Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It sort of depends on what you mean by "make a difference".

With pegs, your feet are locked into one position while on the pegs. With floor boards, you can actually move them around a bit. Also, when not shifting or braking or getting ready to, your feet are typically sitting flat. Many people like those qualities.

I kind of miss pegs because I did like having my feet ready to shift or brake by just basically changing their angle instead of moving my whole foot.

·
Registered
467 Posts
one of my buddies swore by floor boards until he got some of the kuryakyn swing pegs.

Me? after i started dragging my pegs/heel of my boot im a peg man for life lol but really i like the feeling of being able to angle my feet depending on what im doing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having floorboards, you can move your feetaround a bit...now when sitting on my sons bike with pegs, I feel uncomfortable...so floorboards for me. You will get use to shifting and breaking with ease.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if floorboards can help with a pain I am experiencing in my hips while/ after riding.

• Currently it feels like my hips are having to support a little more weight than usual as they are stretched out a little to the pegs on my vt750c. If my legs were closer to a 90° angle, I think it would be better.
    Would the downward force and secure footing of boards reduce pressure on my hip joints?
  • Alternatively, how easy is it to change/ adjust the location of the foot controls (in order to create the '90° angle' I'm looking for with stock parts)?
  • Finally, how much of a PITA are they when cornering?
I'm about 174cm/ 5'7" medium build if that's any help.
I'm just trying to find the most comfortable angles.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Loved them on the 06' 1100 Spirit and have them on the 1600 Vulcan now. I Used Kuryakyn Premiums on the Spirit.

Kuryakyn Floorboards

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had floorboards on my C90 and Guzzi Cal 3. Both had heel/toe shifters which are much better with floorboards than just a toe shifter. I never used my toe to shift up or down, always my heel.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I have boards on my 1100 spirit and love them! On of the first upgrades on my Wing was boards! I'll never be without them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I put boards on about 20 years ago and then 2 years ago had a small crash and broke one board so the pegs went on again. That board may have reduced the damage done to me and the bike but a peg might have also. From the grinding on the board it kept the bike from spinning or changing lanes on its side, but again maybe just chance.

I have not put the repaired boards back on yet so obviously either are work well and I have no preference as to function.

As far as pain I have no experience but I don't think boards will support you any better than pegs as they don't really support anything. My guess is your foot is just resting there. Otherwise if you lifted a foot off the board there would be a change in steering (weight change). The one thing boards do is to allow you a slight variety in foot position. On the negative they are slightly in the way when stopping. As far as cornering I have not noticed any difference considering the horizontal length of the board is somewhat similar to pegs (and both are hinged). I think if I was touching pegs/boards then I am on the wrong bike.

G.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if floorboards can help with a pain I am experiencing in my hips while/ after riding.

• Currently it feels like my hips are having to support a little more weight than usual as they are stretched out a little to the pegs on my vt750c. If my legs were closer to a 90° angle, I think it would be better.
    Would the downward force and secure footing of boards reduce pressure on my hip joints?
  • Alternatively, how easy is it to change/ adjust the location of the foot controls (in order to create the '90° angle' I'm looking for with stock parts)?
  • Finally, how much of a PITA are they when cornering?
I'm about 174cm/ 5'7" medium build if that's any help.
I'm just trying to find the most comfortable angles.

Thanks for any help in advance :)
My brother had an Intruder that would do that to me. After riding for a while, it was like my hip would lock up. I'd have to get off of the bike and get it moving again.

I always figured that it was because the pegs were so far back, and up. I figured it cramped me up and I didn't like it! That was the only bike to do that to me. And, it had pegs. If I could move my foot around a little, like on a footboard, maybe it wouldn't have done that. but I don't know. All my bikes have boards. I like em.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My brother had an Intruder that would do that to me. After riding for a while, it was like my hip would lock up. I'd have to get off of the bike and get it moving again.

I always figured that it was because the pegs were so far back, and up. I figured it cramped me up and I didn't like it! That was the only bike to do that to me. And, it had pegs. If I could move my foot around a little, like on a footboard, maybe it wouldn't have done that. but I don't know. All my bikes have boards. I like em.
Thanks for the input. I'll consider some boards, just need to find some that aren't too large and that fold up, which is a legal requirement round these parts and safer than those that don't IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have boards on my 1100 spirit and love them! On of the first upgrades on my Wing was boards! I'll never be without them.

Blue Flames, it looks like you have a crash bar as well. I've got Cobra floorboards and want a crash bar but the designs I've seen make it look like clearance will be an issue. What combinations are you using? Thanks, Rick 2004 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
My boards and crash bar are Cobra. The bar is different on each side at the bottom but no clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll consider some boards, just need to find some that aren't too large and that fold up, which is a legal requirement round these parts and safer than those that don't IMO.
I didn't know some States require them to be foldable, Where do you live? I have Cobra Classics on my Spirit 1100 and they don't fold.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I wouldn't say my boards fold but they are on a spring hinge and will swing up a little when I scrape in a corner. They don't fold all the way up.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I wouldn't say my boards fold but they are on a spring hinge and will swing up a little when I scrape in a corner. They don't fold all the way up.

That's the way mine are too. They move maybe a 1/2" up then stop. I've never scraped them going through a curve, too cautious.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts