Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
runs pretty good, starts easy.

a couple of problems though.

occasionaly, if I get on the bike hard thru 1st and second or heck even 3rd gear, and then have to let off, it will sometimes die as IM coasting down with the clutch in.

other thing, sometimes when slowing down to a stop sign or light, I feel the air filter cover pop on my right knee.
I cant HEAR any popping on deceleration, but occasionally I do think it backfires in there and shakes the cover.

are these things normal?

I ran out my second tank of gas today, and I once again added some seafoam.

bike always starts easily, and makes good power, ive got the idle down fairly low, but not so low that it is shaking or 'loping'

totally stock bike as far as I can tell, nice quiet pipes, and factory air filter ( that isnt too dirty)

any ideas or help is appreciated!

· Registered
91 Posts
A loose carb. boot will cause these symptoms. I have had mine to blow off one side and kill the engine before. Check the boot band bolts to see if they are loose.

I have not owned a V-twin yet that didn't pop (or cough) a little when blipping the throttle. Solution: don't blip the throttle.

Stan

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the carb boot. simple enough.

I grew up in Corinth MS by the way, maybe close to where you are.

Ive learned to blip the throttle to make sure its running when im coasting, other wise I have to focus on the oil pressure warning light!

It actually doesnt pop when I do this though....

maybe my carb is still dirty from the year of sitting...

· Registered
91 Posts
I'm about 36 miles east of Florence, AL. Corinth is not too far from us and I have been there a few times. I'll be headed through there again in about 4 weeks on my way to Eureka Springs, Ar for a motorcycle rally. I also belong to a forum specific to the Honda Shadow Ace Tourer and we have our annual spring rally there the last week of April.

Keep adding the Seafoam, it won't hurt anything. Since the bike has been sitting that long, you may eventually have to clean the carbs manually. Another item that is easy to check is the fuel filter. It can get partially clogged by the gelled fuel when sitting that long.

Stan

· Registered
902 Posts
Mine (2002) will sometimes die if I go from mid-throttle to closed with the clutch in all at once, unless it's good and warm (>15 minutes riding).
The solution: I don't do that any more.
When I brake or decel I leave the clutch out until I've had the throttle closed for a second or so, and then it idles down fine. I think it just needs to use up the gas in the circuit so it doesn't load up, or something like that.
I don't think I'm badly tuned, because it runs fine, plugs read well, doesn't backfire on decel, and will idle for extended periods when warm.
I do nudge (a mild blip, not a blast!) the throttle every half minute or so if I'm at a long light, or it starts to lope a little. (I'm only talking an extra 500 rpm, not the stereotypical roar that everyone who doesn't do it hates.)

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highlandman,

thanks, thats sort of what ive been doing, and it sounds identical to your scenario.

I just figured a late model honda carb would not have those symptoms, but possible fuel injection has spoiled me on my other toys.

Bodean,

Im near Eureka Springs now!
funny, small world I guess, Im likely heading to MS for Easter to see the inlaws, oh joy!

:D

· Registered
902 Posts
OzarkJeep said:
Highlandman,
I just figured a late model honda carb would not have those symptoms, but possible fuel injection has spoiled me on my other toys.
Yeah... I'll check the boot on mine, too, just in case. But a carb is still a carb; they're hard to get as consistent and quirk-free as a well designed FI system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.