Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with just a little background. I'm a newbie. Never rode on the street before yesterday. Took the MSF course last year, but never really had an opportunity to ride other than tooling around a parking lot on a sabre last fall. Picked up a "free" 82 450 Nighthawk back in December and put lots of work into her over the winter. </background>

:arrow: Fast forward to this spring.... I finally got the t-tag on Thursday, but didn't have time to ride before it started raining. Rained Friday and Saturday, too. (Being a new rider, I wasn't going to chance my first ride in the rain, even though my MSF class was done in the rain.) So, when the sun came out on Sunday, there was nothing going to keep me from going out after church. I did my pre-ride inspection, checked air pressure, lights, etc, then I geared up and cranked the old girl over.

The ride started with a quick 2-mile run down to a local credit union's parking lot for some practice. Did a bunch of panic stops and emergency swerves just to get the feel of the bike. Also did some low-speed maneuvering practice. After a half hour or so of this, I decided I was confident enough to take a bit of a ride. Keeping my inexperience in mind, I decided to stick to the back roads where speeds are low and traffic is nearly non-existent. I practiced up- and down-shifting, finding my line through the curves, using my turn signals (and remembering to turn them off), kept an eye on my mirrors. I did have one guy pull right up on me and wouldn't back off, but luckily there was a small school parking lot I could pull into and let him pass. Other than that, I had a pretty un-eventful and ear-to-ear smiling ride. :D

Now for the personal criticism. I did make one cardinal sin: Forgot to strap on my helmet. :oops: But I realized this mistake when I got down to the first parking lot, and corrected my error. I recognized a few little problems with my technique during the practice session, and was able to correct those as well. I know that I still need a little work on my "squeezing the brake" technique. But it's not that bad, and I recognize the problem, so I ride with that in mind. Other than that, there were no real glaring mistakes during my ride. (At least none that I recognized.) I hope to get out riding with some of my more experienced friends soon, so they can point out things that I may have missed.

Boy it feels great to finally be on the road!

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
WOOT! excellent news.

Remember, it takes roughly one second to begin applying brakes, begin rolling off the throttle, and begin transferring weight to the front wheel. After the bike beings nosing down, you can progressively squeeze that brake nearly as hard as you want. It will almost never lock of you're smooth and progressive, vs. just tugging or yanking it full in.

sounds like you're off to a great start.

Good, we hit the tail of the dragon this weekend. you're leading.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Sounds good Charlie. Now, every week you add something to your ride, such as, a trip down the interstate, or a run into city traffic. I predict a ride to the Conawingo damn in your future. We will have to qualify you on all the best breakfast meet up spots too. OOPS, I shouldn't have said I like to go to breakfast, now everyone will think me a poser. :oops:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
No, No NO! Breakfast is, after all, the most important meal of the day. It's the sitting at BARS that define you as a poser.

You're not even a poser's poser if you don't know that.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Does sitting behind bars make you a poser too?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
No. That makes you "hard core". Kinda hard to rack up the miles that way, tho'. On the upside, you never have to stress the wheel bearings on your bike trailer. So that's a good thing.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
How about highjacking your friends thread, does that make you a poser?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Oh wait... I know the answer to that one...

"harleys ain't nuthin' but 1930s tech. i got twice the bike at half the money. skinny tires can't stop. i had to lay 'er down"

How's that?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Where did you take the MSF Course at? I took it late last year at Harford County Community College and it was raining. I noticed you are from NE MD so I figured I would ask. 8)

·
Registered
710 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh it only gets better w/ each ride.
and the grin one gets bigger. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VLXRookie said:
Where did you take the MSF Course at? I took it late last year at Harford County Community College and it was raining. I noticed you are from NE MD so I figured I would ask. 8)
From Milwaukee? And you took the course in Harford Co? On vacation or something?

Actually, I took my course at Cecil Community College in April. Unfortunately, in Maryland you pretty much have to take the course at a local CC. The state only offers the course at 2 locations. Both were too far away. And the only way to get into one of those classes is to put your name in a virtual hat and then they pick at random who gets to take the course. So I elected to just pay the extra $124 and take the course locally. Would have cost more than that in gas to go to Baltimore for 3 days. And after taking the course, I'm really glad I didn't have to do all that extra driving on top of the course itself. Hot and rainy kinda wears you out no matter what you are doing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
+1, who hasn't?
That's one of the funny little quirks you pick up after years of riding... I never put my lid on my head without strapping it. Too easy to feel it up there and forget the strap. :wink:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know I'm not the only one. :lol:

I guess everyone forgets something once in a while.

Lesson learned. Thankfully not the hard way.

I pray that I never will "need" my helmet, but that doesn't mean I will ever ride without one. :)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
cmhdiamond said:
I pray that I never will "need" my helmet, but that doesn't mean I will ever ride without one. :)
This is the kind of fanaticism that develops when you hang around with chornbe. :lol:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
... Like your mom.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
She was never swayed by you. She wore a helmet to keep her hair curlers in place. :evil:

·
Registered
507 Posts
In 5+ years of riding, I dont think I've ever once forgotten to strap my helmet. Maybe because I wear a full face and it would be very evident if I was motoring down the road and the straps were slapping my chin. Not to say I am perfect, because I am not. This is just something I ALWAYS do before I set out. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
07VT750C2 said:
In 5+ years of riding, I dont think I've ever once forgotten to strap my helmet. Maybe because I wear a full face and it would be very evident if I was motoring down the road and the straps were slapping my chin. Not to say I am perfect, because I am not. This is just something I ALWAYS do before I set out. :lol:
My helmet is a full-face HJC, and I was doing about 40 and didn't notice the strap flapping on my chin. Maybe I was just concentrating on my riding so much that I didn't notice it. :)

Anyway, it's something I won't forget again, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.