Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Mine killed holding the clutch, that's why i freaked a little when it died.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The switch will kill the engine if it is in gear with or without the clutch pulled in. So yours seems to be operating as normal, Bro Eddie.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm going to make a suggestion in a different direction.... get some comfortable boots!! I spent 23 years working steel flight decks and now I work on concrete flight lines and diamond steel truck beds in temps between 105 and -5. It's amazing what a quality, comfortable set of boots can do for a pair of feet. My boots might not look like the classic "biker boot" but all my boots are steel toes, steel shanked and my dogs ain't barkin' at the end of the day.... and my feet and ankles are protected riding the bike down the road. my .02 anyway.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I forgot to ask about this yesterday, but is anyone else's kickstand tough to move like mine? I have to put some muscle into it to kick it up or down. I'm afraid I might throw myself off balance trying to kick it down and end up dropping the bike.
A spray of WD40 will fix your kickstand woes in about 1 second. Worked like a charm on mine and it's been fine now for a year after.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
BugMagnet is right, should come down with very little effort.

Clutch switch is to allow starting in gear, ie engine died in traffic, but yes side-stand down switch will kill it "clutched" or not. NO REASON to ever have in gear w/stand down.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, as said above, the switch is to kill it when in gear, and the kickstand down. Some lube will fix the sidestand, and a quickie fix would be the wd-40. There are times to have it in gear with the stand down, like when on an incline, parked. Saw a friend's VTX1300 fall in that instance, and it isn't too fun at all.-----Metalguy

·
Registered
932 Posts
On the sticky switches you can use aerosol brake cleaner to blast any crud out of there and I suggest using a dielectric grease for any exposed parts of the switches that you can get at. For the stuff that is harder unless you like micro disassembly, WD40 is probably just fine.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I took the bike out again today for another thirty or so miles. The boots helped tremendously with maneuvering and I'm more confident now, although I still can't quite flat foot it in a relaxed state but I can if I try. I'm going to ride it for a bit more before making any decisions on changing seats or shocks for now (although the seat is probably going to get changed anyway).
Yeah, ride it awhile, you might adjust to it. I couldn't flat foot my first 3 bikes and since changing the seat on my Bonneville (new seat is higher) it sounds like it fits me the same way yours does you.
Just be careful on hills and in gravel/sandy spots. Those are the places that will trip you up if your footing isn't really firm. It just takes more care and concentration.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah, ride it awhile, you might adjust to it. I couldn't flat foot my first 3 bikes and since changing the seat on my Bonneville (new seat is higher) it sounds like it fits me the same way yours does you.
Just be careful on hills and in gravel/sandy spots. Those are the places that will trip you up if your footing isn't really firm. It just takes more care and concentration.
That is a good looking bonnie!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks to everyone for their input! Bike's gonna sit it the garage for a bit more until I fix the most immediate issues such as the battery and exhaust leak, and I'll clean the turn signal switch as well as my kill switch (has issues as well). Then I will continue to ride it for a few hundred miles or more at least before deciding to to any changes.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts