Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you’re looking for just a small amount of extra leg room, well these homemade forward controls just might be what you’re after…

Now I left the brake pedal in its original position as it made this a really simple build. I did this because I have limited movement in my right ankle as I’ve had an ankle joint replacement and I use my heal to brake with, but having said that, I’ve had a few mates take a my bike for a ride after installing the new forward controls and they said that they didn’t have any problems braking using the front pad of their foot.

The pedals were moved approx. 3” forward, and 1-1/2” outward which made a huge difference. I’m 6’ tall and the 3” move forward mightn’t seem a lot but coupled with the 1-1/2” outward extension it made it so much more relaxed riding position and I’m extremely happy with the outcome as it still looks like it came from the factory like it. Plus it didn’t cost me anything as I had made it from pieces of steel I had in the garage. But if you had to buy all the material, it would probably cost about approx $20 - $30 at a guess…

Materials Used.
10mm plate.
4 pieces of 20mm dia x 25mm long round metal rod drilled and tapped to suit 12mm fine thread bolts.
3 x 12mm fine thread bolts (grade 6 or 8).
1 x 180mm (grade 6 or 8) bolt, nut and washers.
12mm Hexagonal rod (approx. 55mm long) drilled and tapped to suit 6mm rod.
6mm threaded rod (approx. 25mm long).
1 x 6mm nut to fit the 6mm threaded rod.

Instead of trying to explain how I made them, I decided a picture is worth a thousand words…

RH side (brake pedal)

1. Where the rear bolt originally held the bracket is now bolted to the original front bolt

2. You can see how much the bracket is moved forward in this photo.

3. This shows the 35mm outward extension.

LH Side (gear shift)

4. LH side mounting plate shown fitted to bike.

5. View from top with bracket fitted.

6. Top view showing the 35mm outward extension and the hexagonal spacer for the extension of the gear shift rod.

7. View from front.

Photos of Bike with them fitted.

8. RH side view from rear.

9. Side view, looking like it came from the factory this way.

10. Rear view showing the pegs extended out 35mm each side.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've seriously been considering doing similar to my bikes, and having something like this as a confirmation will help a lot :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this. I've seriously been considering doing similar to my bikes, and having something like this as a confirmation will help a lot :)
Hey Kiwi, your welcome, love to see what you come up with... :smile2:

Thought that this idea might have generated a little more interest as so many taller and even shorter riders complain about being little cramped on their Shadows. Especially since this is an easy & cheap alternative to make compared to the aftermarket ones, but go figure, hey...

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I think the "hard part" of extending forward controls is the brake and shift rods/arms. Moving the pegs can be done with a metal plate that gets bolted to the frame, while the controls get bolted to that metal plate. Extending the stock shift rod and brake arm is the tough part, as they're supposed to move and could possibly "bend" at the joint you'd have to add to extend them, unless you shroud the stock arms to make that joint more rigid and stiff. The Lightning kit uses an aluminum socket to go over the brake rod end, which them gets bolted to the brake pedal, and for the shift side is just a longer rod with clevis joints at the ends. I think it's possible to replace both rods with just longer ones with clevis joints on the ends, but most don't do that, since the brake switch is connected to that rod, so you'd have to find another way to attach it.

Your controls look really sharp, and appear to be well made. Good job!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the "hard part" of extending forward controls is the brake and shift rods/arms. Moving the pegs can be done with a metal plate that gets bolted to the frame, while the controls get bolted to that metal plate. Extending the stock shift rod and brake arm is the tough part, as they're supposed to move and could possibly "bend" at the joint you'd have to add to extend them, unless you shroud the stock arms to make that joint more rigid and stiff. The Lightning kit uses an aluminum socket to go over the brake rod end, which them gets bolted to the brake pedal, and for the shift side is just a longer rod with clevis joints at the ends. I think it's possible to replace both rods with just longer ones with clevis joints on the ends, but most don't do that, since the brake switch is connected to that rod, so you'd have to find another way to attach it.

Your controls look really sharp, and appear to be well made. Good job!

Thanks Jammer, but extending the shift rod was easy as shown in the photo below (outlined in Red). All I did was use a hexagonal rod, drilled & tapped both end to suit the shift rod, and some threaded rod to one end, to connect the shifter, and the other end the original shifter rod screwed right in. The shifter rod is straight so there won't be any flexing in it.
As for the brake pedal, as I said in my write up, I left it in the original position.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Great fab work soxOZ.

I am 6' but have shorter legs so the stock stuff fits me OK. I did install a set of crash bar foot rest though which help me stretch out when needed...

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Lookin` GREAT!
Feeling even BETTER!!!

A Team quote "I love it when a plan comes together"

As I`ve got mine on the table, "tinkering during the rains, I see that I`ll hafta fabricate a bracket to allow the mounting of my new horn...
Just getting started, I don`t see a spot to mount it (without a bracket) just yet...
Nope, No pics,
D

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's nice to see a professional looking solution on the forum, so kudos for knocking out a finely crafted upgrade! Looking at the photos, it looks stock as far as I'm concerned. Nice attention to detail.

I've been looking at doing something like this myself, but don't have the means or time to figure it out on my own. I've found some universal kits that get me pretty close but they're far more expensive than I'm willing to spend to solve the problem. So for the time being, I've adjusted my sitting position a bit and it helps.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great fab work soxOZ.
I am 6' but have shorter legs so the stock stuff fits me OK. I did install a set of crash bar foot rest though which help me stretch out when needed...
Thanks, and glad the stock location is working out for you...

Lookin` GREAT!
Feeling even BETTER!!!
A Team quote "I love it when a plan comes together"
D
Thanks...

It's nice to see a professional looking solution on the forum, so kudos for knocking out a finely crafted upgrade! Looking at the photos, it looks stock as far as I'm concerned. Nice attention to detail.

I've been looking at doing something like this myself, but don't have the means or time to figure it out on my own. I've found some universal kits that get me pretty close but they're far more expensive than I'm willing to spend to solve the problem. So for the time being, I've adjusted my sitting position a bit and it helps.
Hey thanks Vlad, but if you really wanted to make these you could do it without the welding by just drilling through 25mm dia spacers and the 10mm plates and just use Bolts (grade 6 or 8 ) and nuts to hold all of it together instead of welding, drilling and taping the 25mm spacers onto the 10mm extension plate.

really a professional job!!
Thank you...!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey thanks Vlad, but if you really wanted to make these you could do it without the welding by just drilling through 25mm dia spacers and the 10mm plates and just use Bolts (grade 6 or 8 ) and nuts to hold all of it together instead of welding, drilling and taping the 25mm spacers onto the 10mm extension plate.
Thanks, you've just rekindled the tinkerer spirit in me, for better or worse :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
vlado
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing