Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really silly question, but I am about to do my first oil change on my Aero. I bought the oil, filter and filter wrench at the dealership. Someone told me though that I need to replace the compression washer. Is this something that I buy separately or is in the oil filter packaging? If it is something that I buy separately I'm going to beat the service attendant for not telling me this when I bought the original stuff.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The little copper washers are good for several oil changes, next time you are at the dealer pick up a couple, but I think I have used one new one in 20k miles of oil changes at 2000-3000 mile intervals. So they are not critical.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. A couple people told me that when I do the first oil change I have to change the washer. This is all new to me so I don't know if what I hear is accurate or not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
LolaRider said:
This is probably a really silly question, but I am about to do my first oil change on my Aero. I bought the oil, filter and filter wrench at the dealership. Someone told me though that I need to replace the compression washer. Is this something that I buy separately or is in the oil filter packaging? If it is something that I buy separately I'm going to beat the service attendant for not telling me this when I bought the original stuff.
The compression washer that they are referring to is the sealing washer that is on the oil drain plug. Some OEM washers are aluminum and are about the same color as the drain plug. Sometimes they stick to the drain plug, and other times the stick to the engine case. So watch for it when you remove the drain plug.
MarkC

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
In ten years of oil changes, I have yet to replace the washer. The washer is smashed pretty flat, but still seals good. I think I'll pick up a few for future oil changes to be safe however.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
you can also use an oversize oil filter so you filter more of the oil going to your motor. the stock oil filter on my bike is 2.5" long and the Baldwin filter that i use is 4" long.

ROD

·
Registered
233 Posts
More important than having a sealing washer on the drain bolt is getting the specified torque done, which is in your driver's manual.
I have always used a dab of Rectorseal slow dry, soft set #5 thread sealant around the threads on every vehicle I have owned.
A 3/8" drive torque wrench and a 17mm socket is a good investment.
Good luck...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I always have one on hand just incase, as Mark says, it stick or gets lost in the oil. I use a new one every 10k miles, but save up, it is a whopping 10 cents :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Torque? Uh, what? I assume that has something to do with the amount of pressure used to turn bolts and stuff. Did I forget to mention that I'm not mechanically inclined. However, when I was on my ride yesterday, the guys I ride with insisted that it's a piece of cake to change the oil. They described it unscrew this, drain that, replace this and screw it all back together. Perhaps in "man terms" this makes sense, but I need it put into "woman terms".

Perhaps I should just call the Honda dealer and fork over the cash to have a professional do it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
LolaRider said:
Torque? Uh, what? They described it unscrew this, drain that, replace this and screw it all back together. Perhaps in "man terms" this makes sense, but I need it put into "woman terms".
I'll Try:

First: Righty, tighty, Lefty, loosy.
Torque is usually referred to when tightenen a bolt or threaded appliance. Torque specs will tell you how much to tighten so as not to leave it too loose or not to tighten it up so tight that you ruin the threads. (threads - not a sewing term). :wink:
Torque specs are a little overkill for doing an oil change, moderation in the amount of torque is defintiely needed as we are sealing parts not holding parts together.

To remove the oil drain plug: Place a pan (9X13 pyrex baking pan will work - although sometimes hard to get out of the kitchen undetected) under the drain plug. You need a pan flat enough to go under the bike while it is on the kickstand and big enough to hold 3.3qts of oil.

Attach the correct size wrench to the drain plug (socket 17mm I think, or box end - do not use pliers, open end, or vise grips and if you don't know what these are, just don't use anything that you have to squeeze to make it hold on to the bolt head, or that doesn't completely encircle the bolt-head)

Turn the bolt counter clockwise(lefty) until it come out - spilling the contents of black oil, into the baking dish. (you will never have to grease that dish again, but I would recommend staying away from baking light colored dishes in it for a few cycles).
After it finishes draining place the dish under the oil filter

To remove the oil filter you will need an oil filter wrench or strap wrench.
Place it on the filter and turn left (if this is not a factory installed filter or "king kong mechanic" didn't install the last one, it will turn pretty easily). Oil will drip out of the point where the filter connects to the block of the bike - just a little oil, remove the filter completely dump contents in baking pan.

Wipe off the sealing surface of the block where the oil filter attached (NOTE: I MEAN NOTE!!! that the seal from the old oil filter did not stick to the block where the new filter will seal).
Schemear some oil on the seal of the new oil filter - just rub a little around it with your finger tip, to prepare for assembly. Just like you would grease a cake pan, sans flour dusting.

Put the new filter on by hand - and tighten as much as you can using a rag for grip, but do not use the filter wrench.
Replace the drain plug (and washer - sometimes the washer will fall in the baking dish so make sure you find it if it's not still attached to the bolt).

Replace the draing bolt by hand until it is finger tight - apply wrench to the bolt and tighten until just snug - not too tight, not too loose - the torque thing.

Don't compare the force it took to remove the drain plug - to the torque you should apply to replace - they are not equal. You want to the bolt to stop moving when moderate pressure is applied to the handle of the wrench.
If you get a slow leak, you can always give it a little more torque.....too much torque is often worse than not quite enough.

EDIT: Add the recommended amount, of the recommended type and weight of oil specified by your motorcycle owners manual.
Start the bike look for leaks, tighten filter or drain bolt if needed - just a little (rarely happens that you need to do any addtional tightening)

The best advise I can give:
If you get someone to come over and walk you through the first oil change it will be so much easier - and you will have a much better 'feel' for what is right and wrong. It is simple - but so is cooking, however until you have done either a few times with guidance "you don't know what you don't know" :wink:

Good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chuck, you are a godsend. Finally, oil change 101 put into terms I can understand. I'm printing this out and while I still may have a friend come over to run through the first one with me, this is just what I needed. Perhaps I'll just let my friend watch me do it on my own so I get a feel for it the first time.

The references to baking a cake were a hoot! However, I think I better get a separate pan for draining as if I use one of my mother's (I don't cook or bake) she'll probably kill me.

Thank you again!

Christina

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
LolaRider said:
Chuck, you are a godsend. Finally, oil change 101 put into terms I can understand. I'm printing this out and while I still may have a friend come over to run through the first one with me, this is just what I needed. Perhaps I'll just let my friend watch me do it on my own so I get a feel for it the first time.

The references to baking a cake were a hoot! However, I think I better get a separate pan for draining as if I use one of my mother's (I don't cook or bake) she'll probably kill me.

Thank you again!

Christina
Sorry you will need to reprint - I added an important EDIT- :oops:

But you would have figured it out before getting very far down the road....I am sure :shock:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the edit, just in case I got confused :lol:

I know to many changing in the oil is probably no big deal. Once I do it, I'll probably wonder why I made such a big deal out of it. However, before I get past my first time, I don't want to screw it up and have bits of the bike going flying off when I start my baby up.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
LolaRider said:
Thanks for the edit, just in case I got confused :lol:

I know to many changing in the oil is probably no big deal. Once I do it, I'll probably wonder why I made such a big deal out of it. However, before I get past my first time, I don't want to screw it up and have bits of the bike going flying off when I start my baby up.
You aren't the first to be asking these question or nervous about doing the first oil change. Better now than after making a mistake.

The good news is there is very little to go wrong that won't be blatently obivous or with a little observation immediately after starting and warming up the bike:

Example - My Uncle (not very mechanically inclined to say the least) decided to change the oil in his car, in my fathers driveway (that would be my father's brother-in-law so you know it can't be good), one day and added all 5 quarts of oil - but had not replace the drain plug.......it was an asphalt driveway.....BF-mess. :lol:

I on the other hand didn't check for the filter seal stuck on the block, started the car and left a big 5" wide swash of oil as I backed down the driveway spewing oil from between the two seals. Thankfully I was backing up and saw the mess (same driveway different year) before running out of oil completely.... :oops:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
You aren't the first to be asking these question or nervous about doing the first oil change. Better now than after making a mistake.
The good news is there is very little to go wrong that won't be blatently obivous or with a little observation immediately after starting and warming up the bike:
Example - My Uncle (not very mechanically inclined to say the least) decided to change the oil in his car, in my fathers driveway (that would be my father's brother-in-law so you know it can't be good), one day and added all 5 quarts of oil - but had not replace the drain plug.......it was an asphalt driveway.....BF-mess. :lol:
on the other hand didn't check for the filter seal stuck on the block, started the car and left a big 5" wide swash of oil as I backed down the driveway spewing oil from between the two seals. Thankfully I was backing up and saw the mess (same driveway different year) before running out of oil completely.... :oops:
Hey Chuck, I think with your "Oil Change 101" instructions I will be able to change my own oil now :p
MarkC

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
MarkC said:
Hey Chuck, I think with your "Oil Change 101" instructions I will be able to change my own oil now :p
MarkC
Dang, now you are going to have to make a trip to Harbor Freight to get
a filter wrench and other supplies.

I just know how to hate to visit Harbor Freight... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
litnin said:
MarkC said:
MarkC
Dang, now you are going to have to make a trip to Harbor Freight to get
a filter wrench and other supplies.

I just know how to hate to visit Harbor Freight... :lol: :lol:
Oh, crap :!: :!: :!: :arrow: I just got back from Harbor Freight, I wish you would have reminded me of that earlier!! Now I'll just have to stop tomorrow :) :D :lol:
MarkC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts