Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my final drive rebuilt. It has a slight leak, which is getting into the rear drum affecting braking. I have opened it up and replaced the 2 bearings, but no luck.

Anyone have a suggestion on who could rebuild it for me? Or does anyone know where I can buy one that has already been rebuilt?

I'm in DFW, TX but I don't mind paying for shipping if necessary. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't trust eBay parts; I've been burned before. Especially when it says "Used" and nothing about being rebuilt.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Cay you identify wherre the oil is coming from? It's common for fluid to come out of the vent when riding in cooler weather. I solved that problem by going to synthetic gear oil. If you were able to replace the bearings, you should be able to replace the seals yourself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I meant the seals are what I replaced. It's definitely not leaking out if the vent because the inside where the brake shoes are is coated in gear oil. I'm at the point where I'm done messing with it, so I just want to buy a spare.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I just looked at the parts fiche for your bike and your looking at $1100 just for the cases, seals and bearings but the doesn't include the gear set. I would take a serious look at Ebay or a salvage yard befor I spend that kind of money. I've seen them listed for under a $100 shipped.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I just looked at the parts fiche for your bike and your looking at $1100 just for the cases, seals and bearings but the doesn't include the gear set. I would take a serious look at Ebay or a salvage yard before I spend that kind of money. I've seen them listed for under a $100 shipped.
^^^^^+1 ... and I don't think you'll find a company that rebuilds them. Perhaps a trusted local mechanic, but he'd better know what he's doing because those gear sets need to be shimmed and there are tolerances for everything. Try a Honda dealer and get an estimate.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you're stumped then it's time for a Honda or trusted mechanic. I am no good at mechanics other than general tinkering and modding so anything requiring specialized tools and many small parts goes to the bike hospital. I gaze in awe at guys rebuilding engines etc...but if you are stumped the Honda guy if he's worth beans won't be.

Dingo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
CW I don't know any good mechanics in our area. You could try Mr. Motorcycle Salvage over in Ft. Worth. They have a good indoor junkyard and their parts are well inventoried.
L & L on Lamar in Dallas is one I've done a lot of business with over the years. Tony is a good guy. You could call and talk to him about replacing your seals. The problem with L & L is that when you go there looking for a part he'll direct you to a section of the place but it's up to you to find it and some of it's stacked pretty high. They have truckloads of Japanese parts but not that many new bikes. 70's to 90's.
Mr. Motorcycle is probably your best bet. Once done I'd use a large quantity of aerosol carburetor cleaner and a bunch of blue shop towels on that brake.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do most of the work myself, but I don't know why replacing the seals didn't fix the problem. The reason I was looking for a rebuilt one was my dad just had the rear end on his BMW RT1100 rebuilt for about $300. But that guy only does BMW's. I was hoping to find someone who worked on Hondas. I guess I'll just take it into a shop somewhere.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I do most of the work myself, but I don't know why replacing the seals didn't fix the problem. The reason I was looking for a rebuilt one was my dad just had the rear end on his BMW RT1100 rebuilt for about $300. But that guy only does BMW's. I was hoping to find someone who worked on Hondas. I guess I'll just take it into a shop somewhere.
I think it is possible that something has been assembled wrong, not saying you caused it but maybe some previous owner fitted a seal wrong and you just copied it as you fitted the new one.. when you stripped it to replace the seal you would have noticed any wear or small bits of metal in there so I suggest you download an exploded view of the parts list just to make sure everything is fitted correctly.. it could save you hundreds of dollars..

John.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I found a motorcycle salvage yard in Alabama, I believe it's called Willies. You can look online and find it I think. I already have a list going for my ACE.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Replaced my differential and shaft for $70 from eBay. Works fine. I'm with jpr on the vent, check level even drain and go synthetic. Do check position of seals. These rear ends are pretty bullet proof. Biggest hazard is breaking the cast aluminum shock bracket... Don't ask how I know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
Leaking gear oil is no reason to rebuild a final drive. There is no guarantee that a second-hand spare won't leak as well.

Replaced 2 seals? # 30 & #32 in this fiche image? Damage the new ones during install? Put them in correctly? (There is definitely a wrong way!)

And guess what -- you need to replace #34 as well, the O-ring. It should probably be replaced every time the final drive is pulled -- as in whenever the tire is changed. Seldom gets done, even by a Honda shop. Slathering on moly paste won't preserve that O-ring.

On top of all that comes the issue of properly filling the final drive. Overfill it and it will leak. Every time.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Agree with adlowe on the overfilling, read the manual and do not remove the top vent cap, it is not for filling..

John.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish everyone would read before they post. It has not been overfilled. Overfilling would not cause it to leak into the drum brake housing. The top vent has not been removed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I'm saying is that the same thing is getting repeated that has nothing to do with my question.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts