Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know that the topic of oil has been beat to a bloody pulp around here. However, I would like to throw my two cents into the ring. Today, I drained out my Honda oil that I have religiously used for some time. After pouring over the abundance of information that this forum contains, I opted for Rotella T-6. I have yet to do any serious riding since the fluid swap, however I have noticed one pretty obvious difference with just 20 +/- miles logged so far. The overall ride has smoothed out tremendously. It just feels smoother--less vibrating. Again, after my morning ride tomorrow, I may come back and have a change of heart. However, I doubt it.

In addition, I changed the final drive oil today. I am pretty sure that this has never been done before. If it has, it has been a long time. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90. Again, shifting has improved substantially.

I have been reluctant to switch to synthetics. Especially with all the opinions leaning towards the dino stuff. That being said, I am impressed so far. Not only that, but I got to spend the better part of the morning maintaining my bike. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment to even complete basic tasks like changing the oil. I feel that I have gotten to know my bike more deeply today. And I could not be happier about it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I know what you mean about feeling good about it. I used to take my bike in for the oil change. I recently broke down and did my own work changing plugs (had to buy a $10 plug wrench but boy am I glad I did), changing gear oil, and putting a new air filter on. All of this is easy stuff but I used to pay to get it done. Tomorrow I will change the oil and MIGHT change the coolant. I have the coolant already but I'm still about 5,000 miles from needing to change it. I believe it's not due to be changed until 24,000 miles.

Jim

·
Registered
561 Posts
I couldn't agree more with everything said so far. I just changed the worn out thin syrup in my bike & wow glad I did! Now I wonder if it can even get better doing the drive fluid. Things are already smoother!! Temps are down too since changing the coolant too but that may be part of the cooler temps.
Can't wait now for the stock crashbar/engine guard to arrive in the mail. Yeah that was me on eBay, I won them with a bid of $22.50!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
So it was you Shadzilla, that out bid me. Guess I will have to keep looking....

I know what you guys are talking about. There is just the ultimate feeling when doing the work your self, getting your hands dirty, and just the smell of oil and grease. Its what seperates the men from the boys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I bought my bike it wasn't running at all and the PO said he thought a fuse was blown or something causing it to not start. I had done my research on this forum and decided I would rewire the R/R. As soon as I did that, the bike fired up with no problem. It is such an awesome feeling when you do your own work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts