Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you know Im still researching info on bikes. My question is, for people like myself who know nothing of mechanics of cars nor motorcycles....is there any websites you could suggest I look at to really get to know the mechanics of a motorcycle, and maybe what each piece does. Or some basic knowledge on repairs tune ups of your bikes...things that people really need to know how to do their selves from time to time. I dont want to be the guy who has to pay every time I want something tuned up or fixed on my bike. I would like to do and learn things myself.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Most things are really easy to do, but it sure helps if you can find an experience person to walk you through the first one, oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, installing new disc brake pads etc. Even pulling wheels is no big deal once you have done it once.

You will need to NOT worry about how much you spend on tools...PERIOD....no debate on this subject. Do not make it a habit of borrowing your neigbors tools, unless you wouldn't mind him borrowing your wife regularly....

You will have to buy the CORRECT tool when you need it.
Don't use pliers and vise grips on anything that has a bolt or screw head....unless it's already been rounded off - learn from other's mistakes.

You absolutely should beg, borrow or buy the appropriate Honda Factory Service Manual.

You WILL make mistakes and occasinally they WILL be costly to fix in either time or money.....no education is free.......don't worry about it, but do learn from your mistakes.

Lot's of folks on line to help, but you can only explain things to a certain degree with the written word, some mechanicial thing take a littel finesse and feel to prevent breakage and strippage......but it's the exception not the rule that things get bunged up.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You might want to check with local dealer/s (yeah, I know dealers or stealers) to see IF they have "classes" for winterizing" your bike. Or other related subjects about tires, suspension seminars at the dealership. SOME still do these type things. :shock: Sometimes they has these "seminars" for different model owners or even just women!!! Even IF your not "self-help inclined"....you might happen to meet someone living nearby who IS or at least has a little more knowledge than you. Together you might be able to help each other.

Maybe taking a "small engine" repair course at a local high school/vo-tech would help as well...if possible. Other that these things.... look for other "sites" on the net, try to get a book on "general motorcycle repair", read, read, read........then ask as many "dumb" questions as needed. After a time (dependent upon learning skills and how many times you hit your thumb with a hammer.......you magically become a "shadetree hammer mechanic" like the rest of us smucks........except "litnin" !!!!! He's real good!!!! :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Mad,

There is a tool kit with your bike in/under the right side cover. Hope you know "how" to get it out of there.

This is a basic "emergeny" kit. Not the best quality, but gives you the basics need for "on road" repairs. But many supplement their kits with selcted add-on's for example, larger pliers/channellocks. And then, most have a wide selcetion of screwdrivers, pliers, ratchet/socket sets (3/8" or 1/2"), metric T-handled "hex wrenches", torque wrench among others ain the "home garage". As your skill level increases so does the "tool requirements" and this GUY thing......going to Sears, Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, Pep Boys, Auto Zone for the always needed "new tool"!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol:

You may see a "posted thread" somewhere in the General/tech section about this very subject. Try to find it and look and see what other have done.

Bullzeyet

G

·
0 Posts
MaddestHatter said:
what tools are an absolute must have for your bike?
Allen wrenches
Spark plug socket
I assume we are talking metric bikes for reference
so a good metric socket set is advisable
oil filter wrench ( I prefer the cup style )
the most essential tool in my opinion however is a service manual

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
You absolutely should beg, borrow or buy the appropriate Honda Factory Service Manual.
I totally agree, get the service manual for your bike (check ebay).

then read it - not cover to cover, but 1/2 hour here, 1/2 hour there as necessity and curiosity dictates. Then kinda go out and look at your bike and how it fits with what you just read about. I promise you will get to know how your bike works by doing this - even if you have no prior experience.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
This thread reminds me of an event which I attended a couple of weeks ago. It was a "tech day", one of a regular series of such events organized over the KLR650 forum. Basically a bunch of KLR owners decide to get together in somebody's garage for a day of working on their bikes as a group. Since there are always a few who have a lot of experience they can guide the newbies through the usual maintainence and modifications; and also it's a way to share the special tools (like carb synch gauges) that are sometimes needed, or even some not-so-special like torque wrenches and impact drivers that not every owner will have. I did a couple of things on my bike in a few hours that would have taken me a day or two to do on my own, just because the first time through any procedure you have to go very slowly and there are often moments when even the best repair or service manual gets kind of vague or confusing or leaves out something important. Having an experienced hand at your side giving tips and advice greatly compresses the learning curve.

So instead of group rides every time, why not get together for a regional Shadow tech day now and then? Because everybody is together in a garage instead of riding it's also a great opportunity to shoot the breeze as well as get some work done. Coffee and donuts in the morning, pizza for lunch, making new friends or meeting old ones, and working on your bike -- what's not to like?

·
Registered
865 Posts
wren said:
MaddestHatter said:
what tools are an absolute must have for your bike?

Beer fridge in the shed.
I'll second that.

IMO, the so called tool kit that came with my Spirit isn't worth the space it takes up. It's just a cheap screwdriver and one allen wrench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts