Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to maybe add floor boards to my bike (Shadow Ace VT750). I am a bigger guy, 6"4" so I probably need fairly large boards. Any suggestions?

And why are they so expensive in relation to other accessories? They seem like fairly simple components, but most are almost $200!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Like you, Ive been reasearching the floorboards but geez! They are a bit high in$$$. Im looking at the Kury ISO wings mini floorboards. Much cheaper than regular sized ones and I think for me, they would give me what Im looking for. Ive got the cruise pegs, Which I love for stretching out. But, It depends on how much you really want or need the exttra footroom the full boards would give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Floorboards are expensive, that I'll grant you. But they're also pretty sturdy things -- they have to be so support the full weight of the rider when they stand up.

I bought Cobra floorboards for my 1100 Spirit. Like you, I questioned the price and thought I was getting robbed.

But here's the thing -- it was by far the best $300 spent on my bike so far. No question about that. The comfort offered by the boards is amazing. And there's another benefit you may not be thinking about (chornbe will attest to this) -- boards will allow you to shift your feet and maneuver curves better. I can't explain why, but I can vouch for the validity of it. I'm much more confident in my turns now that I have boards.

So I'd encourage you to seriously consider them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I just put floorboards on my bike. They are a bit expensive, but I found the best price on monkeybutt.com.

Not to hijack the thread, but what kind of cruise pegs do you have waydog?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
waydawg said:
Like you, Ive been reasearching the floorboards but geez! They are a bit high in$$$. Im looking at the Kury ISO wings mini floorboards. Much cheaper than regular sized ones and I think for me, they would give me what Im looking for. Ive got the cruise pegs, Which I love for stretching out. But, It depends on how much you really want or need the exttra footroom the full boards would give.
I use the ISO mini wings with offset peg adapters, they work fine for me.
$20 or so for the adapters (1100 shadow/ GL1500 offsets),
$70 for the wings (got them on sale at crusier customizing)

installing the adapters was easier than I expected the hard part was that little spring inside that snaps them down when lifted...THAT was a bit of pain

oh, and I'm 6'6"....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
FLOORBOARDS

Recently someone asked this same question regarding a less expensive set of floorboards. One of the members responded about floorboards that he installed on his Honda Shadow ACE 1100 purchased online from the www.jcwhitney motorcycle website. 99.00. I emailed him and asked if he had to make any modifications which he said they fit fine. For that price they don't look to bad and are fully adjustable.
Good luck..........bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
SPIRIT05 said:
I just put floorboards on my bike. They are a bit expensive, but I found the best price on monkeybutt.com.

Not to hijack the thread, but what kind of cruise pegs do you have waydog?
Spirit 05, they are the kuryaken cruise mounts with the large kury pegs. I bought them from a member here sometimes last year. They are really nice for stretching your legs out Im 6'1. I also am able to put my heel on the footpeg and toe of boot on the cruise pegs, so it does offer a couple diffrent posistions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
TucsonDon said:
Floorboards are expensive, that I'll grant you. But they're also pretty sturdy things -- they have to be so support the full weight of the rider when they stand up.

I bought Cobra floorboards for my 1100 Spirit. Like you, I questioned the price and thought I was getting robbed.

But here's the thing -- it was by far the best $300 spent on my bike so far. No question about that. The comfort offered by the boards is amazing. And there's another benefit you may not be thinking about (chornbe will attest to this) -- boards will allow you to shift your feet and maneuver curves better. I can't explain why, but I can vouch for the validity of it. I'm much more confident in my turns now that I have boards.

So I'd encourage you to seriously consider them.
I bought a set of the cobra classics for my 1100 Spirit over the Holidays and they wouldn't fit :evil: They didn't work with the MC Enterprises full size engine guard. First, there isn't enough clearance up front. The guard gets in the way. Not to mention other issues due to the guard mounting at the right side peg location as well.
So, the 99 dollar adjustable floorboards might be an option.
Also bought a Cobra lightbar for wife's VLX, and it didn't work with the Memphis Shade shield. So, I'm working out some other options now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
SPIRIT05 said:
I just put floorboards on my bike. They are a bit expensive, but I found the best price on monkeybutt.com.

Not to hijack the thread, but what kind of cruise pegs do you have waydog?
I hope that Monkey butt this was a joke, I can't find the website at all???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
pegs

Troyboy:
I as well as you is tall (6'3) and I hate driving long distances with foot pegs...but when i look into the floorboards months ago i was amazed at the prices. Floorborads for $200-$300 !!!! i cant see spending the $$$$ but if it will ease my footing position and make it more comfortable to ride longer distances.... it might be worth the $$$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I sprung for the Cobra "swept" design floorboards. Never had a set before but had heard they were nice. Anyway, I'm 6'-2" 240lbs and since I put them on (01' Shadow Spirit 1100), I will NEVER go back to pegs!!! The only thing I was curious about them is that they don't fold up all the way. They only fold up about 1/4 of the way. I have drug the right side once, the left 2-3 times, but hasn't been an issue (they have a "feeler" tab on them). I LOVE em!!http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/maxxmuscle/mybike.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
i bought SET OF THE COBRA SWEPT BOARDS AT THE END OF SUMMER AND I FOUND THAT THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE SHIFTER ON THE LEFT SIDE WAS TOO LONG AN DIT STOPS THEBOARD FROM FOLDIG UP SO I HAD TO SHORTEN THE BOLT BUT I LIKE THE BOARDS OTHE THAN THE VIBRATION AND YOUR FEET(MINE ANYWAYS) TEND TO VIBRATE OFF THE BOARDS BUT I REALLY DO LIKE THEM. $300 WELL SPENT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
I put the $99 floorboards from JC Whitney on my Spirit 1100 and I'm really pleased with how they worked out. The only modifications I did to them was to remove the rubber isolation nubs and glue the pad directly to the board and I added a stainless steel strap to anchor them to my MC Enterprises Engine Guard. They are a rigid mount so you need to watch your cornering. Thanks to Kara I have ride bells on both sides that give me a nice cheerful dingle when I'm getting close to scraping. I've not scraped them yet on a corner and I can still corner fairly agressively. Ask Grampa.



sanoke

P.S. - See, my bike does get dirty. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
sanoke said:
I put the $99 floorboards from JC Whitney on my Spirit 1100 and I'm really pleased with how they worked out. The only modifications I did to them was to remove the rubber isolation nubs and glue the pad directly to the board and I added a stainless steel strap to anchor them to my MC Enterprises Engine Guard. They are a rigid mount so you need to watch your cornering. Thanks to Kara I have ride bells on both sides that give me a nice cheerful dingle when I'm getting close to scraping. I've not scraped them yet on a corner and I can still corner fairly agressively. Ask Grampa.



sanoke

P.S. - See, my bike does get dirty. :wink:
Glad you post this. Now I know they'll work on mine. Thanks.

saint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
I have the same ones Sonaoke has on his and ended up doing the same thing (gluing the pads directly to the boards and elliminating the rubbers. They will bolt right up, no problem and the price is right!! >PD<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
Do a search for floorboards, on the 24th of Dec there was a post titled ACE Floorboards, the last post is from Phil (the moderator). He has installed the same JC Whitney floorboards on his 750 ACE and has pictures on this post. I've got the same ones on my 1100 ACE and love them (and I"m 6'3")gives you a lot more foot position options.

Or you can just IM Phil.

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I've had the JC Whitney Harley Floorboards on my 1100 Spirit for about 4 years now and have had no problems with them at all. They bolted right up. I didn't glue the rubber on but left them as is.

My neighbor has a Harley Anniversary Edition and just looking they are exactly the same floorboards he has but he spent a whole lot more if he would have had to buy them.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
If concerned about cost .... I wanted floorboards for the comfort but I didn't like they way they looked on my bike (Spirit 750). A few weeks ago I put on the Kuryaken Switchblades (good pegs with the kickout heel rest). I love them! Makes a big difference on long rides yet I can fold them back in if on a road with tight turns.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top