Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the kickstand doesn't sink in hot asphalt
Exactly, my first ever new bike, not even a week since I bought it, stopped at a friends house parked on his asphalt driveway, came out because we heard a noise, there was my bike on its side dent in the tank and broken rear turn signal.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
oooohhhh. I get it. Asphalt is not very common up here because the drastic temp differences here give it a very short life span but it used to be used more when I was a kid. I do remember it getting quite pliable on the summer months. Here with summers reaching highs of 30 to 35°C (86 to 95°F) and winters hitting lows of -30 to -35° C -22 to -30°F) even pavement has to be redone every 5 to 10 years

·
Registered
110 Posts
Smart...
I remember when I first started riding, I would ride to a store on my xs1100 and be in for 30 min. come back outside and bike was leaning severly and kick stand dug into asphalt a couple inches. Luckily it never fell over. From that point on I was always would look for some stones or wood to put under my stand.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I was gifted one from a distributor. Had to paint it orange as its a little hard to see at night at work.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I tie a few feet of string on mine. Loop the loose end oner the handlebars, that way you don't forget and leave it lay.

Also easier to pick up by the string after you have mounted your sled and put the stand up...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I always keep one in the tank big and one in the saddlebag.
One for me, one in case I ride off and forget the first one, or to give to someone who forgot one.
They are often offered as freebies at various events...most of mine say Geico. :smile2:

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
I tie a few feet of string on mine. Loop the loose end oner the handlebars, that way you don't forget and leave it lay.

Also easier to pick up by the string after you have mounted your sled and put the stand up...
I pass out "kick stand pads" at our ABATE of GA events which our lawyer provides...
Yeah I gotta string attached to mine too, I`ve left a couple when I forgot to pick it up ;)

Therapy is painful, BUT I`m progressing,
D

·
Registered
349 Posts
oooohhhh. I get it. Asphalt is not very common up here because the drastic temp differences here give it a very short life span but it used to be used more when I was a kid. I do remember it getting quite pliable on the summer months. Here with summers reaching highs of 30 to 35°C (86 to 95°F) and winters hitting lows of -30 to -35° C -22 to -30°F) even pavement has to be redone every 5 to 10 years
we hit 101 in LA over the weekend. Gross.
There's plenty of asphault out here but I never had an issue with it. I should pick something up to use and keep with me in case anyway.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
It also works on grassy areas.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

I did that when I was using a 4 x 4 electrical box cover and forgot it was hanging by the handlebar a couple of times. Almost nailed my bike. Now I have a bright orange stand that hangs by bright dayglo yellow string.

·
Registered
459 Posts
we hit 101 in LA over the weekend. Gross.
There's plenty of asphault out here but I never had an issue with it. I should pick something up to use and keep with me in case anyway.

It's more a problem in driveways or at least that's what I have noticed.

I have a little block of wood in my saddle bag. It stands out so I don't just leave but if I do no big deal I'll just cut another.

For that matter I try to always park in the shade so my seat isn't 120 degrees when I get back on it. I'll roll right up under a tree and park. No one has ever said anything to me.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have a piece of 1 x 4 x 6" board in my saddlebag too and keep an eye on what the foot is going down on, the board also puts more weight back on the tires, by steepening the angle.
I think the main problem is with new asphalt and poorly compacted asphalt on a hot day, agreed driveways are the worst.

I avoid parking my heavy leaned over cruiser in damp areas, or fancy looking grass.

The hefty lean on the Shadow kick stands can work for you, up to a point, on cross slopes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
avoid parking my heavy leaned over cruiser in damp areas, or fancy looking grass.

The hefty lean on the Shadow kick stands can work for you, up to a point, on cross slopes.

ya, wassup with that!! my 99 aero feels like i'm laying it completely on it's side, the kick stand is so short. On my 95 ace it was not leaned down as much

·
Registered
77 Posts
FYI

soda can / pop can / similar...stomped flat works rather well and I have begun to reli on finding them at the places I stop for a bit ....at home:work: regular iron plate is just left in place..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Never though of the electrical plate-good call. I always carry a freebie "ad" plate from Geico from bike rallies

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Yellow pad with bright pink string tied on it. wrapped around the handle bar or mirror you cant for get it...
In case of and emergency stop just off of the road you better have something!
I bet mine is visible in 10 or so tags I have claimed in the tag game:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts