Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been riding on my beginners permit since August last year, yep SAD I know! So i finally got off my A$$ and went today to take the test...AND I PASSED:-D I had a few points deducted for stopping violations, skidding back tire a little when I was not supposed to and on the emergency stop it took a couple extra feet, but just how fast should I be able to stop a 700lb+ bike with my 240lbs on it? I thought 19 ft was not too bad, idunno, but I passed! Now I am legal to do all of those things I have been doing anyway, two up, interstates, out of state and night time:p
So now here is the question...
How many of you are dragging you butts too? I have a bunch of friends that just keep renewing their permits. I did not want to be like them...forever:p
Coop

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I renewed my permit only once (good for six months at a time), and then I took the first MSF class I could get into after the weather warmed up. This was back in 2006/2007.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i'm draggin' my feet. :p

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
I think I kept renewing my permit in Indiana for about 8 years or something like that before I finally took the test. Passed it on the first try, but I am kind of surprised I did. My bike wasn't warmed up enough when I started and there were probably like 50 people there all watching and that made me incredibly nervous and I ended up making some stupid mistakes that I wouldn't normally have made.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Congrats. Still draggin' ass here!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Back before mandatory insurance, I rode for years with no license... not even a permit. Eventually, I sold my bike and didn't get another one for almost 20 years. A few years ago I got the itch to ride again. So I got my permit and borrowed my brother's old beater 70's era Kawasaki. But, it wouldn't pass inspection so I never did take the road test. I remained without a bike until about 6 weeks ago when I saw a deal on a VLX I couldn't pass up. So I renewed my permit, rode for three or four weeks to get used to the bike and headed down to the DMV for the road test.

I was working nights, so I booked the first appointment of the day. I was confident in my riding skills, but I was also really tired and a little nervous as I pulled into the parking lot just behind another rider. Turns out he had the second appointment for the riding test, and was really nervous about it, even though he had been riding for three years on a permit and obviously knew how to ride. I gave him a little pep talk about staying calm and relaxed and I went on my way.

Well, when I went inside I was told that the regular examiner had slept in and the branch manager would be giving me my test. It didn't make any difference to me, but the manager seemed pretty flustered. She kept fumbling with the paperwork on her clipboard, she set up the cones wrong, and she even had me ready to start on the wrong end. When the regular guy finally showed up, he fixed the setup and asked if I was all warmed up and ready. Off I went... cone weave, stop in a box, turn from a stop, u-turn inside the box, obstacle avoidance swerve, quick stop... done. I never hit a cone, never put my foot down, stayed in the box... I felt good about the test all the way through. He handed me my paperwork with no points deducted and I headed inside to get my picture taken.

I couldn't have been inside for more than five or six minutes getting my license printed. (While I was waiting for my license to print, the manager came out and made it a point to apologize to me about the earlier events.) When I came back out I noticed that the guy that I was talking to earlier was driving out of the parking lot. I don't know what happened. Maybe he dropped his bike, maybe he had some equipment failure, maybe he just chickened out. What I do know is that he didn't get his motorcycle endorsement that Wednesday. And the third guy that was taking the road test was practicing the cone weave on his shiny new Sportster. He had his feet down the entire time and was hitting more cones than he left standing. I sat and watched him for a few minutes, shook my head, and hoped he had a buddy to keep him out of trouble as he learned how to keep his mid-life crisis upright. Then, I fired up the little VLX and motored out of the DMV parking lot, a legal rider for the first time in my life. I must say, it felt pretty good.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My brother's learner expired,and he got pulled over doing 130mph quickly passing a dump truck. Had to have it towed home,and pay the wrecker ,cops wouldn't let him ride it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
driving test

It took 2 tries to get my beginners permit. [nerves about being watched couldn't do anything right plus there was guy with a dump truck getting his trailer endorsement witch made the confined space even more so ] Here you have to do a balance test too make sure you have good control of your bike too get your permit. I went for my drivers as soon as my 6 month waiting period was up I was nervous going in but I just kept telling myself just ride forget about the examiner. I did the route as laid out without a hitch,he said just a reminder to check behind me for the driver behind was stopping as well when making a left turn.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I'm old. I've had an MC on my license since I was 16. Just some stupid little written test. They didn't have all that class sh*t back in the day. :-D

Oh...and congratulations! :-D

·
Registered
103 Posts
congats to your permit!
i got mine 33 years ago and it is for lifetime.

have fun and ride safe
harry

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I renewed my permit only once (good for six months at a time), and then I took the first MSF class I could get into after the weather warmed up.
Same here. Never had to have an endorsement back when I was riding all the time, thought the class would be easier than going in to DMV cold turkey. Enjoyed the class :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm draggin'. We have graduated licensing here, and I have until May 2012 to get my m license or a have to start back at the beginning. M1 is a learners permit, good for 90 days, M2 is what I have, good for 5 years. I just have to go do the driving test and I will have my M. Need a new back tire before I can do it though.

MIke

·
Registered
748 Posts
Had the MC endorsement on my license for 42 years...god I'm gettin' old...

·
Registered
103 Posts
when i got my mc license back in 1978 it was same as getting a car driving license:
15 hours driving school theories, 8 hours first aid course with the red cross, minimum of 3 hours practice lessons on a bike at least 150 ccm, written test and a test ride of 45 minuted through the city with the license guy in a car following.

there is nothing like a "learners permit" you have to get a licende or you are not allowed to ride.

today, getting a mc license in germany is about 1.500 Euro = 2.000 us$
and if you are under 21 years old, you are limited with the ccm and the hp of the bike

ride safe
harry

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I got my motorcycle endorsement added to my license 21 years ago when I was a young 19 year old kid. I took the test on my 80cc Honda Elite scooter. I remember going into the box to do the required 3 figure eights, and the officer waving me out of the box halfway through as he was laughing hysterically. You see they had to let me take the test on the scooter, because anything over 50cc in Pennsylvania at the time was classified as a motorcycle. In fact I couldn't legally ride the scooter without the M endorsement, so I had no problem showing up for the test with it. Of course the police officer was practically in hysterics, and of course the test was ridiculously easy on the scooter. What I didn't realize was that after the road course I had to take a written test as well. At the time I thought that since I had a regular drivers license that I only had to take a road test. So it was a shock when the officer told me to proceed inside for the written test. It all worked out though as I passed the written, and got my permit stamped. Back then the permits where made of paper. When you passed the test they stamped it. I had to carry that with me until my next license renewal, when the M was added to my picture license.

·
Registered
103 Posts
@ lantesh
that was similar to my "small mc license" i got when i was 16 years old.
that limited me to 50 ccm and 5hp bikes

i have to admit, that i had to take the written test a second time, because i was not well prepared.

ride safe
harry

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been out of the country since 2008 and just recently came back to the US this January 2011. Also, my work schedule hasn't allowed me to go to the licensing place at the right day and time. So, I only have a permit thus far. I will eventually get the endorsement added to my license however.....just don't know when.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts