Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have my first bike!! 2002 Honda VT750. When I bought it I had only ridden in the course to get me license. Now I have discovered I can't ride comfortably with the foot controls so far forward. Is they any way to move them more toward the center?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,660 Posts
Is it a VT750 ACE or Spirit?
VT750CD or VT750DC
Both were made in 2002 and this will have a bearing on your options.
A picture of the bike would be great too.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,660 Posts
Thanks for the picture that clears things up.
It is a VT750DC, a 750 Spirit, so AFAIK the controls are in stock position.
I'm more familiar with 750 ACE mods myself, so hopefully somebody more familiar with the Spirit can help.
Depending on your physique possibly recontouring the seat might help to bring you forward.
Others will likely have more suggestions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How do you find the bar position for your arms? It helps to be taller with those peg positions. You might get someone to fabricate some new brackets to bring the pegs back a little, but then you’ll have to deal with modifying the brake and shift levers.

The sad truth is, that bike might not be the one for you. You can try selling it for what you paid for it, and look for something with a more comfortable riding position for you.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
808 Posts
That’s a Spirit, which has the most forward stock controls of all of the 750 models, if you simply want a comfortable place to rest your feet and you can reach the shifter/brake when you need to use them then a set of floorboards positioned towards the rider might be just what you need to allow you to rest your feet further backwards, the brake pedal and shifter can be adjusted slightly to move them up/back with the factory adjustments as well.

As far as I am aware there is no bolt on method to move the factory controls backwards, only forwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the picture that clears things up.
It is a VT750DC, a 750 Spirit, so AFAIK the controls are in stock position.
I'm more familiar with 750 ACE mods myself, so hopefully somebody more familiar with the Spirit can help.
Depending on your physique possibly recontouring the seat might help to bring you forward.
Others will likely have more suggestions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you find the bar position for your arms? It helps to be taller with those peg positions. You might get someone to fabricate some new brackets to bring the pegs back a little, but then you’ll have to deal with modifying the brake and shift levers.

The sad truth is, that bike might not be the one for you. You can try selling it for what you paid for it, and look for something with a more comfortable riding position for you.
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing...

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing...
The only thing I don't care for on my bike is the same one you're having a problem with. The too-far-forward foot pegs are a major hindrance to riding it comfortably. Our bikes are what's called "cruiser style". For short hops, it suits me fine. For an afternoon of riding, it's a major pain in the butt. I even put long floorboards on it, and it doesn't really help at all.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, nobody likes practicing for practice’s sake. Unless you really love it, that‘s too much like work! If you could GET to liking that bike more, that would be one thing. But if it makes you not want to get on the bike at all? That’s not a good thing. But that’s why they come in so many sizes and styles.

For instance, I would love a superbike! But my height works against me on those, plus ‘old age‘ and a growing midsection... 😄 I can’t see them being fun at all to ride now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s a Spirit, which has the most forward stock controls of all of the 750 models, if you simply want a comfortable place to rest your feet and you can reach the shifter/brake when you need to use them then a set of floorboards positioned towards the rider might be just what you need to allow you to rest your feet further backwards, the brake pedal and shifter can be adjusted slightly to move them up/back with the factory adjustments as well.

As far as I am aware there is no bolt on method to move the factory controls backwards, only forwards.
Thank you - I think the floorboards may be the solution! Thank you thank you thank you!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a '09 spirit and feel the foot pegs are too far forward too.
After reading this thread I went and looked at the pegs position and believe I can fab something to bolt-on to move the pegs back.
My former bike had foot pegs too far back so I was sitting on my junk and way too much knee bend...not good.
I fabbed some peg extensions that worked out great and bought both a shifter/brake pedal, used, off ebay and lengthened them.
They would like the opposite these:

I have a design in mind to move the Shadow pegs back and put a heal shifter on to be able to shift, but the shift pattern will be opposite.
I'm gearing up for a MC trip so this mod will have to wait until my return.
I'll post back once I have started this work.

That and I know I've seen footpegs that have swing out "forwards" and thought those might work as swing out "rearwards" if installed the left one on the right, right one on the left.
Reaching the shifter/brake pedal would be difficult.

I currently ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs rather than my arch but it's hard to get my feet up to the shifter/brake pedal fighting the wind at highway speeds, not that I'd be doing any shifting or braking then.
Highway speeds are posted 80 mph in Idaho so everyone is going 85/87'ish mph.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts