Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the breather cap on the final drive? Is it pressed on or screwed on?

· Registered
2,530 Posts
WMU_BRONCO said:
How do you remove the breather cap on the final drive? Is it pressed on or screwed on?
Hey Bronco,

I am assuming you want to either check the level or add level to your final drive unit?

As bullzeyet said...it doesn't remove easily. Most people that have removed them have damaged them beyond use.

To check the level, with the bike on the side stand, remove the upper plug (the larger diameter plug in the side of the case). The oil level should be equal to the opening. None should leak out though.

To add, through this same opening, fill until it is just below the opening while on the side stand.

To drain, remove the lower plug and allow the oil to drain. Then replace the lower plug and fill through the upper plug.

Hope this helps.

Joe

P.S. Here is the microfishe page for the final drive unit.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0...en_gear.cfm?man=ho&groupid=12740&parent=12650

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no intentions of using that as a fill hole. I was just interested to see the construction of the breather. I am aware of the upper plug to be removed for filling with lubricant and the lower plug to be removed for draining lubricant. But since you mentioned it, my MOM doesn’t say to check the level "with the bike on the side stand". My MOM says check while "holding the motorcycle on firm level ground". I guess that would mean the bike should be level…..not tipped on to the side stand. Tipped on the side stand instead of holding level could result in less fluid in the final drive. Could you re-check your MOM to see if it says to check with "bike level", or with it "on the side stand"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.