Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won"t to change final drive oil from dino to syntheic. What is a good brand and viscosity to use ? (1996 1100 ACE) Will it be ok to switch to the syntheic? (THANKS)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
biglpierson said:
Want to change final drive oil from dino to syntheic. What is a good brand and viscosity to use ? (1996 1100 ACE) Will it be ok to switch to the syntheic? (THANKS)
You'll be looking at a viscosity range of 75W-90 (for most synthetic gear oil)
(they do make a 75W-140 but that's a little to far out of the required range)
Any name brand synthetic should be fine.
I don't know if you could find any synthetic gear oil that isn't EP rated (extreme pressure) or hypoid type. But if you don't see one of them in the large print on the front of the bottle, then look at the smaller print on the back. It does need to refer to one or the other before you use it.
And changing to synthetic gear oil is fine
MarkC

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have been using Spectrol 100% Synthetic rear end lube on my Wing and Shadow since ~ 1000 miles.

It is bright pink going in, and after a couple flushes, bright pink going out!

Since I have a magnet on the drain nut, it's easy to tell that the wear has reduced very much over time. All but no metal particles on the magnet.

If I could reverse time and do it again, I'd still use it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Royal Purple 75w90 in my cars and my bikes. I had it in a Toyota Supra I had for over 130k miles and the rear end was super quiet still. And to note those cars a known to get very noisy rear gear whine as they age...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts