Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the rear tire on my 97 vt1100 spirit. I cleaned and put marine grease on the final drive sprocket. I now have a noise coming from the rear that can best be described as the sound of the wind blowing a chain against a flagpole. It only happens when there's no load on the final drive, and it only happens every once in awhile. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
78 Posts
Just did the rear shoes on my '97 Spirit last Saturday so was into the same items and also re-greased the final drive as you did. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps a loose brake rod or linkage that's vibrating at a certain RPM. I'd double check to make sure you didn't miss tightening-up one of the bolts under there. If it was a bad wheel bearing, would think it would make the sound constantly.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
235 Posts
Have you check the oil level and made sure it is in good condition?
Any unusual play on the drive?
For what you say it sounds like a worn sprocket, when there is no load the elements will turn freely. Any gap greater than it is supposed and you will have all sort of noises

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
402 Posts
It could be the grease...
I don't know anything about the marine grease you used, but Honda recommends Moly Paste.

"60% Molybdenum Disulfide"

I've read horror stories of ruined final drive splines from folks not using the correct Moly Paste.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gears and everything looked good. I double checked all the bolts. I had used the marine grease on my 84 vt700 without issues but am getting the moly 60...but can on find a small tube of it....2.7 oz.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've had new tires make a lot of noise, One Dunlop Elite III radial howled so bad I came home from my test ride and pulled the wheel again... Found nothing wrong, Dunlop tried to say my wheel bearings were bad, Yet it didn't make the noise with the old tire... They did nothing... Eventually took it off half worn out when I couldn't stand the noise any longer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honda moly 60 is old spec
It changed to moly 70 but thats discontinued!
The lateat spec is use Honda M77
Engine Assembly Paste
Its excellent, 20 to 24 dollars for small tube
Because no oil gets to it in the hub it stays in place, doing its job

Apply wth popsicle stick to fill the female grooves on both parts.
Careful not to over apply!!
Note there are 3 orings on the hub that should be replaced with every 2nd tire.
Those keep the Moly where it belongs

Use of low moly grease results in destruction of splines when the grease gets squeezed out.
The Moly sticks to the metals so next time the wheel slides right off for you

Note 2, same grease is for the driveshaft splines where it fits into transmission.
Fail to grease that occasionally nets an high damage repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts