Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking at a 2012 Shadow Spirit and it seems that’s the first year with the fuel injection. Are the early ones problematic or fairly reliable?
Other than the stator plug, what model specific issues can I look at before I buy it?
I’ve been riding for years, but this will be the first Honda I’ve looked at, the wife wants it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
IIRC The fuel injected 750 Shadows showed up in 2006 in Europe with their more stringent emission requirements and showed up in the USA first for the 2010 model year, so by 2012 they were well sorted. The 750 Spirit, Aero and Phantom are for all intents and purposes the same engine and all are lightly stressed and with regular maintenance, especially oil and filter, will haul you or the wife well over 100,000 miles.
As with all bikes they prefer to be ridden rather than parked for long periods.

The stator plug thing seems common to most Japanese bikes with this charging setup.
My 1999 ACE still has the original plug, but most don't. I follow one of the previous owners leads and keep dielectric grease on the connectors and make sure it is tight and the connection stays white, so far..........

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
Or you can hardwire it and be done with it like most do. Like CSRoad said, its a flaw on metric bikes that run stator charging system. As for the FI, haven't had any issues that I'm aware of other than folk coming here for advice on exhaust change but most here are carbed bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I’m looking forward to having another bike to maintain (I’m one of those nuts that thoroughly enjoys working on them).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts