Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it finally happened. After posting and trolling thru threads to find out if its possible to have a riding career and NOT drop the poor thing, it finally happened to me yesterday evening.
I got home from work and wanted to go out riding some more but got caught by the missus in a 'honey-do' moment to go to the store. I said sure, but what you need is pretty small, I'll take the bike. So, with her mouth hanging open, I put on my gear and jumped on the bike and headed to the grocery store (Winco for those who care)! I went down the aisles and picked up some green onions, tomatoes, asparagus, jalapenos and then over to the meat section for some nice shrimp and andouille sausage. Mmmm, I could tell this was going to be a lip-smacking good dinner! I headed to checkout, reached over and grabbed a twix to congratulate myself on getting to the store on the bike, dropped the plastic to pay and out the door I went. I was even patting myself on the back because I had used a nice paper bag for the food. I got to the bike and scratched my head; "Hmm, I don't have any saddlebags or a backpack and the bag seems a bit too big for my cargo net. Aaah, I got it!" So I tighten up the bottom cinches of my jacket and used it for a pocket to carry the veggies. Now the bag was small enough to go under the cargo net and away I went; proud as 16 year old just got his first lovin. So I cruised all the way back home and just before I pulled into my driveway, my brain just froze and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what to do. I dropped it to first gear and completely let off the throttle and my poor baby had had enough and stalled out. So here I am in slow motion feeling myself fall and thinking about all my questions and comments on dropping the bike. On top of that, I just got my cobra crash bars in the mail 2 days before but hadn't installed them yet. Ahh well you live and you learn. Embarassing? Yes. Damage to bike? Surprisingly the only damage was a broken cargo net and my squished tomatoes. I picked the bike up and put her in the garage, went into the house and the missus made a fabulous dinner!
So what's the moral of the story?? Well, I guess its simply this. Brain cramps can and do happen but it just pays to take them with a grain of sand and move on. That, and its probably not a good idea to put tomatoes in your jacket against a white t-shirt unless you want to scare the crap outta folks who think your a bloody mess!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well the important part is, no one was watching.

One time on an old CX500 with no kickstand safety switch, I parked in front of a taco joint, the kind of place with plate glass and booths so the diners could look out at the action in the parking lot. Put down the stand, let out the clutch with the bike still idling, and it jumped forward and before it stalled it rolled off the stand and went down with me straddling it. After I got it upright again I decided I really didn't feel like tacos so I left.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
ehh.. it happens bud! glad your bike was okay!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I almost did a similar thing. I was washing the bike in the driveway (and of course the neighbor across the street is outside in her short shorts and t shirt that could fit a toddler). I got it parked with the left side facing the house, so the kickstand is actually on higher ground than right side. Anyway, I turn the handlebars to get a better angle at washing it and the bike starts to roll downhill. The kickstand starts to fold up. I'm no little guy and used to do alot of power lifting, but when your hands and the bike are wet, you are caught off gaurd and you're sitting on one of those little stools with castor wheels on the bottom, life is not good. Thank god I managed to keep everything upright, and my audience across the street was none the wiser. :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I often forget until too late that I am riding my bike. I brought home a 6' Christmas tree while wearing a Santa Clause suit one year. Most recently I went by to hang with a friend, had a beer, then ordered an extra large pizza to take home. Had to scratch my head for a bit trying to figure out how to get it home without screwing up the pizza. I think the Christams tree was easier!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Congrats! You got it out of the way :)

My most recent occasion on dropping my bike was on my new Magna, as I was maneuvering it by foot in the garage. It was soon after I bought it, I was still used to my much larger VT1100. When moving my VT1100 around by foot, I had always left the stand down because it never got in the way and provided me some extra security in case I slipped (for those that don't know, I could not flat foot this bike). The Magna's kickstand does get in the way, so I temporarily moved it up while I was moving the bike and then totally erased it from my mind. When I was satisfied with where I moved it to, I immediately went to set it down on the kickstand and before I realized it wasn't down, it was too late to save...

Boy was I pissed! At least it didn't scratch the paint or anything. Just knocked a mirror loose, and put a couple of faint scratches on one of my exhaust tips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
no kick stand switch

Well the important part is, no one was watching.

One time on an old CX500 with no kickstand safety switch, I parked in front of a taco joint, the kind of place with plate glass and booths so the diners could look out at the action in the parking lot. Put down the stand, let out the clutch with the bike still idling, and it jumped forward and before it stalled it rolled off the stand and went down with me straddling it. After I got it upright again I decided I really didn't feel like tacos so I left.
Done something similar to this on my old bike. It was a 1980 KZ440 with no kick stand switch... I was talking to a buddy beside me right after work. We each saddled up our bikes, and I reached over and hit the starter switch... Now I normally leave it in neutral, but this time I had left it in gear, so when the starter hit the bike lurched forward a few feet. I was caught completely by surprise, and nearly dumped it, but luckily the little '440 was so light I caught it before it hit the ground:)

My biker friends at work really loved the show. I heard about that one for months!

Later,

·
Registered
32 Posts
My first drop was a couple weeks after I got it <first bike > I like you went to the store for some french bread and stuff for dinner. I got to the store no problem. Stopped the bike took off my gloves. Started to get off the bike... hmmmm why is the world tilting?? OH RIGHT the kickstand. Forgot the kickstand <first bike still new lol>. So over I go. To make things worse it fell into a cart stall so there was not alot of room to bend and lift. Luckily a nice man came over to help.

The second time i was on my lawn trying to put it on the center stand. PUUULLLLL and over she went onto the grass.... BUT as luck would have it I just watched a video on youtube on how to lift a bike. Great I got some practice in.

Third time was after the wife didn't believe how easy it was to actually lift a bike so i set it down in the same spot and showed her how. she lifted no problem.... no drops since... yet!!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I also have dropped my bike...

Course, that was because I was hit by soccer-mom-bitch who didn't see me and caused great injury to my person, not from tomatoes or other raw veggies or a state of forgetfulness...but...

NONETHELESS....

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's kind of like a club, it seems. And I might be running for president. Glad all was OK.

Jim

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
chalk it up to another moment in a series of stupid " Hope no one saw me " moments

·
Registered
847 Posts
I also have dropped my bike...

soccer-mom-bitch who didn't see me ....NONETHELESS....
I think I met her a couple of days ago..although I avoided hitting her when she decided to occupy the same lane I was in..Unfortunately, all I knew to do was hit the brakes and ultimately lost it and we went tumbling down median.
Biggest damage to the bike was a big scrape on the 'shadow' decal on the tank. :x It'd just been painted, too.
I'm shopping for highway bars instead of saddlebags now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
"grain of salt" not "grain of sand" saying is to add some good to something bad. unless im missing some sort of shadow inside joke here.

srry bout being a cliche nazi. lol
glad to hear the only damage was the tomatoes, wouldnt want her sending you back out again,

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The way I see it there are those who have and there are those who lie about it.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I think I met her a couple of days ago..although I avoided hitting her when she decided to occupy the same lane I was in..Unfortunately, all I knew to do was hit the brakes and ultimately lost it and we went tumbling down median.
Biggest damage to the bike was a big scrape on the 'shadow' decal on the tank. :x It'd just been painted, too.
I'm shopping for highway bars instead of saddlebags now.
+1 on crash bars:wink:

COBRA FREEWAY HIGHWAY BARS HONDA SHADOW AERO 750 VT750 | eBay

That's a good price for this time of year and I highly endorse the Cobra product. See pics from my crash above. Saved my legs...

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
The way I see it there are those who have and there are those who lie about it.

Nope, I am not a liar and have NOT dropped a bike YET! I hope like **** I dont start soon!
Yes Mark your bike does look DAM GOOD!
Coop

1 - 20 of 25 Posts