Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys,
As I was driving on a nice Flat San Francisco street about 35 MPH I see that far ahead a water truck is pulling out from the curve. I felt the driver had not seen me, so I break with my rear and front wheels. Apparently the middle of the lane was really slippery because as soon as I decelerate, I lost control of the Bike and went down shoulder first. Good things i was wearing my gear. It made the whole difference. My shoulder is a bit sore, and i scraped my knee since i was wearing jeans. Boot got caught under the bike but was able to keep my foot straight so no sprain or break.

Bike didn't even scratch cause i was able to reduce speed before the fall and it went down on the footrests

As everybody knows: Always wear your gear.

It is my first wipeout ever and I'm still a little shaken. My first thought as i got up was: "I'm selling My bike"
How do you guys deal with wipeouts? We all know motorcycling has its risks but Talking things out always helps too

I

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Get up.
Get back on.
Ride.

There are two types of riders... those who fall, those who are going to fall.

Period. Hard truth.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yep, go riding now, take it easy, someplace where there is not much traffic and stay out of the middle of the lanes, thats where the cages drip their oil. Anticipating is a big part of safe motorcycling.
Tim

·
Registered
943 Posts
just dropped my new bike last friday.....saturday, I hooked up with some really cool people from the forum, and went for a long ride, up and down a mountain.

you just have to get back on the preverbial horse and ride again, besides, now my bike has a scratch, I am much more relaxed with it

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I haven't had an accident, but I have dropped my bike twice and had a couple of close calls in my short riding time and it all makes me question if I should be riding. I use it to help me to be a better rider. This forum and my experience has taught me to always expect the unexpected.

Ride on!!

Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Learn from it.

I fell once by hitting too hard on the front brake and dropping the bike. I squeeze the brake all the time now... and do not grab it even while panicked.

There is usually at least one thing that you could have done different in the scenario to keep the bike up. A crash very rarely results from a single variable... and arguably it never happens. Think about the situation, and what you might have been able to do differently to avoid the fall.

Then learn from the experience.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Get back on the horse that threw you.

But be more careful next time. And be damn sure to wear your gear. Gear and bikes can be replaced easily...waiting for your body to heal while your bike sits in the garage completely repaired sucks big time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Get back on the horse that threw you.

But be more careful next time. And be damn sure to wear your gear. Gear and bikes can be replaced easily...waiting for your body to heal while your bike sits in the garage completely repaired sucks big time.
chornbe said:
Get up.
Get back on.
Ride.

There are two types of riders... those who fall, those who are going to fall.

Period. Hard truth.

Ditto to both to you.........

·
Registered
286 Posts
As others have recommended, back in the saddle and git!

Slower and easier, of course, till you build the confidence back up.

Having spent numerous cruising hours there, I recommend the Crissy Field area. The road out to Fort Point and other roads in that zone are usually pretty quiet (once you get off or across Lombard!) and easy to ride. It can also lead you up into the Presidio, which is also quite easy to ride and with the Fed Marshalls giving tickets for 1 mph over the speed limit, most all folks going through there keep it slow and easy.
Good practice areas, too; near the old main hall in the mostly flat area of the Presidio, near the East (?) gate entrance. Huge parking lot that I've never seen more than 10 cars parked in!
You can even get a 'Presidio map' from the visitor's center that gives you how and where to go inside 'the fences'!

Keep it on the 'have fun' side, and you'll be back to your confidence level in a pretty short span.

·
Registered
799 Posts
like everyone has said .........if you live , hopefully you learn......... I know I have learned something ....the accident I had some one in a cage never saw me.....RIDE LIKE YOUR INVISIBLE....until it happens you think you know it but now I REALLY know it..... that was 2 years ago and I got my bike fixed and got back on, this past august I had a spill while on vacation at the Rally in Va. very low rate of speed , taking a turn bikes in front of me bikes in back of me, I hit the slick part of the road rear tire went out under me, the rider behind said there was nothing I did that could have caused it , didnt hit the brake the only varible was the wet road and the slick on it ..... I think I was more nervous about getting back on the horse after that one because of the cause was something completely out of my control......but after my hand healed I was back on .......why because riding for me is like breathing I have to do it to feel like im me .......... only you can answer whether you want or can ride again but if you are like most of here you will get back on ....... ride safe :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I got hit by a drunk driver on dec 22nd 06. I broke my leg and mt bike was damaged to the tune of 3k. As soon as i was in a flexable cast and had my bike back, i went for a long ride. It was nerve racking but the trick it needed to be confident agina.

back in the saddle and learn from what happened if you can.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Blizzardale said:
How do you guys deal with wipeouts? We all know motorcycling has its risks but Talking things out always helps too

I
Blizzardale, it has never even remotely occurred to me not to ride after any of the accidents I have had.
Once I was thrown over the handle bars, I was pretty upset about my jacket being torn up, but I picked up my bike and rode home.
Once I was knocked out and bit a hole through my lip when my face broke the windshield off my Goldwing.
A stranger helped me pick up my bike so I could ride it home. He was more freaked out than I was.
Once my wife and I went down on my Goldwing, (slid in some oil while making a left hand turn) The bike stood itself up after it ran out of oily pavement. The wife asked me what should she do if it ever happened again, I told her, "do exactly what you did this time". We continued on our ride. (BTW, She just bought a new leather jacket today)
However one time I broke both the radius and ulna after a fall, that one, I left the bike and was rushed to the hospital. Arm was in a cast for 13 months. I am still riding, my arm is bolted together. Poo-poo happens.
However, if any of these would have occurred while I was mowing the lawn, well, I would never mow the lawn again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Get back on as soon as possible.Situational awareness is your friend,always ride WITH him.Its hard to see everything,so practice is the Key to survival skills, Emergency braking,swerving,but NEVER at the same time. Hopefully its only a short time till your,Enjoying the ride again.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
After the fifth or sixth time, you just get up, dust yourself off, straighten out the mirrors and head on down the road. Life's too short to sweat the details.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
628 Posts
ashadowrider wrote:
if any of these would have occurred while I was mowing the lawn, well, I would never mow the lawn again.
Right on, Brother! I got an errant blade of grass in my eyeball about two years ago, and it really, really stung. Ever since that day, the thought of pulling on that starter rope makes me.....want to go ride instead!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I'm starting to figure out it was more the scare than the actual accident. I actually just went downstairs to check on the bike for damage, and started thinking more on the side that i should be grateful that nothing went on and that i had actually reacted well enough to the accident itself. Like using my padded shoulder for the fall and so on. I looked at the bike, smiled, and told her "See you in the morning."

And like many of you said, you learn from the situation. I know a bunch of things i didn't before the accident :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
sanoke said:
After the fifth or sixth time, you just get up, dust yourself off, straighten out the mirrors and head on down the road. Life's too short to sweat the details.

Happy Trails!

sanoke
I like that! That sounds like what I've done in the past..I feel very blessed that all my spills have happened at VERY low speeds, and the worst injury I ever had was a sore ankle from the rear foot peg clipping it as I tried to catch the bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I have taken the safety class. It was very helpful even in this situation. I feel that if i had not been looking out for the truck something worse could have happened.
Always looking ahed for obstacles and possible dangers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts