Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with a lot of thanks to this forum, my '85 Shadow was started for the first time in about 11-12 yrs. I ended up buying a completely rebuilt carburetor set. The one I took off of mine will need some repair work as well as a full rebuild. I'll do that eventually to that one, and keep it as a spare. Now though, the bike starts right up without too much hassle. Still haven't taken it on the road yet though. Still some things to do. The next step is changing the coolant and oil/filter. Have to figure out the starting issue too. The button itsself is cracked. And, when I press it, there is usually a delay in the bike turning over. Sometimes its just a second..other times I'll have to release the button and then try again. I have a new solenoid on the way...hopefully that's the issue. New front brake light switch coming as well. Already replaced the front pads and fluid as well as the clutch fluid. Once she's on the road, the tires will be changed for new, and I'll have the shop replace the fork seals at the same time as mine are leaking. But, its getting closer to being back on the road! With still less than 20,000 original miles it should be a nice little cruiser if all the little things can be taken care of.

The last time I tried to post a picture, they were doubled for some reason. I'll try to get a few posted here soon.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,193 Posts
Congrats on getting your old Shadow running!

Not sure what starter switch Honda used in the 80's, but your starting issue sounds like a dirty switch.

What part of the switch is broken? The button?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,891 Posts
No I haven't. Not yet anyways. Almost afraid to though with it cracked into two pieces. Hate to have it fall completely apart.
They are made in 2 pieces or is yours snapped in an additonal 2 pieces for a total of 4? Remove the screws and yes they will kind of fall off but they won't hit the ground if you're careful. Just pull the screws slowly, seperate slowly and pay attention to how the parts are. You can even take pictures as you go if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts