Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left foot is fine but my right foot keeps vibrating down and out from the peg. There were times when I went for the brake and was able to make just a little contact with the pedal before my foot slipped off. Does anyone else have this problem?

Since my left foot doesn't do that, I don't think it's the boots but anyway, here's what I wear.

Shadow Drifter Waterproof Motorcycle Boots - Competition Accessories

· Registered
353 Posts
My left foot is fine but my right foot keeps vibrating down and out from the peg. There were times when I went for the brake and was able to make just a little contact with the pedal before my foot slipped off. Does anyone else have this problem?

Since my left foot doesn't do that, I don't think it's the boots but anyway, here's what I wear.

Shadow Drifter Waterproof Motorcycle Boots - Competition Accessories
I have this problem too only it's my fault. I wear sneakers that are pretty much bald on the bottom. If I wear my boots it doesn't happen. I prefer to wear my sneakers so I just deal with it. By the way, I have mini boards not pegs. Still.

· Registered
118 Posts
You're not the only one. The pegs on not in a great position for either of my feet. I always felt like my left foot was just barely haning on and I'm 5'10", so my legs are theoretically long enough to reach them. Putting on full sized Cobra floorboards changed my foot comfort in a big way.
As a side note, the foot lever for the clutch also felt an inch too low, so I had it adjusted up. Before it seemed like I had to really dig my left toes down to get under the lever. The break lever was adjust down slightly for my right foot comfort. Now all is super comfortable and I have greater control. Try full sized floorboards. Don't go mini.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
To coin a song lyrics (kinda)...
These Boots were made for Riding...
Not a problem for me with proper footwear while riding my Bike...

5 different feet positions for me, none of which cause my boots to slip off any of the pegs,
D

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
This has me wondering ==>
You MAY be able to adjust the footrest, either chemically, mechanically, or by abrasion to make it adhere to your boot better???

· Registered
1,696 Posts
I was wearing some Timberline knock-off type leather boots and the arch was a snug fit to the peg. I have a hard time getting my left boot out if my toe is under the shifter. The right one stays put. I can also hook the heels over the passenger pegs, get a good forward lean into the wind, and fully relax that way.

Maybe there is a different style foot peg with a larger lip at the end that would help, or floorboards?

· Registered
7,916 Posts
Floorboards are the way to go. You will wonder how you ever rode without them!

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
As a side note, the foot lever for the clutch also felt an inch too low, so I had it adjusted up. Before it seemed like I had to really dig my left toes down to get under the lever. The break lever was adjust down slightly for my right foot comfort. Now all is super comfortable and I have greater control. Try full sized floorboards. Don't go mini.
No foot lever for the clutch. I think you meant shift lever. Clutch lever is mounted on the left side of the handlebar.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad I raised this issue. Thanks to all the comments I know I'm not a crazy new rider.

As a side note, the foot lever for the clutch also felt an inch too low, so I had it adjusted up. Before it seemed like I had to really dig my left toes down to get under the lever. The break lever was adjust down slightly for my right foot comfort. Now all is super comfortable and I have greater control.

^^^^ I want to do this.

How much does it cost? I'm hesitant at investing too much in this bike as it won't be a long term bike.

· Registered
320 Posts
My bikes have come with floorboards. I cannot imagine trying to deal with pegs.

· Registered
118 Posts
Bugler: +1 on foot pegs sucking wind. Full sized floor boards are awesome for safety and comfort, both.

Cost wise, it was about $50 for the shop to make all the adjustments to hand and foot controls. The foot/toe lever for the clutch does take them time to take apart.
Even after they adjusted the hand lever for the clutch, I still hated the stock lever. Unfortunately, it cannot be adjust any closer to my hand because of the way it's made. It could be closer to my palm and the clutch would still work fine. I have a large hand, according to glove sizing, but I still feel like the thing is too far out on finger tips--especially while wearing gloves of any kind. I have read that this is a common problem for many other riders, also. There is a great mod (modification) part to solve this problem. I just a bought a pair of new brake and clutch levers off of Amazon to replace the old ones for $56. They are easily installed by any bonehead like me. The new levers have 6 adjustable positions to choose from to make your reach of the levers perfect.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQJQ1GU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did I find out about this mod part? I found a site that lists many helpful and cool mods for my Honda Shadow VT750dc. For example, the new levers are known to fit my bike perfectly, but I wouldn't have known that by the way the manufacturer lists the mod part.
Shadow Spirit 750 Product Reviews - VT750DC.com

Bottom line: I'm safer having precise control of my cycle.

· Registered
191 Posts
I don't know if vibration is part of the problem with me, I think it's more the wind at higher speeds, maybe, I need a thigh master. My knees get blown away from the tank making the thigh muscles get tired, maybe floor boards would help a bit.

· Banned
5,100 Posts
it's interesting because foot pegs should not really be causing this problem unless someone put wax on them or Armorol (sp) etc.

I did experience the feeling of my right foot wanting to slip away off the Peg quite often
especially at higher speeds. I knew I was going to floorboards so didn't ride with pegs
for long.

Outside of the pegs being contaminated, like I said above, wondering if the issue really wasn't Me and my riding "body language" or IOW I was tense on the bike and not relaxed and not letting my body weight and legs really settle into the Bike/Pegs.

The fact that the LEFT peg didn't seem to be an issue suggests to me that this is true and that I was somehow more relaxed on the LEFT peg, perhaps due to the shifter being there.

If you really don't want floorboards at this time i would suggest cleaning the Rubber Pads on your Pegs by wiping them with rubbing alcohol and focus on relaxing the right leg letting its weight be on the Peg fully. The right soles on your Boots/Shoes is equally important as a clean Peg surface.

or something like that .... lol

· Registered
178 Posts
Another consideration for condition of the pegs (slightly different then then being contaminated by something causing slip) is the hardening of the rubber over time. Depending on how bike is stored (i.e. parked where sunlight usually hits one peg but not the other) could affect the UV exposure causing the rubber on one to harden more than the other. If that is the problem then you can probably just replace the rubber portion of the peg.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I don't know if vibration is part of the problem with me, I think it's more the wind at higher speeds, maybe, I need a thigh master. My knees get blown away from the tank making the thigh muscles get tired, maybe floor boards would help a bit.
I have just fitted the boards of my 750 on to my 93 VT1100C and they feel quite comfy, I need to tweak the shifter position a bit more but as my foot is supported over the full length so it must help your issue as it should stop the foot twisting.

I used to ride with my heels on the pegs a lot on twisty roads to stop them dragging.... No issue now :)

· Registered
365 Posts
Your not crazy, I've noticed the problem as well. Sometimes I have to move my right foot forward on the peg to get away from it feeling like it's slipping off. Also, I like the security of knowing I don't have to lift my foot to get to the brake if I have to stop quickly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.