Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just watching the highlights of this year's Isle of Man TT reaces.

John McGuiness has just beaten his 2007 lap record and pulled a frankly astonishing lap average of 130.44mph! And this is effectively a road race over what must be the scariest circuit ever. He has just won the race as well.

The course is said to be 37.73 miles and is raced over 6 laps with a pit stop after each lap for tyres and fuel.

So this guy has just ridden 220+ miles at an average speed of over 125mph, on a bike with 200+ horsepower.

Here's a lap on board with Guy Martin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI&feature=related

Collector

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Phew that was surreal. I feel as though I've just had a flash back. :shock: I could percieve the bike leaning into those turns before I could make out the turns in the distance. I would be sooooo dead. I love to watch motorcycle races though.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
wow..courage to ride like that and to be a spectator so close to the road

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There are probably less than 1000 men and women world wide that have the skills to ride a liter sport bike up to its capabilities. From the video, it seems that Mr. Martin is one of those chosen few.

We have never been on a liter bike and do not know anyone who owns one. We would dearly love to ride one. Just once.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That is SO much more entertaining than those stupid "ghostrider" stunts.

Too bad the squids don't watch more of this and less of that -- maybe they'd figure out the place for that is on a track or at a sanctioned race -- not rush hour.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats intense, I barley like breaking 70 let alone 190 lol.

Although that guy has probably run that course thousands of times.. he mentions at one point "It takes about 4 weeks of practice to get that turn right" THAT TURN!! there were like a gajillion turns hah. thats some serious skill though.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We trudge on said:
There are probably less than 1000 men and women world wide that have the skills to ride a liter sport bike up to its capabilities. From the video, it seems that Mr. Martin is one of those chosen few.

We have never been on a liter bike and do not know anyone who owns one. We would dearly love to ride one. Just once.

We trudge on.
I rode my neighbour's Honda Firestorm 1000cc Vee Twin with full fairing, double bubble race screen and race cans. Within 20 minutes I was watching the speedo needle rush past 125mph. And it was only putting out about 100 brake at the rear wheel. It would wheelie in 3rd and 4th. For me, at least, it was a license loser at best, or a life loser at worst. I rode it just the once. :lol:

On another note, I often wonder what some of these guys would make of your 'Tail of the Dragon'. I reckon they would smoke it!

Collector

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,196 Posts
Collector said:
On another note, I often wonder what some of these guys would make of your 'Tail of the Dragon'. I reckon they would smoke it!
Not a chance -- they'd be blocked and blocked and blocked. The only thing they'd smoke would be their brakes.

And when they finished the ride, they'd be laughing their a__es off at the way we (1) let incompetent riders on such a fine road and then (2) charge them $40 for the T-shirt that proclaims they didn't die on the ride.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
White Knight said:
i wonder if they have tracks days??? lol that is something thati am looking forward to big time when i get home is to tack a track day with the new steed.
They have what they call "Mad Sunday" on the Isle of Man at TT week, when anyone with a motorcycle can ride the course. Speed limits do not apply.

I figure you would need to be pretty confident before you gave it your best shot, though.

We used to have an IOM member on the forum, called gasgas, aka Andrew. He had a VT1100. He sold the bike and I lost touch with him.

Collector

·
Registered
907 Posts
Collector said:
White Knight said:
i wonder if they have tracks days??? lol that is something thati am looking forward to big time when i get home is to tack a track day with the new steed.
They have what they call "Mad Sunday" on the Isle of Man at TT week, when anyone with a motorcycle can ride the course. Speed limits do not apply.

I figure you would need to be pretty confident before you gave it your best shot, though.

We used to have an IOM member on the forum, called gasgas, aka Andrew. He had a VT1100. He sold the bike and I lost touch with him.

Collector
I remember gasgas.
I would run it a few times slow. Not much run out at the sides of the road like at a track. Is there?
I have a chance to do a track day after Lee Parks' parking lot course at NHIS but chickened out. Maybe next year. I think I'll get a lighter/ slower bike to try that.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rat said:
Deadliest road race on the planet, I believe.

Every year someone bites it.
Yeah, that and the Northwest 200 in Ireland.

Collector

1 - 20 of 23 Posts