention which model?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So getting only one wrench in the tool kit is not that unusual? My model is the 2006 Shadow Spirit 1100. I only got to ride it for five miles after it was delivered to my house because it was 22 degrees outside that day and now we have 6 inches of fresh snow. Can't wait for Spring!

My CB900 had a Honda tool kit that included various size wrenches, screwdrivers, tire pressure gauge and feeler gauge. I never had to actually use them because I have my own set, but mostly because it was a Honda and never needed much work.

Hopefully, the Shadow will be just as reliable.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
tantasquit said:
So getting only one wrench in the tool kit is not that unusual? My model is the 2006 Shadow Spirit 1100.
Ditto here. I took delivery in January of 2006 and the toolkit has only that one wrench.

You have a golden opportunity ... this is your perfect excuse to go to the Sears tool department. Is there a more perfect place to spend time? :)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Here are the tools you are supposed to have on your bike. (This list is from an 05...but I don't see why Honda would go cheap on a $50(??? This is how much they want to replace the tool kit) tool set.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0359/tools/tools.cfm?man=ho&groupid=12850&parent=12650

There are only two tools that you really need from the tool kit though...the spark plug wrench and the spanner wrench for adjusting the shocks. You can use a strap wrench for adjusting the shocks, but the stock tool works pretty good when you use the handle extension...unless you have bags on your bike. Then it is pretty much useless.

Someone on here has found a replacement for the spark plug socket. I believe they used a regular socket and put the rubber spark plug tip holder in it. I don't remember what size you need though.

As for what tools you really need on the road...well, in the 56,400 miles I put on my 02 Spirit 1100, the only thing I have needed was a 10mm wrench to get the left side cover off when I killed the battery so I could get the bike jumped. I have also used the 10mm and the 5.5mm (I think that is right) to remove the seat when I bought my lambskin cover at the Honda Hoot (a few years ago).

If you are a boy scout and want to be always prepared (guilty of this too) and if you have saddlebags, go buy yourself a small tool kit that has the basic wrenches, screwdriver with straight and phillips, adjustable wrench, and pliers to carry with you on the bike. Then you can take care of the little things that come up while on the road. If you have the room, you can get a larger set, but the only reason you would need them is when you ride with your (other brand) riding buddies. :twisted: :twisted:

Just make sure your cell phone is charged when you leave the house on the bike.

Joe

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the useful information. The fiche with the toolkit is great information, but it sure did change with the 2006 model. The new pouch is much smaller, only big enough to hold the one wrench.

I always carry a set of tools with me, including tire repair kit, duct tape and wire, but I still don't own a cell phone. Looks like the time has come to finally break down and buy one. I plan to also carry a pre-paid phone card because some areas that may not have cell coverage might have a payphone available.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
tantasquit said:
Thanks for all the useful information. The fiche with the toolkit is great information, but it sure did change with the 2006 model. The new pouch is much smaller, only big enough to hold the one wrench.

I always carry a set of tools with me, including tire repair kit, duct tape and wire, but I still don't own a cell phone. Looks like the time has come to finally break down and buy one. I plan to also carry a pre-paid phone card because some areas that may not have cell coverage might have a payphone available.

Thanks again for the input.
You may want to look into the prepaid cell phones. That way, you aren't hooked into a contract with someone. Just make sure it is from one of the major players in the cell marketplace. Oh yeah...and stay away from Sprint...their coverage areas SUCK when you get away from the major highways.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorry Honda went cheap in 2006, 2005 was the last year of a real tool kit.

Spirit_1100 said:
Here are the tools you are supposed to have on your bike. (This list is from an 05...but I don't see why Honda would go cheap on a $50(??? This is how much they want to replace the tool kit) tool set.

Joe

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it.

The wrench I received in my stock "kit" is a fine wrench, although I probably already have a dozen of that size. The spanner for adjusting the shocks would have been a little more practical, since it is not so common.

I'll pick one up somewhere, or maybe use a strap wrench. Thanks again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I found a cheap, deep-well metric socket set at Target (I believe it was $6.) The ratchet has about a 6" long handle, and the entire set is in a hard plastic case that measures around 5" by 8" by 1.5". I also have the full factory toolset like the one shown above for the 05 spirit, and a small digital tire pressure gage. I always carry my cell phone with me, but don't always have reception or even a charged battery. I want to wire a cigarette plug on my bike so I can at least plug the phone in if I forgot to charge it and need it for an emergency. I may even buy a spare car charger and hardwire it. I've seen the cartridge type tire inflators, don't know if they work well or if there's a better option. I carry wire and a small pair of needle-nose pliars fo emergency fixes most of the time, but don't remember where I put them last time I emptied the saddlebags.

P.S. I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw that they have CHROME wire clothes hangars... for a temp fix with shine!! lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.