Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well damnit, I crashed today. Somebody pulled in front of me (on the freeway going 55 mph) and slammed the brakes and so did I, all the gradual braking techniques flew right out the door as I was about to plow right into the truck in front of me. I evidently locked the front wheel of my honda shadow and down I went, I fell right on MY FACE. Thank god I had a full helmet on because I don't know what I would look like without it.

Strangely enough as soon as thing settled down I found my left leg pinned under the bike and the guy who pulled right in front of me realized what he had done and to his credit, he stopped and came to give me a hand. This is the 710 in Long Beach mind you so there was a lot of traffic. As I got up all I could say was "how's my helmet, is my helmet intact?" and all he could say was "are you all right man?" I was a bit out of it and all I could remember at that time is that I fell right on my face without anything bracing me so my helmet had to be a complete mess.

Not so, my helmet is just fine and dandy apart from some serious scratches. In fact, I am completely fine apart from a bit of a headache and some nasty bruises on the leg and elbow.

My Sabre (1100) is in pretty good shape too. The left mirror was torn right off, some scratches on the tank and the shifter was a little twisted. I managed to twist it back to a driveable position. The steering seems a bit "off". Any idea how I fix that?

I've been replaying the whole incident over and over again. Is there something I could have done to avoid it. What if I had managed to gradually brake without locking the front wheel, would I have hit the truck in front of me? Could I have somehow detected the truck coming into my lane quicker? How the hell did this happen?

I'm bumming but at the same time I realize that things could have been worse. I was going about 55 mph at the time and traffic was rather heavy. I know I'm lucky but I just don't feel very lucky right now.

Sorry for the long winded story but I guess I needed a forum to vent on. God forbid I tell this to my friends lest they freak out and start patronizing. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
305 Posts
he i am glad your ok i had the almost the same thing happen to me a few last week... its painful and it sucks but hey least you can still walk... Welcome to the forum and thank the higher powers that be that your ok

·
Registered
521 Posts
Advice? Constant vigilant awareness of your surroundings. and maybe stay out of heavy traffic. But, Hindsight is always 20/20. All you can do is count your blessings and go on. You can listen to the sermon on spatial awareness and practice all the safety techniques and sh*t still happens. I have to think that some rider ability automatically kicked in for you to come out as well as you did.

I'm glad we can read about this on the forum instead of the obituaries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad your o.k. man. As for advice i would say keep 3 lenghts away from the vehicle in front of you, allways have an escape route, and be very aware of your surroundings. Its easy to say all these safety things, but it is another story applying them in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I suffered a left turner in December and I did the same thing as you...grabbed the brake...
Learn to apply both while saying, "front brake, front brake, front brake."

If you grab the brakes and the handlebars are turned the least bit you'll go down like a cheap hooker.
If you are at slow speed and you use the front brake you'll go down like a magnet was pulling the bike.

After I replayed my crash over a bazillion times and figured out what I had done wrong I went and practiced my braking.

A couple of weeks ago the same thing happened to me again, with the exception that I stopped the bike upright and never touched his car.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Man, you could sit there for days second guessing yourself. I had my first crash a year ago; driver crossed over in to my lane on a curve. Spent enough time wondering if I coulda done something different; finally decided enough, and got back on the bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You've found a great bunch of folks.

Sorry to hear about the crash, but as has already been stated.....thank God you're alright.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Safe

Thankfully you are safe. This is another endorsement for wearing all of your protective gear all of the time. Noone ever expects to go down and it happens very quickly and is a violent episode. As the literature says, your punkin impacts first. I suspect it was not your front wheel that locked up but your rear wheel. Mox-nix, you are safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Replace the helmet. The forks are probable tweaked in the clamps. Your risers might also be shifte in the upper clamp. It happens. Try loosening it all up a little, just enough to move things around, and tweak it back. It's alot like adjusting the gooseneck on a bike. Loosen, tweak, tighten, check, repeat till happy.

Sorry about the fall. Count your blessings and learn from it. Ride on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
glad you're doing well.

i took my first/last spill late last fall, turning into a driveway but didn't see the mud on the asphalt and she slid right out from under me. I was only going maybe 10mph, and escaped with torn jeans and a badly scratched exhaust pipe.
new jeans, a new V&H exhaust system (and an engine guard to protect my toes) and a vow to ALWAYS drive defensively. oh yeah, and i had to repeat my promise to my wife that i'd ALWAYS wear a helmet. my brother was killed on his Harley in town going 25mph about 20 years ago - first thing i thought of when i went down was how would i explain this to my mom??

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
byg_mi said:
All you can do is count your blessings and go on. You can listen to the sermon on spatial awareness and practice all the safety techniques and sh*t still happens. I have to think that some rider ability automatically kicked in for you to come out as well as you did.
Excellent post and I agree 100 %. I am a firm believer that in some situations, regardless of how good a rider we maybe there are accidents we will never be able to avoid. When your cruising at 55 mph and crap happens directly in front of you in heavy traffic, its incredibly hard to avoid a wreck. You have no where to go.

I am thankful you came out of this as good as you did.

I am curious, maybe you can help a few of us here on helmet selection. What brand helmet did you have ? Your accident now has me thinking of going to a modular helmet and dumping my 3/4. God knows I am uglier then necessary already and cannot afford a pavement collision with my face. :) Please do post what type and brand of helmet you were wearing.

Chris

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like the only things you might have been able to do differently is leave more following distance and use an alternate route (heavy freeway traffic is really dangerous). Following distance in heavy freeway traffic can be tough, if not impossible. As soon as you leave enough, some bozo will dive in, more often than not. And Southern California often has no alternate routes.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
strider said:
Following distance in heavy freeway traffic can be tough, if not impossible. As soon as you leave enough, some bozo will dive in, more often than not.
You have that right. When I am driving my coach, I try and leave a big distance between me and the next car on a freeway. You do not stop a 33,000 lb. bus quickly. Seems everytime I get a safe distance between me and the next car, some jerk swings in front of me and screws my plans up. :)

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, thank you for the welcome wishes! I've been lurking here for a long time but obviously chose to make this my first post...

Second, thank you for replying, sharing your own stories and giving some pointers. I'm still trying to figure things out.

As far as my helmet goes...man, I just thank my lucky stars I wasn't wearing my half helmet that day. It's an HJC (CL-15) and I will buy the EXACT same model. In fact, I swear I will always buy the same brand from now on, lol. That's the least I can do for still having teeth to chew food with.

Once again, I appreciate all the reply and hope to get to know you all better in the future.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Universl:

We are glad to have you as a participating member and welcome more posts from you in the future. But I think I am speaking for everyone here when I say " please, make this your first and last post about a crash you have had. :) "

Thanks also for taking the time to post about your helmet. You have helped me considerably and I can see a full face or modular helmet in my future.

Again, welcome to the forum. Hope your healing up well and will be ready to ride soon.

Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad you are OK. Two things:

First, don't forget about the 2 second rule. Always maintain at least 2 seconds between you and the car you are following.

Second, when watching the cars that may pull in front of you from side streets or parking lots, watch their front tires. You can see them spin before you can detect any movement of the car itself. It will give you a little extra time to avoid anything bad.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow! Glad you are OK, and welcome! Yeah, everything that can be said about following distance goes out the window when someone else does something stupid. My suggestion would be to take an experienced rider course when you and your bike get better. I took one a few weeks ago, and the emergency braking practice was really good for me. You always think you can practice that stuff by yourself, but you never really do it as thoroughly as when you have someone else right there reminding you what you need to improve on. Practicing the correct technique and trying to use it all the time in non-emergency situations is the way to be sure that instinct will kick in with proper technique in an emergency situation.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.