Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I'm going to change the final drive oil on my VT1100 Shadow. The manual calls for 90w Hypoid Gear oil. My local Honda dealer sold me Honda HP Trans Oil SAE 80w/85w to use. Will this be ok to use? Thanks for the help?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Which Manual?

I think I used 80/85 when I changed mine.

Just be careful when you tighten that plug. Don't torque it, just snug it to compress the "O" ring or you'll be running to the dealer to buy a new one.

Your bike should be on the side stand when you fill or check it. The fluid level should come up level with the bottom of the fill plug hole with the bike on the side stand..

Don't worry if you see some oil weeping out of the chrome vent on top as you ride. It's normal when the oil expands. If it wasn't able to do that it would explode.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Standard 80W-90 will work just perfectly! It is essentially 90W oil when it heats up, but flows like 80 weight when cold to gets the gears lubed quicker. perfect for your bike!

And welcome to the nut-house!

--Justin

·
Registered
21 Posts
rear diff fluid

I just changed mine I am using a clymer manual It states to have the bike off the side stand and straight up and down to check and fill the rear diff. I did torque the fill plug and drain plug with a new gasket on the drain plug, no leaks I need to double check the manual. Also a foot note the clymers manual says to get NEW caliper mounting bolts to reinstall caliper I have never heard of this I just added a drop of locktite and torqued them.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I just changed mine I am using a clymer manual It states to have the bike off the side stand and straight up and down to check and fill the rear diff. I did torque the fill plug and drain plug with a new gasket on the drain plug, no leaks I need to double check the manual. Also a foot note the clymers manual says to get NEW caliper mounting bolts to reinstall caliper I have never heard of this I just added a drop of locktite and torqued them.
Not knowing your bike model/make this is quoted from a Honda manual.

Honda Manual Procedure.

FINAL DRIVE OIL

LEVEL CHECK

Place motorcycle on its side stand on a level surface.

Remove oil filler cap.
Check that the oil is up to the loweredge of the oil filler hole.

Pour recommended oil thru the oil filler hole until it reaches the lower edge of the hole.
4.4 ounces recommended for 1997 & up 1100 Spirit & 1998 & up Ace Tourer. 9 ft.lbs. of torque for the filler cap. (5.1 ounces if a complete teardown is done.)

Not doing it this way causes overfill and d**n mess. How do I know? I had a Clymers and done it as stated. :oops: Supposedly a overfill not corrected can cause damage. I assume if the air space in the hub assembly is lessened by excess fluid it will probably cause the oil to "froth" thus not lubricating properly. A situation that more isn't better. It was explained to us a couple years ago by "Litin" which is somewhat a respected mechanical "guru" on the forum.

·
Registered
200 Posts
im like 99% sure my manual says to do drain it on the side stand and fill it on the center stand. that is what i did and i had no excess leakeage from the relief after riding. of course this is for bikes that still have the center stand. the casing would be adjusted for bikes with only side stands to account for the additional oil necessary. remeber, too little is bad but too much will just leak out and provide the right amount. messy of course but its a fool-proof application

·
Registered
301 Posts

I checked with my Honda dealer. They say it is an error in the Clymer manual. I'll be picking up a genuine Honda service manual instead. (2006 Shadow Sabre)

·
Registered
589 Posts
The shop manual in the sticky and my original owners manual say to place bike on the Center stand. This is for a VT500C. Can any VT500C peeps chime in if they do side stand or center stand please.

Crash

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the High Performance Transmission oil is OK to use instead of Hypoid Gear oil? I'm kind of a mechanical moron and I'm always afraid of wrecking something by my lack of knowledge. Thanks for your help and friendly attitudes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
double checked fluid level

Thanks to h13man for his infor I down loaded the manuals and checked
them. I had the rear tire off and the bike (06 1100 spirit) on the motocycle jack put a level on the swing arm got level and filled the rear diff that was last week today I set the bike on the side stand and pulled the fill plug and let the extra fluid drain out about tablespoon and half
and then went for a ride 85 deg in denver today.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Yes old post, but still a valid question, and yes that is good oil to use for the differential.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts