Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to riding. Have ridden many years ago and will be having a former pro racer teach me the finer points of getting safe on the road. He would love to see me get a nice used BMW R1200RT and while that is a fine machine, I am not sure I want to put out the $$$ it would take to get on one. So after much research I have come up with looking at a Spirit 1100 and a Vulcan 900. I like the larger front wheels of both.... some of my riding will be done on groomed gravel roads. I live about a mile off of the main asphalt. Not out to ride rough roads, just the occasional roads around here and to get home. Any of the bikes I am considering can do that.

2 up will be a consideration as well but not the main focus. I am about 6'1" 250 with plans on losing about 50 pounds.... yes I am.... hehehe

What really attracts me to a Spirit and Vulcan is that both will have the power to do what I want in a first bike. The Spirit is really attractive for the maintenance free valves vs. the Vulcan. What is questionable about the Spirit is the carb vs EFI of the Vulcan. Also, I can pick up a NICE Spirit with LOW miles for about $3k or less. Hard to find that in a Vulcan. Typically the Vulcan will be $4k and up. Also, I have read that the Spirit is a bit better on the highway if only marginally so.

So my question to y'all is how problematic is having a bike with a carb? I am handy with tools and have no problem doing my own maintenance. EFI is great but if I can be sold on the fact that having a carb ain't that bad I would love to seriously consider a Spirit....

Thanks in advance.

Tim

·
Registered
356 Posts
All of my bikes have been carbed and the only problem I have ever had was when I bought one that had been sitting for a few years with gas in it. Even that wasn't bad,I just tore the carb down,soaked the parts overnight and reassembled and all was good. As long as you don't let the bike sit for an extended period with gas in the carb you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Never had to get in my carb ever and I have lots of miles on my bike, bought new. Riding a lot helps that.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
So I am new to riding. Have ridden many years ago and will be having a former pro racer teach me the finer points of getting safe on the road. He would love to see me get a nice used BMW R1200RT and while that is a fine machine, I am not sure I want to put out the $$$ it would take to get on one. So after much research I have come up with looking at a Spirit 1100 and a Vulcan 900. I like the larger front wheels of both.... some of my riding will be done on groomed gravel roads. I live about a mile off of the main asphalt. Not out to ride rough roads, just the occasional roads around here and to get home. Any of the bikes I am considering can do that.

2 up will be a consideration as well but not the main focus. I am about 6'1" 250 with plans on losing about 50 pounds.... yes I am.... hehehe

What really attracts me to a Spirit and Vulcan is that both will have the power to do what I want in a first bike. The Spirit is really attractive for the maintenance free valves vs. the Vulcan. What is questionable about the Spirit is the carb vs EFI of the Vulcan. Also, I can pick up a NICE Spirit with LOW miles for about $3k or less. Hard to find that in a Vulcan. Typically the Vulcan will be $4k and up. Also, I have read that the Spirit is a bit better on the highway if only marginally so.

So my question to y'all is how problematic is having a bike with a carb? I am handy with tools and have no problem doing my own maintenance. EFI is great but if I can be sold on the fact that having a carb ain't that bad I would love to seriously consider a Spirit....

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Back in 2010 when I started thinking about getting a bike again, I visited my local Kawi dealer and fell in love with the 900 Classic but couldn't find a new 2009 in black and metallic read. That color scheme was not available in the 2010 model. The Vulcan is about $2K more because of the FI and with it's belt drive requires very little maintenance. I ended up holding out on the Vulcan waiting for my Dad to sell me his well cared for 96 Shadow 1100. Carbed bikes are fine as long as you take proper precautions during storage and check the rubber boot clamps and re-tighten every year.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks Eagle.
If you live in a warm weather State, check out your local bike dealers and see if they'll let you take the bikes for a test drive to see how they handle and fit your figure. Then make your decision and look at the private sale postings. Buying a used bike from a dealer usually comes with a short term warranty and has been checked out vs no warranty from a private seller and is sold "as is". It's all about what you can afford now or later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in 2010 when I started thinking about getting a bike again, I visited my local Kawi dealer and fell in love with the 900 Classic but couldn't find a new 2009 in black and metallic read. That color scheme was not available in the 2010 model. The Vulcan is about $2K more because of the FI and with it's belt drive requires very little maintenance. I ended up holding out on the Vulcan waiting for my Dad to sell me his well cared for 96 Shadow 1100. Carbed bikes are fine as long as you take proper precautions during storage and check the rubber boot clamps and re-tighten every year.
The Shadow's shaft-drive requires even less maintenence (if any).

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
The Shadow's shaft-drive requires even less maintenence (if any).
Driveline shaft splines molly grease and rear end oil needs to be be changed. Plus belt drive offers more engine torque/response to the rear wheel vs shaft drive.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I like gettin to use the choke and that warm up period and the exhaust fumes and waking the neighbors. I think I would miss that if I had EFI and just cranked it up and rode off with no fanfare. Besides Vulcan is a different forum. :)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I like gettin to use the choke and that warm up period and the exhaust fumes and waking the neighbors. I think I would miss that if I had EFI and just cranked it up and rode off with no fanfare. Besides Vulcan is a different forum. :)
3 oz of B-12 added to your gas tank will stink up the neighborhood. :) I know from experience but it does a darn good job as a stabilizer and fuel system cleaner over and beyond SeaFoam. Also works well as a mosquito repellant :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts