Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The frames are too different, cost and time to mod cancel the usefulness. It's a new bike, why screw it up?

Dingo.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Also, if you were to spend the time and effort to mod it to fit, it would probably hold less gas then the Phantom tank. You have a Honda, not a Harley. buy a Harley if want that look.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
WhY not? Let me count the reasons :

It's expensive
It'll screw up the look of your cruiser
It'll require a lot of fabrication .
It probably won't hold as much fuel.
It's a waste of time.
It'll take time away from riding while you're screwing around trying to get it to work.
It'll lower the resale value.
If you live in California you're messing with the emission co retro system.
Is that enough reasons why not?

Now, why don't you answer the question. Why?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the style and design of HD.

Them are good points TenDollarBill ,but it's MY bike and I'm customizing it to MY likings and style, not yours. Is that a good enough reason? I don't plan on selling it and don't live in CA so I don't have those problems.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
I Agree with TenDollarBill , But If you got to have it. GO FOR IT :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Any reason you want to use to mod your bike is just fine with me. It's your bike and I don't really care what you do to it even though I wouldn't do it to mine. The problem is you asked for advice from the Forum on doing sometime and a member asked why and got a flippant answer, "Why not?" I was just answering your second question. I thought you wanted an answer to it and wanted to know why not. Apparently not so.
Good luck with the mod. Post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's your bike and if you like the look of the Sportster tanks there's nothing wrong with that. Of course it can be done. You'll need to have the equipment to do it though. The Sportster tank is gonna expose a lot of the things that the original tank is covering. They have a comparably shallow tunnel. You'll have to check whatever tank you decide on to make sure that tunnel has enough width to clear the coils and backbone of your bike, or relocate those components. You'll need to retrofit the vacuum operated petcock your bike has. Is your bike fuel injected? If so, that's a big can of worms. You'll either need to make a hole in the tank to match the panel your pump is mounted to or you could use an exterior pump but these pumps use a plumbing network with a pressure orifice which bleeds back to the tank TEE'd to the injector rail. Lots of engineering and work but all quite doable if it's within your means.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I asked "Why" more because the Bike is a 2013 with a new gas tank already.

if it was a 1989, i would not have asked why.

He could have come back with "the OEM Tank got dented", then I would say oh ok, just curious.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It'll destroy the resale on the bike and probably take you off the road for a long time IF you can work it. If not you will be off the road for a long time and then end up going back to stock. It's really not a good idea economically. If you want that kind of look sell the phantom and buy a blacked out sporty. If you want the reliability buy a blacked out victory or Indian.

Dingo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot about this post. I got the tank on and working great. I get ~120 miles out of it. No petcock or fuel light. I have a back up fuel bottle. The tank was easy to get on and working. I have about $100 in the whole switch. Tank was $85, fuel line was $2, and bungs and fuel fittings were about $10.

I liked the stock tank but my personal taste on bikes changed and started getting into the older bobber frisco style. So that's pretty much why I changed tanks.

I found a tank with a 2" tunnel for the 2" back bone, shaved the wire loom nipples off and it popped right on. Set it where the tabs went thru the frame and drilled the holes. Got longer fuel line and I was on the road. Took me about a day or two to do, but couldn't ride t cause of the snow at the time. Anyways pics of the bike now with the tank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks good! I really like it actually. Would not work with the stock bars like on my bike but that's just another thing I'd like to change soon.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Year? Try 4 months...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good! I really like it actually. Would not work with the stock bars like on my bike but that's just another thing I'd like to change soon.
Depends what stock bars you have, I cut my stock bars 3" shorter on each side. Rubbed the tank on my throttle assembly tho. Change is good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts