Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed many posts here of folks that stopped riding for 20-30+ years then started again. Just curious why the long pause in between? When I decided to start riding several weeks ago, I got all of the usual talks form non-riders about death and destruction, taking out a life insurance policy on me, etc.

I'm wondering if it had to do with kids? That's my biggest "guilt" around riding now is having two little girls at home. A co-worker shared that's why he waited until he was 48 to ride again after 25+ years off. Wanted to wait until his son was older. I'm wondering if I'm selfish by choosing to ride with a family at home depending on me, and if that's why many of you gave it up for a while? Just wanted to get some perspective from others.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think for a lot of us, taking the time to enjoy an endeavor that is basically a one or two person venture is taking away from more qualitive family time. There's also the expenses involved and unless the bike is used as a commuter, not the best bang for the buck. There's also the provider issue...if you are hurt and unable to work, how are the bills going to get paid. For us, it ws more about the time away from the kids.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Kids...but not for 'safety' reasons. It was the time factor. We chose not to utilize daycare and I was on shift work so it was pretty much round the clock tag-team parenting with some grandmom thrown in.

Also contributing, but not as much of a reason was the loss of a garage to keep the bike in. I watched my 82 GS650 degrade quickly while stored under a tarp in the yard. Eventually sold it of to someone who had time to ride.

Been back riding just about a year now... Kids are 30, 18, and 15, still no garage, but I have a better tarp now...

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me, it was a matter of cutting back on a lot of things when I went back to school in the early '90s. Then by the time that I finished grad school it had been 9 years and I really didn't think about it for a while.

I started thinking about it again when I had more disposable income and thought it would be a fun way to save gas and keep miles off of my leased vehicle.

It's good to be back.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
When I started in the late 60's early 70's, I was sneaking in rides on friends bikes, doing so and owning a bike were not allowed by my folks, then not allowed by my bride/wife (now of 31years). Well, the kids are gone, the wife's sleeps on the couch and has for years (COPD), so what was stopping me, so for our 25th anniversary I bought the "silver" vlx for me, and gave her a "silver" dollar, as "silver" is the appropriate gift for 25 yrs. Now 6 years and 53,099 miles later, life is good, I am retired, plenty of time to ride or not.,, mostly ride.

mark

OK under the wife's silver dollar were diamonds,, true story

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I took a 20 year hiatus mainly because of the kids. We live out in the country and generally needed the car to transport the kids into town for daycare, mall visits etc. Now they drive so I'm back at it. I just wish we didn't have such long winters.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a bike when i was 17 for a few years, got rid of it and didn't get another till i was 34. sold that 3 years ago and got another one last month. For me i stopped for a few reasons. Firstly i lived in a large city and really didn't relish driving there. It was dangerous enough in a car, i don't think i would have enjoyed the bike.

Secondly it was time and money and priorities. At this point in my life i have more time and getting out on the road to relax is alot more appealing now. I never had kids so that was never an issue, it was just lack of time. Nowdays i look for more ways to relax as well and things like having a bike is more important to me now than it used to be.

Now if only i could afford a trike for the wife so i could turn my vlx into a bobber and not have to worry about a seat for her i'd be set. Why do trikes have to be so expensive?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The last time I rode I was around 15. Then I took up flying. Had a family and kept flying. Husband has always pretty much had a bike.

I can't fly anymore because of a lower back injury and needed something to fill the void. A motorcycle fits nicely.

As for being a dangerous sport. Absolutely, but then again so is flying. The key is to minimize the risk by being well trained, understanding the dangers and anticipating potential problems.

I would never ask my husband to give up something he loves and he would never do the same to me.

In reality, more people die every day from car accidents then airplanes and bikes combined. I refuse to live my life in fear but at the same time I wear a seat belt and a helmet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I sold my bike when the baby was on her way. Was as much for safety as for getting down payment money for a "family vehicle." I fell back into it when she was 8, when a sportster was given to me. Sold that to help finance the new business. Bought another bike when the business started doing well. My daughter is 12 now and loves the bike. She's always riding with me. Today was her first day of 7th grade and she wanted to get dropped off on the bike. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but how many pre teens will risk helmet hair on the first day of school?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I didn't give it up for financial reasons or for safety reasons. I sold a bike and had intended on buying another but long story short after my divorce I became the single dad to a 7 and 4 year old. Not only could I not throw them in the saddle bags I rarely got time alone durng the day to ride. I had a babysitter come on Friday and Saturday nights so I could go out but that was dating time. I lived in Vegas and there was a lot for a 30-something single guy to do on a Friday or Saturday night!

I thought about getting another bike many times over the years but it just wasn't practical. Boating and waverunners became our family recreation. First in Nevada (Lake Mead) and later here. I love boating and the water so it more than filled the void.

As my kids got older (they are 21 and almost 18 now), got their driver licenses and off to college they want less time with dad and more time with their friends. I think my son has been out on the boat 3 times this year and my daughter 2. Since they both have their own cars owning a bike is more practical. I am remarried but unfortunately my wife will not get on the bike. Maybe some day.

As far as the safety aspect I still have people who depend on me financially so you might say that getting another bike was a bit irresponsible but I try not to look at life that way. I could just as easily get hurt in a car accident, boat accident, waverunner accident, diving or any of the other things I enjoy. If I thought that way I'd probably never leave the house.

On the other hand the one thing that worries me about having a bike is now my son (21) wants one. A few days after I bought mine he wanted to go to the DMV and take his permit test. He's been e-mailing Craigslist ads for bikes for weeks. I guess it's one thing to accept the danger of the choices that I as a 41 year old man make but it's a whole other thing to assist my son in making the same dangerous decisions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had and rode many honda motorcycles 20 - 35 years ago sold my last bikes when my first son was born 21 years ago Dec 1989 to pay his hospital bills.
My other son turned 19 in Dec ..

So
My 21 year old son wanted to learn to ride
and
i went to the honda shop and purchased my self a new 2009 honda 250 rebel for christmas and i even let the wifey pick it out for me .... she liked the blue so i paid the man and took it home...
My son learned the basics on it and soon found a 1983 CX 650 custom he wanted so we bought it . It turned out to have stator problems and we sold it and purchased a 1985 vt500 shadow for him..
He took his road test on the vt500 shadow and scored 100%.
soon after we were at our local dealer and he saw a 750 Catana he wanted .

since june 15 he has put 8000 miles on the can-o-tuna

so that is what he rides now and I sold the 250 back to the shop where i got it and bought the 2004 1100 sabre .
We ride togather most every evening and on weekends we do a lot of 500 plus mile runs.

so i took21 years to raise the family
and
now i am back and I ride -em like i stole -em:!:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Stopped in 93---Had 2 little girls as single dad---So yeah it was too selfish for me to continue---Plus I was too crazy on the street back then and I was all these kids had----Just started to ride again right now.

Kenny

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your last statement about your son is also the case with me except my son is 14. He is talking about getting a bike. It made me step back for a bit and think about him riding a bike and makes me think in a whole different world about him riding. I am 53 and it had been 25 years since my first bike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Back in the day I had a bunch of bikes. After I graduated from college and got a job I bought a brand new '75 Norton Commando. I got married, got a house, and money got tight. Sold it in '86 (VERY DUMB MOVE- I wish I still had it-best handling bike I've ever ridden!) but never let my MC endorsement lapse. As time went on and the finances got better, I got the itch and got in and out of a few bikes. I fixed 'em up and sold them making a few $ on each one. I stashed the cash and waited for the right deal to come along. Doing it that way kept momma from getting too excited. Last summer about this time, I bought an '85 VT700. That's how I found this forum and fell in love with the 1100's. I fixed the 700 up, sold it, made a few more $ and waited for the right deal to come along. I stole this one and plan on keeping it for quite a while. Other than sweat equity in fixing and selling bikes from '02 until now, I've got maybe $300 bucks in my baby. No kids, so can't use that as an excuse. Just tight $ that comes along with a young couple just getting started.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
seems after i sold my last one never gave it much thought and then the kids do take alot of time but so glad im back on it and my older boy has one too so works out well

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I used to ride mopeds as a kid at a friends house. My parents would never allow me to have one, way too dangerous...lol. No motorcycles as long as I lived at home so not going to happen through high school. I didn't really pursue it during college, had other things to keep me distracted. I married my wife before my senior year in college and right after she graduated nursing school. She was adamantly against motorcycles.....so a couple of years later I did the intelligent thing by buying an 82 Honda Magna without telling her. I paid dearly for that and quickly sold it, lol.

In the mean time our financial situation steadily improved as I moved up the ladder at work and my wife continued her career as a nurse. We had our oldest daughter 2 years ago, and our 2nd daughter 4 months ago. Financially, riding isn't an issue... Not made of money by any means, but its not a strain on our budget. Plan to ride to work most days and maybe some weekend mornings before the girls are up, thus shouldn't impact family time.

Everything fits except the timing of me choosing to ride with two little ones at home. In my mind, riding as safely as I can mitigates much of the risk, but there is risk nonetheless. While I currently plan to continue riding, that's my main concern, justifying my need to ride vs. What's best for my family.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Similar here. Didn't give up riding due to saftey & young kids but didn't get into sky diving because of young kids. Gave up riding due to $ and as the kids got older, 2nd vehicles needed to be driven by everyone, not just me. Came back to it when $ was better but also because I wanted "my time & space". It allows me to be alone, doing what I want to do, not having to answer to anybody. My day job, I'm accountable to everybody. On my bike, it's just me :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Also about 20 years in between, just the usual, college, kids, etc. Started back 2 years ago and am loving it. Might upgrade some day, dw asked if I would sell this Shadow. I want to keep it in the stable. She doesn't understand why I could possibly want 2 bikes. Well, my twin boys will probably want to ride someday ... But haven't told her that's the reason yet.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Owned and rode from age 14 to age 27. Sold my bike to pay for my "then SO's" last quarter of college. Moved, got busy raising kids and trying to make ends meet, and never lived in a place where I could reasonably keep a bike. 11 years ago things changed for the better... kids grown, became single, went on the road with my job, no room for a bike. Did buy a plane though, enjoyed that for many years. Sold it a couple years ago to help buy a house, and decided to get back into riding. Picked up My BMW last summer, rode it some, worked on it all winter, and have had a completely trouble-free summer with it, enjoying and feeling once again like I'm livin' the dream :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I had kids, but didn't quit riding for that reason.
Simply, the lack of money. I had worn my bike out, literally, (dropped twice, once it was stolen from me and set on fire, resurrected, etc.).
I sold it for some cash because I needed it, and didn't have the money to replace it. After a while without it, I didn't miss it too bad. BUT, the fire never went out.

After about 25 yrs, high fuel prices and long commute to work, the bride said "maybe you need to get another bike". It took me about 10 seconds to start shopping for one!!!
Getting back in the saddle, everything came back so fast it was almost like I didn't miss a beat.
I had been there, done that , on the old bike, and it gets entrenched in your head.
Dan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.