Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a really nice looking 94 vlx 600 for sale in my area for $2,500. It's supposedly in excellent condition and runs like new. Do you think that's a fair price? Is the vlx 600 a nice reliable bike, and can It go full speed on the freeway? I really like the look of the bike. I'm about 500 short on the price tag but I might be able to come up with it if it's a fair price. 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't pay 25 for that bike. I lean much more toward stock than bobber though.
If it were me, I'm in at 15, and would stretch to 17 if I REALLY liked it upon inspection.

I ride a VLX and love it. I wish it had a fifth gear, but I'm not going cross-country either....It'll do what I require.

·
Registered
164 Posts
dont rush to buy anything thats technically out of your price range. what happens if the seller is actually a scum bag and rigged something that breaks shortly after you buy it. now you have a big lawn ornament with no funds to fix it. prices on bikes have come up alot more for the riding season than i usually notice but be patient and keep looking. its also someone else's project never buy a project finished or not without extra funds. that being said 2 nov ago i bought an 01 shadow spirit 750 for 1800 with only 8600 on it. i did buy it cheaper than similar in my area as it needed the carburetors gone through. but the bike was solid aside from me having it sit longer due to an injury and my learning experiences.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not worth 2500, I would buy something stock and modify it your self . I’m guessing the custom exhaust did come with a jet kit . Also 2500 for a 94 600 4 speed is just out of date .

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
What everybody else said about someone else's project bike.
And that seems like WAY too much money.
Two years ago I bought a 2003 Deluxe for $1500. from a Honda dealership. It had 9000 miles on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been watching the Shadow market locally (Chicago) for the past few years, and it seems like the VLX's have kinda dried up. There were way more of them showing up on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace three years ago than there are now, and now they are offered at much higher prices. There's only three on the local used market currently, that I've seen and one guy wants $4500, and the other two are asking $3K.

This model was extremely popular as a bobber donor, because they were cheap and plentiful and had the soft tail rear end. Finding an unmolested stock one for the cheap prices they were going for a decade ago is pretty rare nowadays, in my opinion.

The problem with some bobber projects is that they are popular with youngsters with not much experience. They will cut out the baffles, install a cone air filter, and not ask for any advice until they experience problems. Not saying this is true of every builder, but definitely some bikes are on their way to being future scrap metal. Have you ever gone on U-Tube to watch a VLX video, and the rider is revving the engine mercilessly and riding like a hooligan, then makes the comment, "This bike is pretty Badass, but It needs to be BACKFIRING more!"

This mindset is why I'd be VERY leery of any "custom" bikes.

VLX600s have around 38 hp and will top out at around 95 mph. They can get quite good gas mileage.

I think a Shadow 750 might be a better bike to look at, just based on your few comments. Good deals can also be had on Shadow 1100s. In my personal opinion, a good example of either of these can be found for less money than a good VLX. If you are a budget shopper, in my personal opinion, the best motorcycle values right now, in my area are:
Honda Magna 45s
Honda Gold Wing from 80s
Yamaha Virago 750

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a 2006 VTX1800 Spec3 with 24,000 miles at a local dealer, Karl Malone powersports. $5,999 but they denied financing me for that even though Harley approved me for a 2020 lowrider s. I think they might use experian which mine is still frozen, because I monitor my credit and it never got checked. Anyways, yeah I really wanted that vtx but no dice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a 2005 VTX 1300, being offered up locally, with 24,500 on the clock, for an asking price of $3800.

I see 20 Honda VTX's on our local craigslist right now, with ask prices between $3400 and $6K.

And at this moment, on the same Craigslist, only 2 VLX's at $4K and $4500.

Supply and demand.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
my buddy way over paid for his 600 its an 01, 3,500 friggin dollars. all though it is a custom bobber not much is really custom. all he has is a front fender delete a super super tiny rear fender, mini apes off ebay and thats it with 47k on the ODO i bought mine for $1,200 89 shadow with 13k on the odo peanut tank hardtail conversion. even tho his does look better he was pissed i got mine so cheap with less miles and more mods lolollololololo

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Here's a 2005 VTX 1300, being offered up locally, with 24,500 on the clock, for an asking price of $3800.

I see 20 Honda VTX's on our local craigslist right now, with ask prices between $3400 and $6K.

And at this moment, on the same Craigslist, only 2 VLX's at $4K and $4500.

Supply and demand.
like friggin toilet paper :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts