Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
"Though nutrition fact boxes can sometimes be complicated, this is one case where just a basic knowledge of healthy eating would have revealed the product to be not so "nutritious and healthy." So how about taking some responsibility for feeding your family right and making smart food choices, rather than just listening to the message marketers want you to buy?" (QUOTE)

So why require the consumer to need to investigate, be completely knowledgeable about everything the manufacturer includes in their product? I realize this will be met with some degree of eye rolling but to me its simple. What is wrong with expecting manufacturers to at least show a reasonable amount of honesty in their advertizing and in their product.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
"Though nutrition fact boxes can sometimes be complicated, this is one case where just a basic knowledge of healthy eating would have revealed the product to be not so "nutritious and healthy." So how about taking some responsibility for feeding your family right and making smart food choices, rather than just listening to the message marketers want you to buy?" (QUOTE)

So why require the consumer to need to investigate, be completely knowledgeable about everything the manufacturer includes in their product? I realize this will be met with some degree of eye rolling but to me its simple. What is wrong with expecting manufacturers to at least show a reasonable amount of honesty in their advertizing and in their product.
Why? Because the government has no right or duty to protect us from our own bad decisions.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Why? Because the government has no right or duty to protect us from our own bad decisions.
no, because we have a right to believe that what we as consumers feed our families or use for our needs won't kill us or poison us because big corporations lie on their labels and in their advertisements in order to get those profits. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about what government is or isn't involved in. I can't and don't want to be a watchdog over all the corporations that are involved with my family, their well being in their daily life. Before you start that conversation, let me ask you, how safe do you feel when you drive your car, or drink your water, or take your medicine or give your baby his formula ,etc.,etc.,etc.That argument of government involvement always come into play when in actuality, if politics can be put aside, in many ways, your life is better because of the government involvement as is mine. It is exactly why I go to the voting booths and cast my vote. What is your reason for casting your vote

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I wouldn't want my commercials for food products to sound like the side effects noted in a drug commercial. Warning, Eating our Product may result in obesity due to the amounts of fat derived from recycled oil containers. It may also lead to an increase in blood glucose that may cause your feet to rot off if you develop diabetes. You may develop high blood pressure due to excess amounts of salt that we use to mask the flavour of the under ripened tomatoes we used to keep the costs down where you stupid people will actually buy it from Wal Marx. The beans we used may cause flatulence leading you to believe that dutch ovening your wife is a good idea.

Seriously, the first ingredient is sugar, the second is oil. You don't need a nutritionist to decipher that.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
no, because we have a right to believe that what we as consumers feed our families or use for our needs won't kill us or poison us because big corporations lie on their labels and in their advertisements in order to get those profits. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about what government is or isn't involved in. I can't and don't want to be a watchdog over all the corporations that are involved with my family, their well being in their daily life. Before you start that conversation, let me ask you, how safe do you feel when you drive your car, or drink your water, or take your medicine or give your baby his formula ,etc.,etc.,etc.That argument of government involvement always come into play when in actuality, if politics can be put aside, in many ways, your life is better because of the government involvement as is mine. It is exactly why I go to the voting booths and cast my vote. What is your reason for casting your vote
Then don't buy their products and make your own food at home from scratch. You know, raise your own livestock, grown your own fruits and veggies, etc. No one is FORCING you to buy a product...(except health care, which is a whole 'nother pissing match).

Have you ever noticed that as government and or government regulation becomes more involved in consumer products the prices in those consumer products rises? No? Must just be a coincidence, then...

Personally, I want LESS government involvement in my life, not more. I DON'T need them to tell me what I should or should not eat. I have enough common sense to know what is or isn't good for me, and so should every consumer. And don't come back with "well, most people aren't smart enough to do that for themselves". If they aren't, then let them kill themselves with junk food and thin out the gene pool. Darwin and all that.

And, as TI has pointed out, the first two ingredients listed should be indicative of how healthy this product is for you...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
[
And, as TI has pointed out, the first two ingredients listed should be indicative of how healthy this product is for you...[/QUOTE]

No, everything on that label should state truthfully what is inside that package and nothing inside that package should be detrimental to you or your family.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
[
And, as TI has pointed out, the first two ingredients listed should be indicative of how healthy this product is for you...
No, everything on that label should state truthfully what is inside that package and nothing inside that package should be detrimental to you or your family.[/QUOTE]

That's the point: EVERYTHING can be detrimental to you when consumed outside of moderation.

What you propose, while noble, is preposterous and would make consumer goods prohibitively expensive.

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, everything on that label should state truthfully what is inside that package and nothing inside that package should be detrimental to you or your family.

Seriously? NOTHING? You just reduced the size of a supermarket by 7/8th's ( number picked out of my a$$) The entire dairy counter is gone, the pop/chip aisle. Most of the baking aisle, the meat aisle, the deli, the bakery...... You could keep some of the produce and that is about it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'd like to see truth in labeling. Whether or not a product is detrimental to me or my family, IMO as a responsible consumer that's my job to figure out. I just want to know what's in the product I'm contemplating purchasing. If I'm willing to just put into my body what everybody else says I should, I'm giving up some of my rights to sue if I get sick because I didn't take responsibility for my own well-being. If I like the taste of a product and don't care what's in it, I give up some of my rights to sue because I made the choice to not care. If I do everything inhumanly possible to know every ingredient of every food, make responsible choices and still get sick "due to an ingredient," then and only then might I have a right to contemplate suing.

Of course, that's probably why I'll die poor, 'cuz I don't go sue left and right over ridiculous "perceived wrongs."

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
Ok now here is a perfect example of truly YOUR body YOUR choice..

READ the labels

Decide to purchase it or not

LIVE with the consequences of your dietary and exercise habits and stop trying to blame others for YOUR poor choice.

The human body is an amazingly well designed machine that can with proper exercise not only survive but thrive even on junk food.. but there is far too much taking in the calories and far too little getting rid of them through work or exercise, the whole I got fat by eating at McDonalds BS was proven to be just that by another individual who followed the same diet but engaged in moderate exercise.

In a nutshell and especially among Americans you are not only what you eat, but what you do with the calories you take in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
In all reality, there is always good and bad aspects to everything we consume (Chocolate has magnesium, which is an essential nutrient). On top of that, everything can be dangerous if consumed dangerously (even consuming too much water can kill). So, it is up to us all to be aware of what we are consuming and conscientiously make the choice.

Once the choice is made, however, deal with the consequences of your actions and don't be a mamby-pamby finger pointer about it who is probably just acting out to try and get some frivolous law suit kickback.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Seriously? NOTHING? You just reduced the size of a supermarket by 7/8th's ( number picked out of my a$$) The entire dairy counter is gone, the pop/chip aisle. Most of the baking aisle, the meat aisle, the deli, the bakery...... You could keep some of the produce and that is about it.
What happened here; did you take a course in nutrition and I missed it?

Yeah, all that stuff is bad for you. Sugar, Salt, all the stuff that tastes good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Amen brother!
Common sense is gone. It died alone, and was buried in a paupers grave.
RIP common sense!
If it tastes real good, it might not be good for you. Labels are not that hard to read.
"A government powerful enough to give you everything, is powerful enough to take everything from you." Thomas Jefferson.

Phillip

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In all reality, there is always good and bad aspects to everything we consume (Chocolate has magnesium, which is an essential nutrient). On top of that, everything can be dangerous if consumed dangerously (even consuming too much water can kill). So, it is up to us all to be aware of what we are consuming and conscientiously make the choice.

Once the choice is made, however, deal with the consequences of your actions and don't be a mamby-pamby finger pointer about it who is probably just acting out to try and get some frivolous law suit kickback.

This is exactly the issue in advertizing too, you can't tell them they have to say the product is bad when it is fortified with vitamins and essential minerals. They can say it is part of a healthy breakfast. Is it on it's own a healthy breakfast? No, did they say it was? No. Did they lie? No. Did they mislead the children who want Lucky Charms now? Yes.

It is our job to teach our kids a healthy way to eat. How can we do that without taking a nutrition course? Think back to sitting at the kitchen table till you finished your green beans. Mom cooked healthy meals (for most of us anyway), did she take a nutritionist course? No, she just took what her Mom had taught her. You don't eat cookies before dinner (BTW, that warning is not on any cookie bag I have ever bought, should it be?), you eat some meat, some vegies and some potatoes. You don't deep fry all of it, and you go outside and play. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Yes, di-hydrogen oxide can be a killer! Dangerous chemical!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ex Parte "a reasonable amount of honesty in their advertizing "

That's a contradiction in terms.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Amen brother!
Common sense is gone. It died alone, and was buried in a paupers grave.
RIP common sense!
If it tastes real good, it might not be good for you. Labels are not that hard to read.
"A government powerful enough to give you everything, is powerful enough to take everything from you." Thomas Jefferson.

Phillip
I'm with Phillip, and a number of others on this one. We all eat and drink stuff that's potentially bad for us, but it's not that difficult to read labels and make informed choices.

What gets to me is how we've allowed ourselves in the Developed World to become victims (in our own minds) of so-called corporate greed, like we're unable to make our own minds up and be responsible for ourselves, families and communities.

"(Insert fast food chain or processed foods manufacturer name here) made me fat", is an expletive joke. We all have rights and choices, and if we made bad ones, it's our own fault.

I happen to like Nutella, but like good ol' peanut butter (30 years living overseas and I haven't lost the taste of foods from my misspent youth in SoCal), one just has to eat less of it and more healthy stuff, instead. Maybe that's why at 58 I'm not on medication, etc?

Caveat emptor ('Buyer beware') has been around for centuries and maybe we just need to remind ourselves of that fact.

Ride safe, all,
Peter
somewhere very southwest of Laramie

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm an american, if my government doesn't protect me from myself and my own bad choices I'll sue dammit!!.
It's Mc D fault, It's cokes fault it's my parents, my neighbors, it's middle schools fault,,It's somebody fault 'cause it ain't mine.

i need cookies now.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm voting for the free market and whatever candidate is going to reduce burdensome regulations that only prevent competition and innovation. The truth is that government is the reason we have all of these unhealthy products on the shelves. If they would stop subsidizing corn we would see a lot healthier choices on the shelves. Personally, I buy almost 100% fresh produce and meat and cook from scratch. Last grocery trip, the only thing I bought that wasn't a fruit, vegetable, or meat, was Tortilla Chips, Salsa, Tortillas, Flatbread, and Cranberry juice. You know how much I spend every week to feed myself and my wife healthy made from scratch meals? About 120 a week on average. Some weeks it's more, but usually it is right around 120 bucks a week. That's breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 2 bottles of wine a week and a 24 pack of beer every 2 weeks. You can eat healthy and not go broke doing. I eat for less than 15 dollars a day for my wife and I, not including beer and wine. We usually buy fresh strawberries and whip cream and add a little cinnamon for a tasty dessert. It can be done, it just takes a little planning and preparation, but a lot of people are simply too lazy to plan ahead. It takes about an hour every weekend to make my menu for the week, figure out what I've already got in the fridge/pantry, and make a grocery list for the whole week. Then I spend about an hour going to 2 or 3 different stores to get all the products I want, and I am back home. So 2 hours a week of planning/shopping and you can eat healthy too. Don't gimme this crap about Dollar Menus and such, like I said earlier, 15 dollars a day for 2 people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts