Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And so the fun begins! These are my first two projects for the new bike. I'll upload pics and updates as progress is made.

Project 1: Re-Cover the Seat
[/URL][/IMG]

Project 2: New Starter Button
[/URL][/IMG]

I've never done upholstery before... All the more reason to dive right in! I'm thinking I'll get a couple yards of Marine Vinyl and just go to town on it. Hopefully I can find a nice dark brown.
The starter button should be pretty simple. The current plan is to machine a simple rectangular button out of aluminum and anodize it red. I've been kicking around the idea of engraving something on it after its nice and anodized. I'm thinking "ROCK" will do nicely :twisted:

Until the next update.
D.Hicks

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Looks like the seat lost a fight to a roll of duct tape!:sad:;)Make sure you buy a high grade vinyl or it will crack the first year. You might also check ebay for a replacement oem seat. Good luck with the project and keep us posted

·
Registered
711 Posts
Great start!

We LOVE fixer-uppers. :lol:

Bozeman Montana. Wouldn't happen to know a Jeff Conger up there, would ya? Good friend of mine.

Keep us updated on the work. Also, check out joemama1931 on ebay. They have a lot of different seat covers already stitched up and ready to go on in a variety of colors. I used one on my seat and they work great. Price is good too. joemama1931 on eBay

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great start!

Also, check out joemama1931 on ebay.

Hope it helps!
Wow, that joemama is no joke! I was not expecting them to make a cover for the 800, but there it is! Great suggestion, I'll have to keep that in mind. jeez, even the price is great...

Also, no, I don't think I know your friend. Do you know what he does around here?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A quick update. I decided to order a seat cover from joemama on ebay. It turned out that it would have cost about the same for me to make my own and, lets face it, her's will be much better. So, I haven't had a whole lot of free time in the shop, but I managed to whittle away at some aluminum tonight for that starter button.

Here's a couple pics:eek:

I'll test for fit tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I remembered that I'm a CNC machinist, so I figured I should make the button like a big boy. Boss was nice enough to give me some time on his very expensive toys to design and run a program for the button.

Here's that.

And my seat cover arrived!

I hope I get a chance to throw that on tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Nice job there, D.Hicks! Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
38 Posts
D. how did the 88 800 become your first project? Its kind of a rare Shadow with the 800 being made just one year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looking good! I got some friends up that way too in the bitter root. Dave and Dianna Thomas they are old navy buds of mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we go! New skin on the saddle, baby. It was about time I bought an air compressor for home anyway. Picked one up from Craigslist just this morning for a pretty good price, and I found a staple gun on Amazon.

You'll notice I opted to not put the buttons back in. This is mostly due to lazyness, but I think it came out great anyway. Helluva lot better than it was!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the seat on the bike this morning, and the colors don't work as well as I'd hoped... I am, however, planning on re-painting the tank this winter. My Idea is to keep the same "scheme", but replace the red with a dark forest green. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
D. how did the 88 800 become your first project? Its kind of a rare Shadow with the 800 being made just one year.
Bison,

I had been kicking around the idea of a street bike for a while, with visions of a naked/streetfighter bike dancing in my head...but there was always this little voice whispering "cruuuuiiiisssser." As time passed, my search for the perfect street bike drudged on. A crotch rocket here, a dual sport there, perhaps a supermoto? "Crrruuuiiiser...." Months passed, I had just about given up hope. "What's this?" I said. "A Honda Shadow...and it's been for sale for a month now?" Curiosity set in, websites were checked, some research done. "Less than 5k made, huh? Might be too hard to find parts... although, it does make her something special." After losing a fair amount of sleep to a racing mind, I put a text out to the seller. "Still selling the Honda?" To which he responded, "Yes." Eloquent in its brevity. Basic questions were asked, a meeting time arranged, more sleep lost. At last, the day had come. It was love at first sight. Sure, she was missing a few teeth, had some ragged clothes on, and someone had given her a damn stripper name....ahem. Excuse me. I asked the seller to please start it up, despite the 30 degree weather. He did. It was magical. Trying my best to mask my excitement, I offered $400 less than the asking price, pointing out the condition of the seat and the "high mileage." I even quoted book value. The seller countered with $200 less than the asking price, to which I responded, "I'll keep that in mind." I then shook his hand, and walked back to my car. On my way out of the subdivision, my leg starts to vibrate. I pull out my phone. It's the seller. "So I talked to my friend, and he said he'll take $900 for it if you buy it today." I didn't buy it that day. I bought it a week later...for $900.

Some things are meant to be. When you quit fighting the little voice, you are rewarded.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I like the idea of the green, A little like a 97 Suzuki Marauder I did a little restoring on, Got it for $1500 and turned out the engine was pretty wrecked from neglect so i found a parts bike with a real good engine but needed a title search so got it cheap from a bike shop. But I LOVED the paint on that bike, It was green wih black on the sides. Guy I sold it to I kept in touch with and is still riding it. He however painted it black with a green tint in the clear coat so still has the green in there LOL Here is a pic when I was done with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bison,

I had been kicking around the idea of a street bike for a while, with visions of a naked/streetfighter bike dancing in my head...but there was always this little voice whispering "cruuuuiiiisssser." As time passed, my search for the perfect street bike drudged on. A crotch rocket here, a dual sport there, perhaps a supermoto? "Crrruuuiiiser...." Months passed, I had just about given up hope. "What's this?" I said. "A Honda Shadow...and it's been for sale for a month now?" Curiosity set in, websites were checked, some research done. "Less than 5k made, huh? Might be too hard to find parts... although, it does make her something special." After losing a fair amount of sleep to a racing mind, I put a text out to the seller. "Still selling the Honda?" To which he responded, "Yes." Eloquent in its brevity. Basic questions were asked, a meeting time arranged, more sleep lost. At last, the day had come. It was love at first sight. Sure, she was missing a few teeth, had some ragged clothes on, and someone had given her a damn stripper name....ahem. Excuse me. I asked the seller to please start it up, despite the 30 degree weather. He did. It was magical. Trying my best to mask my excitement, I offered $400 less than the asking price, pointing out the condition of the seat and the "high mileage." I even quoted book value. The seller countered with $200 less than the asking price, to which I responded, "I'll keep that in mind." I then shook his hand, and walked back to my car. On my way out of the subdivision, my leg starts to vibrate. I pull out my phone. It's the seller. "So I talked to my friend, and he said he'll take $900 for it if you buy it today." I didn't buy it that day. I bought it a week later...for $900.

Some things are meant to be. When you quit fighting the little voice, you are rewarded.
Very cool story, D.. I wish I could have haggled that tough when I was younger. That seems to be a really good price for a fixer-upper 1988.

Like you, I like styling of the early/mid 80's Shadow's, primarily due to the narrower tank. The later models are too wide in my opinion.

Are you a Bobcat fan?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like you, I like styling of the early/mid 80's Shadow's, primarily due to the narrower tank. The later models are too wide in my opinion.

Are you a Bobcat fan?

You nailed it, man. I can remember the first time I sat on a Star cruiser when I was about 15 years old and thinking the tank, the whole bike really, was too wide. It's actually what turned me off of Asian bikes for the longest time. A couple years ago I was looking at Harleys, and gravitated more towards bikes like the "Blackline" and "Softail Slim" because of the narrow style.

As for the Bobcats...I suppose it would be wrong for the owner of a CatCard to not like the Bobcats! :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well done video. When you first faded away, I thought, crap, I wanted to hear it run. Then when you came back, I thought that thing is loud. Then I figured out why.:D

What's next?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts