Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the thread here about what to pack with you on a bike for a week long trip, I saw mentioned several times about carrying a flat tire repair kit. Now I know it matters if I have a tubed or tubeless tire. I have tubed tires. What kind of kit works well in an emergency situation. I've read of people using slime but them I've also read to NEVER use slime.
So.....is there something that works well that I could carry in my saddle bag and get me back on the road in case I'm stranded with a flat tire?

· Registered
11,728 Posts
After reading the thread here about what to pack with you on a bike for a week long trip, I saw mentioned several times about carrying a flat tire repair kit. Now I know it matters if I have a tubed or tubeless tire. I have tubed tires. What kind of kit works well in an emergency situation. I've read of people using slime but them I've also read to NEVER use slime.
So.....is there something that works well that I could carry in my saddle bag and get me back on the road in case I'm stranded with a flat tire?
The only way you get a tubed tire going again is to pull the tube and either patch or replace it, and that involves having a way to get the tire and wheel off the bike. I suggest you get motorcycle two insurance. If you join AMA(American Motorcycle Association) you get free tow insurance for all the vehicles in your household.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
I have tubed tires. What kind of kit works well in an emergency situation.
Cell phone and credit card work best. Road service plan (through AMA or maybe your insurer) might as well; not so great for me the one time I needed it. (Hint: Do not ever tell them you feel safe at the side of the road -- gets you to the bottom of the list pretty quickly.)

· Registered
5,978 Posts
I agree with most of the suggestion's, have a good road side service to call and come and get ya, then get ya to a dealer/motorcycle shop and have the repairs made. Takes a little longer and may throw the trip of schedule a little but it surely is the best.........in my opinion...........I have had to do this a couple of times and was so happy..........

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I patched a tube once. Just the heat from riding melted the rubber cement. Its not possible to fix. Now that i have tubeless rims i carry a plug kit in case.

Switch to tubeless tires and get this kit. It works amazingly.

youtu.be/3NfuBFNaA1U
Actually, someone posted this here, took a few to find it on eBay. Much easier and better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAPLUG-UL...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d70c3552&vxp=mtr

And i hope that guy wasnt anyone on here, man was he NOT mechanically apt...

· Premium Member
11,278 Posts
back when bilski still was owned by Bill, he told me to use fix a flat and ride straight to a bike shop, carefully. The stuff is 99% likely to stay in the tube and not be an issue on cleaning it from the rim. Just passing along the info. No experience doing it.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,840 Posts
back when bilski still was owned by Bill, he told me to use fix a flat and ride straight to a bike shop, carefully. The stuff is 99% likely to stay in the tube and not be an issue on cleaning it from the rim. Just passing along the info. No experience doing it.
I tried that and fixaflat just leaked out the rim and made a big mess so cost extra to clean. Riding I got about 1/8th mile. Flats are rare so I just carry a credit card and cell phone.

G.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,910 Posts
I see a bunch of Nay sayers?

From the Deals Gap Run thread...

LIKE Button

X

Deals Gap is exactly as I had pictured in my mind, from their ads and information site... Even the people were the same faces!

I enjoy this place and hope to find more like it in the area, as "I`ll be Back!"...
I know there are other businesses that cater to us "bikers", in the area, I saw quite a few...
Any body here got links to these establishments???
Our trip went well, we were expecting storms throughout our stay, and we found them!!! OR they found us...
On the way to Deals Gap on "MoonShiner 28" we encountered a thirty minute wait for the storm to pass situation and the road was wet from there to the resort...
We donned our raingear and enjoyed the "freshly washed road" to the hotel, Probably thirty minutes ride?...
Arriving before dark, we unloaded the Bikes cargo and took in the resort, finding what all was available and relaxing from the trip to our destination...
We rode the "Tail of the Dragon" one time before dark set in...
There sure is a bunch of folks who like this road!!!
Every type motorcycle, car, van and truck traveled it this weekend...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not being familiar to the terrain I let my bike topple over on the dragon...
I stopped to get a picture of the fellas coming around a curve, I stopped on the "pull over", dropped the kickstand, got off the left side, turned around, turned on the camera to await them coming...
As they approached, ChickenMan watched my bike fall to the ground just as I was taking the picture...
No major damage! BUT, it bent the mirror post...
I hung my mirror on the "Tree of Shame", snapped a shot and fastened it back on the bike in its` distorted shape... I told folks nearby "I`m hanging this on the "Tree of Stupidity" for my boneheaded move...
I was able to use the mirror but it sat lower than before...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yessiree!
I love this area, and always want to return when I leave it...
Sunday morning we "packed the mules" with our gear, I loaded up and asked "anybody seen my gloves?"...
I set out on a glove hunt, whilst everybody else was packing...
I noticed my bike was hard to turn ~ Low tire!!!!
I got it filled up and set out on the demanded search for the turn that my bike had fallen over on, Never did find it though???
So when I returned I reported the photographers were on the trail set up, and we headed out for the Devils Triangle Run...
We missed our turn and ended up 40 miles outta the way with storms...
Later on we made it back to the "triange" and made this run, on wet roads...
At least they were Clean roads after the "gully washer" storms...
Then we headed for Cherohalla Run, and spent the night in Madisonville and got an early start...
I tried to hook up with Hypostang along this trip to the triangle and Cherohalla but...
At least we did get a call in to each other...
I`m the one with "bad luck" on this journey...
I had stopped at the top the mountain on this runs highest point to get a picture...
I left the bike in neutral with the engine running, only to pick it up off the ground AGAIN!!!
This time it took out the other mirror, breaking the lever bracket/mirror mount...
No effect on the clutch lever, but minus the left mirror now...
I still ain`t told the fellas about this second fall... :grin:
I do believe this Cherohalla Run is more what Big Dog was expecting from our journey ~ he wasn`t whining any more about being tired and ready for straight roads...
When we finished the Cherohalla Run, we headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway Run, AND Diamondback Run...
We made it to just (past 10 miles) outside of Ashville, where we discovered the parkway closed ahead, SO we spent the night in Black Mountain Monday night with another thunderstorm...
Then we "Booked it" home on Interstates Tuesday...
I do the TCLOCS on my bike each day before we set out...
I put the one good mirror on the one good mount, checked lights, tires, horn etc...
Running along at 80MPH on I-85 toward Atlanta, we were making good time...
UNTIL Exit 149 I felt the vibrating front tire, it was low on pressure...
I made it to the T-A Truckstop and got some air in it after a bit of Gods` handywork with helpful mechanics and sales lady...
With a slow leak we set out to get a bite to eat a few exits down...
The guys didn`t notice I was AWOL until they got down a couple of exits, A truckdriver who saw me pull off pulled over and told them of my delima... (we had been running side by side for a while with this trucker)
After lunch I asked an appliance repairman, who had pulled in to eat, where the nearest tire store was, he gave good directions to two close by...
HOWEVER, I didn`t need to go any further with that leaking tire...
He had a compressor in the van and when I pulled up to get air, he brought out a bottle of GREEN SLIME Tire stop leak...
He made the comment, "if you get down the road and your falls off, I didn`t do this"...
I told him, "true, I did it"...
The slime is still holding up today...

1370 miles logged on our weekend adventure to Deals Gap...

I`m ready to head back,
D

Last edited by "Captain D"; 07-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Yup, I use this stuff ;)

· Registered
11,728 Posts
From the Deals Gap Run thread...

LIKE Button

X

Deals Gap is exactly as I had pictured in my mind, from their ads and information site... Even the people were the same faces!

I enjoy this place and hope to find more like it in the area, as "I`ll be Back!"...
I know there are other businesses that cater to us "bikers", in the area, I saw quite a few...
Any body here got links to these establishments???
Our trip went well, we were expecting storms throughout our stay, and we found them!!! OR they found us...
On the way to Deals Gap on "MoonShiner 28" we encountered a thirty minute wait for the storm to pass situation and the road was wet from there to the resort...
We donned our raingear and enjoyed the "freshly washed road" to the hotel, Probably thirty minutes ride?...
Arriving before dark, we unloaded the Bikes cargo and took in the resort, finding what all was available and relaxing from the trip to our destination...
We rode the "Tail of the Dragon" one time before dark set in...
There sure is a bunch of folks who like this road!!!
Every type motorcycle, car, van and truck traveled it this weekend...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not being familiar to the terrain I let my bike topple over on the dragon...
I stopped to get a picture of the fellas coming around a curve, I stopped on the "pull over", dropped the kickstand, got off the left side, turned around, turned on the camera to await them coming...
As they approached, ChickenMan watched my bike fall to the ground just as I was taking the picture...
No major damage! BUT, it bent the mirror post...
I hung my mirror on the "Tree of Shame", snapped a shot and fastened it back on the bike in its` distorted shape... I told folks nearby "I`m hanging this on the "Tree of Stupidity" for my boneheaded move...
I was able to use the mirror but it sat lower than before...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yessiree!
I love this area, and always want to return when I leave it...
Sunday morning we "packed the mules" with our gear, I loaded up and asked "anybody seen my gloves?"...
I set out on a glove hunt, whilst everybody else was packing...
I noticed my bike was hard to turn ~ Low tire!!!!
I got it filled up and set out on the demanded search for the turn that my bike had fallen over on, Never did find it though???
So when I returned I reported the photographers were on the trail set up, and we headed out for the Devils Triangle Run...
We missed our turn and ended up 40 miles outta the way with storms...
Later on we made it back to the "triange" and made this run, on wet roads...
At least they were Clean roads after the "gully washer" storms...
Then we headed for Cherohalla Run, and spent the night in Madisonville and got an early start...
I tried to hook up with Hypostang along this trip to the triangle and Cherohalla but...
At least we did get a call in to each other...
I`m the one with "bad luck" on this journey...
I had stopped at the top the mountain on this runs highest point to get a picture...
I left the bike in neutral with the engine running, only to pick it up off the ground AGAIN!!!
This time it took out the other mirror, breaking the lever bracket/mirror mount...
No effect on the clutch lever, but minus the left mirror now...
I still ain`t told the fellas about this second fall... :grin:
I do believe this Cherohalla Run is more what Big Dog was expecting from our journey ~ he wasn`t whining any more about being tired and ready for straight roads...
When we finished the Cherohalla Run, we headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway Run, AND Diamondback Run...
We made it to just (past 10 miles) outside of Ashville, where we discovered the parkway closed ahead, SO we spent the night in Black Mountain Monday night with another thunderstorm...
Then we "Booked it" home on Interstates Tuesday...
I do the TCLOCS on my bike each day before we set out...
I put the one good mirror on the one good mount, checked lights, tires, horn etc...
Running along at 80MPH on I-85 toward Atlanta, we were making good time...
UNTIL Exit 149 I felt the vibrating front tire, it was low on pressure...
I made it to the T-A Truckstop and got some air in it after a bit of Gods` handywork with helpful mechanics and sales lady...
With a slow leak we set out to get a bite to eat a few exits down...
The guys didn`t notice I was AWOL until they got down a couple of exits, A truckdriver who saw me pull off pulled over and told them of my delima... (we had been running side by side for a while with this trucker)
After lunch I asked an appliance repairman, who had pulled in to eat, where the nearest tire store was, he gave good directions to two close by...
He had a compressor in the van and when I pulled up to get air, he brought out a bottle of GREEN SLIME Tire stop leak...
He made the comment, "if you get down the road and your falls off, I didn`t do this"...

1370 miles logged on our weekend adventure to Deals Gap...

I`m ready to head back,
D

Last edited by "Captain D"; 07-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Yup, I use this stuff ;)
You just got lucky. A lot of times the tube will tear at the puncture from what ever punctured it. Slime isn't going to seal a leak from a tear very well and most likely will continue to leak.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,910 Posts
I don`t consider Luck figured into His plan...
But That`s just my way of thinking...

Prayer WORKS!

I still Believe that Spring IS Coming :D

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
...After lunch I asked an appliance repairman, who had pulled in to eat, where the nearest tire store was, he gave good directions to two close by...
For tubed tires? Yup! .. When I looked into it, I only came across one product out there which was specifically aimed at tubed motorcycle tires.. It was a Slime Product.. You have to remove the valve stem core, ooze a pint or whatever of slime in the tire, pump it up, ride on it, stop, pump it up a little-more - then off you go to get a permanent fix..

When I came across it, I called Slime to see how effective this product was, but the lady I spoke to didn't seem to want to be boxed into saying it's a great fix, just something which might be able to get you down the road, far enough, to where you could get your tire properly fixed.

That seemed to be the aim behind the idea of the product anyway..

There's always going to be a lot of concern with liability when it comes to motorcycle tire fixes though, so there may be other fixes that can be found which aren't exactly 100% Kosher, but will at least get you down the road a-ways at slower than Andretti speeds..

· Registered
1,831 Posts
My VLX has tubes, so I carry the slime product, but I don't regard it as a sure-fire fix, rather as a "What the hell, I'm stuck here so I'll give it a go and cross my fingers" fix.

Credit card and phone on hand (and usually my SPOT device too, in case there's no reception.)

My previous scooter had tubeless tires, so I still have a Stop and Go tire plugger kit in the shed. I carry the CO2 cartridges from the kit in my saddlebag. My next bike will definitely have tubeless tires, though.

Random advice: I decided not to worry about flats. If they happen, then they happen. Worrying about it won't change that fact and it's just one more thing to take my mind off the ride. I've had two flats over the last ten years. One of the was entirely preventable...my own fault.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,910 Posts
Dang!!

We are discussing using it in tubed tires and your article does not mention that.

G.

Question asked > So.....is there something that works well that I could carry in my saddle bag and get me back on the road in case I'm stranded with a flat tire?<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dagnabit, is this "get down on Dennis day", or what?

Slime works, it don`t matter which > tubes or tubeless...
My 98 ACE has tubes inside the tires on spoke rims, I thought everybody knew that..;)

I`ll quit commenting, and just read... :roll:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.