Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago my local Honda shop replaced the carburetor slides. Ever since, it has had a hard time starting and getting worse. Seems it is flooding at start up. Lots of gas in the cylinders. Any idea of what may be going on? Not too thrilled with the local Honda shop. Thanx.

·
Registered
200 Posts
my friends bike did the same thing after we cleaned and rebuilt his carbs (1988 yamaha radian 600). perhaps its the mixture is too rich, maybe try playing with the adjusting screws on the carb?

when my friend bought the bike it wasnt really running. the guy said it needed carb work. after taking it apart and cleaning, we noticed 2 of the jets and the choke were compeltely gunked up. when we put everything back on it would start hard and flood after a couple starts. we noticed the guy drilled out the screws and increased the mixture in each carb (probably to compensate for the gunk). A few beers and adjustments later, she was running fairly well (just needed to sync the carbs after we did that).

just my $0.02, these other guys know a lot more.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Another possibility is that the the float needles aren't seating properly and allowing too much fuel in. Google it and you can find article, images and videos to show you how to check it. All carbs with floats work pretty much the same way, so if you can't find something for your specific bike, the same principles will apply. Keep us posted!
Good luck,
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts