Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put some fatter tires on my bike. How much wider can I go than the stock sizes?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Being that the sidewalls on m/c tires are stiff, 'sometimes' a wider tire gets 'taller,' vertically after you install it on the rim. Depends on the psi factor. This reduces the clearance between the front fender and the front tire. Just something to keep an eye on. It's not a huge worry unless something odd on the road gets lodged between the thinner space.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You looking to keep stock rims or are you interested in wider rims too? I went with a 17"x3" front rim from an Ace (direct bolt-on) which let me put a 140/80/17 on the front. With this size tire the revs per mile are pretty close to the stock tire so my speedo is okay. On the rear all you can do is a 170/80/15 unless you go with a VTX rim, then you can run a 200 out back.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
I cannot remember for sure what size I put on the front of my wifes bike, but I think it was a 120, cannot rememeber the rest, but it was the next size up, and it was not room for anything extra, but it did not rub. The back I know for sure was a 170/80/15 and it looked perfect ad fit easily on the stock rim. I sold the bike so I cannot go check forya.
Coop

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Your bike looks great mail man! Where did you get the side mount tag? Is that the only tail light or do you have a cateye as well?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks. I've got my turn signals wired as run/turn lights, but the side mount is my only brake light, no cat eye. And the side mount came from Road 6 Customs on ebay. Deffinitely a very solid piece.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2005 Aero 750. I went from 120/90-17 to 140/80-17 up front and from 160/80-15 to 170/80-15. I didn't have any issues, but I know our fenders are different. Stock rims.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts