Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here comes a strange question, maybe un-practical un-useful... but here comes my logic.

I had checked and set the float levels as shown in the service manual, and as I still had some hesitation at low speed while accelerating I want to check this again in a different way.

I wanted to plugg a rubber tube into one carb drain hole and unscrewed the fuel drain bolt so I can fill a measured syringe (or bottle)... then again with the other carb.

This way I will know if each level are the same in mL... ok, then... the question, how much mL should be on each carb? :oops:

Sorry if this is way too dumb to test, but here I am :geek:

Thanks,

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
I have never heard of a factory spec on the fuel quantity, only float level.
Here is an easier way with sight tubes.=

Reactions: Kenstone and Husoi

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Swifty!, will try that, really clear video to follow. I will do the same but with the carb installed, I should have done this last time I take the carb out (dont want to take it out again for some time, I hope it measure ok)... will post back later.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
I don't like some things about the video.
Most of the Shadow carbs have a fuel line connection nub on the bottom of the float bowl and the drainage screw is a valve to control flow.
The clear hose method should work fine using this nub and the valve.
Make sure you petcock is on as otherwise the fuel that flows into the tube will affect you a false reading.

The actual fuel level on these carbs should be taken with the carb on a more or less a 45 degree angle so the float tang is just touching the needle without pressing in the spring loaded pin.
This is because the float on the VD series Keihin carbs is a lot heavier than the one in the video.

What I do like in the video is that he uses a caliper to set the level rather than the "must have" float gauge.
Why? Because that's what I do. (-:

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,221 Posts
What I do like in the video is that he uses a caliper to set the level rather than the "must have" float gauge.
Why? Because that's what I do. (-:
Thats because our eyes aren't young as used to be but I use calipers a lot this way.
On a note to all who read (can :p ) this Harbor Freight sell digital calipers for $10 on sale. A very good tool to have as you can measure OD,ID,depth, and as a scale.

6 in. Digital Caliper with SAE and Metric Fractional Readings

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
I started out with a vernier caliper, then I went to a dial caliper, then I went to the easy too read digital, saves me from breaking out the reading glasses or measuring with a magnifying glass in one hand.
No old person giant digit cell phone...........yet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just use a ruler. Well, you could just fill the bottom part of the bowl up, measure it, and then err a wee bit higher. That should be how much fuel is ideally in the bowls during operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts