Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a retired professional scientist now living on the North Shore of Massachusetts, north of Boston, south of Maine. I retired three years ago. For many years, every time I have seen a motorcycle whizz by, it has reminded me of my teenage years and the fun I had on my very first motorcycle.

Somehow, when I was 16 years old, I convinced my parents to let me buy a motorcycle so I could move myself around instead of relying on them. As a parent now, I wonder why they agreed to it then! Probably something to do with a night job I had at a restaurant, and getting off work when they preferred to be sleeping. I bought a yellow Suzuki GT100 brand new, I am guessing a 1975 model. It had a torque switch on the engine so it could be run legally on the streets and on trails. I paid for the bike myself, paid it off early! I loved that bike, the freedom it brought, and the feeling of riding.

Fast forward, oh, about 4 decades. After fantasizing for years about getting a motorcycle, and pondering where I would store it, and my daughter being close enough to 18 years old, my neighbor one down and across the street rolls his 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 to the end of his driveway and puts a For Sale sign on it. Well, I can't stand it any more, so we have several long chats. In the end, I did not buy his bike--bigger and more miles than I wanted--but I did buy a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with just 7300 miles on it. I got it on 10/24 and in less than 2 months I have already put 2000 miles on it. I finally did a winterization routine on it for storage in my unheated garage just this past Tuesday, 12/16. But I am looking at the weather forecast and wondering if the streets will be dry and clean enough when we are due to have mid-40s temperatures a few days after Christmas.

I hope this wasn't too long-winded. I am glad to be back on a bike, to feel that feeling again, and I look forward to learning from all of you what you are doing with your bikes!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the new to you bike!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Welcome John, from Bob also in Mass. I see you got the Fast Purple Spirit. Nice ! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bd*, Purple was not my first choice but I do like the color. I bought the bike anyway because of its condition and I liked the low, low mileage. Bike's name is now Crystal Purple Persuasion, after the song from the 1960s, Crystal Blue Persuasion. Earlier names were The Purple Menace and The Purple Wind. Might as well have some fun with the purpleness.

Forecast for this coming Fri and Sat, highs of 45 and 47 degrees. Might be good enough for me to burn off my tank of stabilized fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
bd*, Purple was not my first choice but I do like the color. I bought the bike anyway because of its condition and I liked the low, low mileage. Bike's name is now Crystal Purple Persuasion, after the song from the 1960s, Crystal Blue Persuasion. Earlier names were The Purple Menace and The Purple Wind. Might as well have some fun with the purpleness.

Forecast for this coming Fri and Sat, highs of 45 and 47 degrees. Might be good enough for me to burn off my tank of stabilized fuel.
Go for it John, and have a Merry Christmas. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh...oh...I don't want to hear about you riding on Christmas if it hits the 40's! I just got my bike and it's not registered yet. I think I can hold off until late March...

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Good story. I've heard similar stories on this forum. Mine is quite similar.

Anyway good looking bike. Stay safe and if in doubt about riding, just ride. Life is too short to wait for spring.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Congrats on being the proud owner of such a Sweet Scoot! Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
815 Posts
bd*, Bike's name is now Crystal Purple Persuasion, after the song from the 1960s, Crystal Blue Persuasion. Earlier names were The Purple Menace and The Purple Wind. Might as well have some fun with the purpleness.
Go back 2 more years to 1958 and you have a song called Purple People Eater. Also, welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a purple Shadow 1100...I was surprised on how much positive attention I'd get with the colour! Enjoy it :)

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
Welcome!

One thing almost every Spirit 750 rider does to 'customize' their bike is to get rid of that 'lunchbox' taillight on the back. There's a guy on eBay selling something that will do that well, and you can get it with LEDs too, if you want. I suggest it. I got one from Billski, but he sold his business, and I think this guy on eBay bought it. Been on my bike for over 10 years now, and still doing well. It will certainly 'clean up' the back end of the bike.

Anyway, enjoy the bike and riding again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I noticed your bike in some of your other posts. Like mine, the tank is purple with flames, but your fender is also flames while mine is just plain purple, same for my rear fender. I really like your wheels. I bet they are a lot easier to keep clean than my spoked wheels!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've read about those Billski taillights but I did not know they were still available on eBay, so thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts